The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Practice, accept your limitations as a human, and focus on the good things you have going on.

That one line is the view I wish everyone of us could come to True Blue and Caledonia with. I know some will put too much pressure on themselves to allow it to be that simple, but that is outstanding wisdom for this and other events.

This has been a real struggle for me through this journey. I'm on a team with 7 great guys who play some amazing golf, and I really don't want to be the weak link that costs them a shot at winning this thing. I've been pushing myself since December, and I was hoping to be further along than I am, but with the way things are going, I feel like I'm in cram mode before a big test.

My wife actually commented that I don't seem to enjoy golf as much lately, always coming home complaining about not playing well enough, and to be honest it hasn't been as fun trying to live up to my expectations. I'm caught between this place of wanting to improve for my team and this event, and still having fun with golf; I feel like if I focus on having fun and not worrying about my score, I'm not working hard enough for my team. I'm going to try and take a few days off from actual golf and just practice things without the pressure to score and see how that goes. I keep telling myself that this is the work part and the reward will be reaped in Myrtle, and that keeps me working when I want to coast down the home stretch.

I have been in this same spot buddy. Just keep pushing. Go out and play some practice rounds and dont keep score. Focus on just making good decisions and playing to the best of your ability. We all think we should be shooting par but its just not the case. We all have limitations. Embrace that and just focus on getting a little better every day. Look back to when you started and see how far you have come. I did that and its like I am completely a different person and golfer.

This has been a real struggle for me through this journey. I'm on a team with 7 great guys who play some amazing golf, and I really don't want to be the weak link that costs them a shot at winning this thing. I've been pushing myself since December, and I was hoping to be further along than I am, but with the way things are going, I feel like I'm in cram mode before a big test.

My wife actually commented that I don't seem to enjoy golf as much lately, always coming home complaining about not playing well enough, and to be honest it hasn't been as fun trying to live up to my expectations. I'm caught between this place of wanting to improve for my team and this event, and still having fun with golf; I feel like if I focus on having fun and not worrying about my score, I'm not working hard enough for my team. I'm going to try and take a few days off from actual golf and just practice things without the pressure to score and see how that goes. I keep telling myself that this is the work part and the reward will be reaped in Myrtle, and that keeps me working when I want to coast down the home stretch.
I can't tell how to be but I can tell that win or lose, you're team doesn't expect you to carry the load or play above your head. I know that your team will live abs die as a team.

If you win it's as a team, if you lose it's as a team. Stop pushing yourself and start enjoying this grand event. Your have will be what it will be no matter what you do from this day forward. All you can do is show up and play.

Enough of the negative outlook, you have game. Maybe not Panda Game :D but you have game. And trust me one inflated ego is all we need, I got that in spades. You just need to realize that you in fact are a gamer, I know it and I'm waiting on you to catch up. I've watched this transformation in your swing that gives me a sense of accomplishment. I'd tee it with you as my partner any day of the week. And I promise you we would win more than we would loose.

YOU ARE A MORGAN CUPPER! Believe it, live it, love it!

I think we all have been here at some point in time buddy. There are a few routes you can go that I think might help. One would be to take a few days off and get your mind completely off of golf. See if you can light that fire back up in you. Then come back out and try to make practice fun by making it a little bit of a competition to challenge yourself and get you a little more focused

Also, maybe have a day where you just focus on hitting a club or doing an aspect of the game you are already good at. See if you can build your confidence back up and slowly add parts in

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

It's not like I'm going to be ready to smack you in the ankle if you miss a putt in round 1. Just breathe, we'll laugh it up and have a good time with Maynard and JN.

Also, the ankle bone is susceptible to hits to it from a wedge or putter. Fun fact of the day :angel:

I was in your place last summer, as I've posted about in the past in this thread. Take a few days off, then do what DevRickus said: just go play, don't keep score, just hit shots. It's funny how well people can play when they put the scorecard away and just focus on trying to make the best swing that they can. Also remember that the Morgan Cup is match play, so every hole is a new challenge. Just because you put up a high number on one hole doesn't mean that the match is over, you still have a way to compete in match play because you've only lost one hole.

The competition side of this event dictates that we all continue the journey til the end. But there is a fun side of this event that should not be lost. I know we all want to show the world, our teammates and ourselves the best we have. But realizing you've reached that best point is key.

Take stock in your game and really look at all the positives not the negatives. It's golf, it's filled with highs and low. Don't let the low dictate where you actually might be. If you feel you need a break, take one for a few days and relax. Trust me when I say you'll be in a better place. Let the mind forget the negative, recharge and then get back at it.

I know each and everyone of you has sacrificed a lot for the game we love and I promise it will be evident once the ball drops in MB. TRUST, in yourself, in your commitment and in your goal. Hold your heads high and prepare for the BEST DAMN GOLF EVENT EVER!! PERIOD!

Words to take to the heart. This past weekend was such an awesome experience and on the way home I kept looking forward to July. I learned a lot this weekend, not just about putting, but about the good things that are happening. Some of the things I have been working on really shined for me and validated the work. Others, not so much, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am a better golfer this year and much more consistent.

Let's go boys!

JM

This was all me last year.

Also, the ankle bone is susceptible to hits to it from a wedge or putter. Fun fact of the day :angel:

It hurts like a Mother.....

