True Blue - Morgan Cup Course - Tips, Tricks, Hole Thoughts

14 will be a pivotal hole come July. You better know your numbers when you get there.

Hit an awesome shot from the scrub grass after I missed the green in 2012. Neat hole.

Tim, my friend, please review the coverage from round 1 on Saturday. There you can see a lovely breaking putt from slightly above the hole by yours truly :D

With mward's beautiful commentary in the background :)

I think that was the only putt made during the coverage....that's a tough green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So for all of you MC participants, which holes are you most looking forward to playing or playing again???

18 for me

18 for me
Such an amazing looking hole! I still remember watching Dan & Tim v Buck & Tim during last year's sat morning matches, what a finish and what a gorgeous hole to do it on!

I remember watching the approaches on from that round as well. I cant remember who it was that stuck in close but with the pin being on the left side of the green it was a brave shot to take

Lunch time bump for those that havent gotten a taste of this phenominal golf course

Although I haven't participated in the MC, I've played True Blue every year at least once (except for when they were closed to renovate the greens) since '95 I think.

Very forgiving off the tee but the length makes it a bear. My friends and I have renamed the course, "True Beatings.". My best score from the tips is 76 but there were many more significantly higher.

My favorite hole is #4. I've only played it as a three shot hole a few times as I just love to go for that one in two. Eagled it a few times, birdied a few more but the water has grabbed it's fair share too. Just love the gamble on that one.

Visually off the tee, I love the elevated perch on #10 and #15. I play #15 the best of any hole on the course. I very rarely play #2, #17 and #18 well... maddening.

If you know the lines, you can really shorten the course. 13 hours away from being on the grounds

If you know the lines, you can really shorten the course. 13 hours away from being on the grounds

It's fun to figure out how far right you can hit it off of #9 tee and not get into the trees to the right of that fairway. You can cut a ton of distance off that hole by doing that. Also figuring out the line over the bushes on #8 is fun.

It's fun to figure out how far right you can hit it off of #9 tee and not get into the trees to the right of that fairway. You can cut a ton of distance off that hole by doing that. Also figuring out the line over the bushes on #8 is fun.

I cut that corner in singles and had 5 iron into 9. Not sure I'll do the same this year. Love 8 but you have to be perfect off that tee if you go at the green

Or you can hit it OB like Jake and I did in singles last year. That was fun.

#8, just aim straight and the ball ends up near the green!

Or in a bush. Damnit. I need some good vibes from this course again.

See, when you hit a big cut like you, that can happen. The big cut is not in my bag.

I cut that corner in singles and had 5 iron into 9. Not sure I'll do the same this year. Love 8 but you have to be perfect off that tee if you go at the green

I had 4 hybrid into 9 during one of the rounds after hitting a good drive. No way I could get to the green on 8, I'm not Panda-long.

Another thing to figure out off the tee: how far right to aim on 17, which brings the water more into play but shortens your approach to the green.

See, when you hit a big cut like you, that can happen. The big cut is not in my bag.

I had 4 hybrid into 9 during one of the rounds after hitting a good drive. No way I could get to the green on 8, I'm not Panda-long.

Another thing to figure out off the tee: how far right to aim on 17, which brings the water more into play but shortens your approach to the green.

I hit 4w down the pipe, no water in play. Short iron into that green is nice

So this happened at a college tournament at True Blue today, new course record:

BxIXaiSIMAAjfWC.jpg:large

He only parred it. Pssh.

Saw this on twitter, the course can be had and he had it.

No eagle on 4? He must not be an #InternetGolfer. Bogey free is really impressive.

I'm sure they played the 7,000 yard course too. Impressive.

Going to bump this for our Legacy guys per a PM request, and put some more thoughts into each hole..

1 - The fairway is as big as you think. Swing away and make this about getting to 100 yards in two shots -- which will take some work. Long and left is much better than short right on approach, especially if you're not comfortable with the sand yet.

2 - there is a tree guarding the green approach on the right side of the fairway. The green is also shaped like an upside down L, and the closer you are to hitting straight at it, the more you take out the bunker that runs along the right side. Play smart, and if the pin is on the back tier aim for the largest part of the green and hope for a two putt.

3 - Club up and deal with a long putt if the pin is almost in the middle of the green, or risk drawing the ball into the water. Tons of green to work with, so there's not much worse than coming up short left here -- If the pin is in the front right, that portion of the green slopes downward from that bunker -- So again avoid being short!

4 - If you're a hero, cut the corner and go for it in two. If you're sane, aim for the large patch of trees that are past the right side of the fairway, play a safe layup shot to 100 yards, and don't miss right from that angle! When the greens are rolling well, it's nearly impossible to stop a ball coming back down that hill, so putting back up to any hole location is going to be your best bet.

5 - The stronger hitters can draw around the corner and have a wedge in their hands, but you run the risk of going straight through the fairway if you don't work the ball. It's a huge green, but being left off the tee definitely benefits the approach shot with the bunker running along the right side of the hole.

6 - Bunker and trees left, bunker and a lot more trees right -- This is a very tough hole if you make a mistake off the tee. Hit whichever club at the top of your bag is grooved and hope to find fairway. The left green slopes back towards the fairway so short is probably the play, and the right green has a nasty ridge to avoid.

7 - Front left looks like an easy pin position, if you're on the green. Miss short right and it's a heck of a bunker shot to get back into the hole. Long and right pin position is going to require you to club up with the elevation change, and you're going to want to be on the proper tier.

8 - This hole is all about placement. Find the club that easily carries the bunker on the rightside (from the tee box) and you can miss 50 yards on either side of your target line. This is a tough green only when you miss it, so avoid being long and aim for the middle.

9 - Optimistic golfers can bomb one off the tee and have a good look at the green in two, but it's ugly to get to from even the middle of the fairway. Every time I play this hole i see value in hitting three wood off the tee, playing my second shot out to the right over the hazard area, and having a wedge in my hands with a direct line to the hole (it's open front right with a MASSIVE bunker guarding the left). There is a huge ridge separating the tiers of the green, and if you're on the wrong one you will probably expect to three putt unless you're a master (especially on the top tier putting down to the bottom).

I'll have thoughts on the back nine soon. Just thought this, along with the original review, would help!

Last edited:
Back