Wear your sunscreen THPers! Skin cancer happens.

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
Just got back from the dermatologist where I had gone to have a couple of suspicious spots looked at. One was pre-cancer and they sprayed it with liquid Nitrogen to remove, the other larger spot is likely already cancer or late pre-cancer. Doc took a biopsy of that one and we'll know in a week what type it is and what the next steps are. Its likely to be Squamous Cell cancer which does not spread to other organs and can be either cut out or burned.

WEAR YOUR SUN SCREEN! I certainly didn't for many years when I was a young man and that's what is causing this now. I had a Basal Cell cancer removed from my nose in the late 90's and have been fairly diligent about wearing sunscreen since. Time for me to step up and always wear it.

Absolutely!!! The sun is no joke and I've had family members deal with it. Apply, apply, apply

Dang Barry, glad you got it in time dude. I've never worn it and between you and Ken, you've scared me into it.

Just put a fresh thing of it in my bag for this weekend. No reason to think the big C can't strike you. Hope everything comes out ok Barry and you get that treated.

hate to hear this and hopefully it turns out positively for you.

I will admit i'm the worse at applying sunscreen (I never do) & I should probably start.

That sucks Barry. Hoping for the best for you pal.

Fingers crossed for you and well done for posting, hopefully your thread will encourage folks to get that block on.

A great reminder for sure.

Wow! Definitely a wake up call, glad you got there when you did buddy! Hope all is well with you!

Happened to me ten years ago. All has been well since. Sun screen is a must. Life is better than a tan.

Hope that get that removed quickly. I am pretty diligent about wearing it, but it's always good to have a reminder of what can happen if you don't.

Skin cancer survivor here as well ...

I hope the younger folks reading this thread really take heed from us old farts ... the doc said a lot of my damage was done years ago ... like when I was a teenager and young adult ... we NEVER wore sunscreen ...

So please, everyone wear protection, especially you young folks (sounds like a commercial for condoms) :act-up:

Sorry to hear that! Bill and I have both had it too. It seems like a ton of the GA THPers have dealt with it. I hope everything goes well with the biopsy.

Could not agree more. Good luck with everything Barry

great message. Three times melanoma for me. Luckily I'm still here. Like you said, when we were young I don't think there even was such a thing as sun screen other than the white paste you would see on people's noses. All there was, was suntan lotion. Now I see very little lotion and all kinds of sun screen.

After hearing stories from other THPers I've been getting better about wearing sunscreen. Hope everything comes back negative Barry!

Yes sir! This fair skinned golfer has to put it on to survive! Takes about a minute to do with all the sprays out there now. Hope the result comes back as positive as it can be!

Yep, previous threads on this, but good reminder. I had a little pimple like spot on my nose and it turned out to be lentiga melanoma. 6 years ago, no re-occurrence yet. Had to have Mohs surgery. Now I go to the dermatologist every 6 months. My generation treated summer sunburn like a badge of courage. Paying the price now, though.

Good reminder. Being fair skinned i picked up sunscreen for this weekend last night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Wishing the best for you Barry.

Like some of my other "wise" brothers here. I just started using SS a couple years ago.

Until then tan legs were more important ( he says vainly)

Now I use it all the time and have to white legs to prove it.

But don't forget the ears and back of the neck they are two spots often missed.

Hope everything turns out alright Barry, skin cancer is nothing to play with. Thanks for the reminder, I almost always apply sunscreen but I seem to be less diligent about reapplying. Reapplying is the key and I have been doing better lately.

Good luck with the biopsy, Barry!! I am always looking for the highest SPF that I can find and this just re - enforces that decision.

Be the ball!!

Thanks for the warning & hope everything works out for the best.

I'll just add that since I started losing my hair, I've always tried to wear a hat outside. This year I'm going with a wide-brim job instead of a baseball cap style, just so I can protect my neck & ears better. I've decided being cancer-free is more important than looking good.

Glad to hear it sounds like it can be dealt with. I have a bad habit of forgetting my sunscreen. I also share my Dad's genes being follicley challenged. He is dealing with skin cancer on his head and nose. I need to be more diligent.

Not sorry you are having to deal with this Barry because that means they caught it in time to take care of business. It's amazing how many people I know that are dealing with sun related problems.. I'm treating two places right now with the chemical peel so it's like an on going deal for me. Take care buddy and stay on top of these and for all you young folks, take it seriously!

Back