Words to take to the heart. This past weekend was such an awesome experience and on the way home I kept looking forward to July. I learned a lot this weekend, not just about putting, but about the good things that are happening. Some of the things I have been working on really shined for me and validated the work. Others, not so much, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am a better golfer this year and much more consistent.

Let's go boys!

JM

Ya dude, I am right there with ya. I can tell everyone right now that Thursday afternoon, Mojo and I are gonna be hanging out at the range, tipping back a cold one or two and having some fun. That's an open invitation for anyone BTW. If you aren't playing, come hang out with us.

Even if you play on the course, throw out the scorecard and don't even think about it. When I was playing poorly and getting into the "angry" golf that Wardy mentioned (my wife was close to probably never playing with me again). I was having an awful round playing with my dad for Father's day, and all I could think of after the first few holes was "There's no way I'm breaking 100 today", and things just got worse. I put the scorecard in the trash on hole 7 or so, and when we were going over the round at the end, I think I played close to bogey golf on a pretty tough course for the last 10 holes or so.

It's sometimes hard to think that way, as hard as the folks here at THP are working on their game, but at the end of the day we're doing this because it's fun. It took me way, way, way too long to come to that realization, but I can say that's one of the things that this site has really helped me with.

I seriously doubt anyone expects you to carry them to victory, they probably just want you to put in the work - which you obviously are. It is sports - we can control our effort but not the outcome.

Remember the video coverage from last year. All kinds of competitiveness but also guys showing incredible perspective...,people doing their best and genuinely appreciating other's efforts. Winning is only part of the equation. I know you know that, just offering a friendly reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddie speaks the truth. I think the Panda could start a second career as a motiviational speaker.

Trout:

My prep is going okay. Playing in Tennessee this last weekend on some tight tracks showed me a few things. Scoring was okay given my handicap but my misses when they happened were really bad....I seemed to either hit the FW or hit it OB. Now some of that is simply due to the layout of these tracks.

My irons are whats most disappointing now....simply not hitting enough GIR's within 160. Misses aren't terrible but not giving me decent putts for birdie.

Short game is good and putting is better than its ever been which is very exciting for me. Never putted as well as I am now with the X2, loads of confidence.

Hitting range this afternoon and focus is on just swinging with minimal swing thoughts and see where that puts me.

I will be ready next month though.....somehow someway my game seems to always peak in Pawley's Island.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't put in an extra couple hours yesterday at my course, just in case I get the big call. Even though I've been feverishly practicing with lessons since last November, I want to hit the ground running if my number is called and kick it up a notch. Whoever is called has Pete's big shoes to fill.

All of you guys have been putting in some major work to get yourselves prepared. I can't wait to get to Myrtle Beach and watch some great golf being played by some even greater guys.

I won't share the details, but I received an awesome text from Panda yesterday about my game and the Morgan Cup. Made my day. Even though I hope his team goes down like the Titanic, he is a great friend.

I will be in Myrtle Beach for a little family vacation during this week, I wish I could be there witness the entire weekend - hopefully next year I can participate

Good luck to all of you as you prepare for this amazing event!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't share the details, but I received an awesome text from Panda yesterday about my game and the Morgan Cup. Made my day. Even though I hope his team goes down like the Titanic, he is a great friend.

Team THP is going down, hard. But I still admire and respect the heck out of that bunch.

The lack of asterisks use here is a bit troubling.

I can't tell how to be but I can tell that win or lose, you're team doesn't expect you to carry the load or play above your head. I know that your team will live abs die as a team.

If you win it's as a team, if you lose it's as a team. Stop pushing yourself and start enjoying this grand event. Your have will be what it will be no matter what you do from this day forward. All you can do is show up and play.

Enough of the negative outlook, you have game. Maybe not Panda Game :D but you have game. And trust me one inflated ego is all we need, I got that in spades. You just need to realize that you in fact are a gamer, I know it and I'm waiting on you to catch up. I've watched this transformation in your swing that gives me a sense of accomplishment. I'd tee it with you as my partner any day of the week. And I promise you we would win more than we would loose.

YOU ARE A MORGAN CUPPER! Believe it, live it, love it!
Simply a great post!!

You guys are so silly, thanks for the laughs I needed it.

Looking forward to one huge and awesome multiquote the evening of July 27th

*Not trash talk, I really needed the laugh and I will really be stopping back in here to Multi-quote

My game is currently better than ever, sure a bad round every now and then, but I keep playing more often in the 70's and sometimes low 80's. Last year I usually played 80-90's and only every 5th round in the 70's.

A quick count...

2013: 21/100 rounds in the 70's.

2104: 19/40 rounds and counting in the 70's.

I still get the occasional shank, duff, top and other wonderful gifts of golf, but I shoot longer and better than before. Course management and minimizing risks are the areas I need to work on.

This event is all new to me for golf. Closest I have come event wise are local MGA championships. I started playing the game late in life at 41. Now 44 I am the best I have ever been, but that is not saying anything special over the last 3.5 years going from absolute beginner until now. I will say it is all still so exciting to me, the prep, the equipment obsession, the learning new things, having new lies, challenges, or opportunities to man up and make the shot.

As an old guy, its kind of nice to approach something like this with fresh eyes. No, I don't have this events level of pressure experience, but I also don't have any demons to battle yet :)

Oh did I mention, I love this crazy game!

Back