How did you find your putter?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, my 35th birthday is in a week, and I have decided I am going to commemorate said event with a new putter. I have been bouncing between putters the past couple of years, from a Cleveland Classics 4.5, to a SeeMore FGP, to an SI2, and now am toying with the idea of an Odyssey in the 330M headshape.

My question to you is, how did you come to find your gamer putter? A lot of people have headshape preferences, but how did you get to that point that you knew that was the one for you? Did you go through a fitting? Through Trial and Error? Just a shot in the dark?

I won't be dropping a ridiculous amount of money on a putter, but at the same time I want to be sure that I come home with one I will keep more than a couple of years.

Dumb luck. A few years back in Myrtle Beach, the preferred golf store was Martin's. But heading back to the condo, I veered off of 501 to visit the much smaller Golf Dimensions.

In the used putter bin was a really beat up Rife Two-Bar Hybrid Tour Mallet. Being that The original Two-Bar was an utter disaster for me, I'm surprised that I even picked it up.

But the weight, balance, feel, appearance at address was all perfect for me. I was amazed and determined to buy... just not that one, it was too nasty looking. ;-)

Grabbed one on ebay, had a flat black shaft installed on it and have never looked back. It's my stealth bomber, lol. Has to be 4 years now and I haven't even touched another putter since.

Dumb luck. A few years back in Myrtle Beach, the preferred golf store was Martin's. But heading back to the condo, I veered off of 501 to visit the much smaller Golf Dimensions.

In the used putter bin was a really beat up Rife Two-Bar Hybrid Tour Mallet. Being that The original Two-Bar was a disaster for me, I'm surprised that I even picked it up.

But the weight, balance, feel, appearance at address was all perfect for me. I was amazed and determined to buy... just not that one, it was too nasty looking. ;-)

Grabbed one on ebay, had a flat black shaft installed on it and have never looked back. It's my stealth bomber, lol. Has to be 4 years now and I haven't even touched another putter since.
I know exactly where that place is...right down from the Condos at world tour we stay in

Roll them all. Learn your specs (get fit, length and lie) and roll them all.

My problem is, I love them all. A problem I love in and of itself.

I know exactly where that place is...right down from the Condos at world tour we stay in

That's it! I owned a condo at Legends for 13 years, just sold it this spring.

In 1999 I was lookinng for a center shafted, tube-like putter. I saw one at a Play It Again Sports, liked it but didn't buy it. When I went back a few days later to get it, someone already had snatched it up. By tube-like, I mean a cylinder, like a pipe.

Looked for a long time for something like it but to no avail. In June of 1999, Payne Stewart won the U.S. Open with a putter not many had ever seen before. A SeeMore Original Bronze FGP. I found one in a golf shop a couple months later and recognized it as the same putter, rolled it a few times and bought it on the spot. I used the same putter until April of 2010 when JB gave me a replacement, this one a Black FGP. I used it until July 2012 when I got my Morgan Cup putter, an Odyssey Metal-X #7, which I got fit for at Edwin Watts. It was actually down to it and the Two Ball, and I was about dead nuts the same with each of them. But I wanted a putter that I could pick the ball up with, which is why I went with the #7. It's been in my bag ever since.

First putter I ever picked up that kind of clicked with me was the #7 White Hot. It felt like an extension of my arm and it made me want to practice.

I was then fit years later with the SPi method and went with the model that is in the bag.

I found mine because I loved the looks of it when it was on the SuperStroke website but the $350 bucks for one was no good to me. They since took them off and don't make putters anymore so I googled around and found them on Ebay for $80. It was a cheap experiment if the putter didn't work but it did and I love the look and feel, it won't be going anywhere soon.

It found me in Columbus of last year. Putted lights out with GregDans Versa #9 and it's been great ever since.

My betti is from the 2013 morgan cup.
My odyssey td black I think Canadan talked me into buying 3 years ago

I was fit into mine. I loved how it felt and after a few months of rolling one, finally pulled the trigger. I like it a lot. Head shape wise, I haven't ben able to find anything similar.

Don't have a per se gamer putter but do have a gamer brand. Found SeeMore June of 2013 after rolling some at PGATour SS and reading THP review. Never looking back from that brand conversion from Betti.

Have never been fit. Was doing ok with my current gamer when I stopped at an Edwin Watts in Montgomery, AL, that was closing. I was mainly killing time and there were only about 20 putters left. I picked up the Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie and just started making putt after putt on their practice green. After 30 minutes and making a bunch of putts I walked it with it at the bargain price of $71 new. Putt pretty well with it for me and have made more putts in 6 months of 15' or longer than I think I made in the 3 years previous.

I finally got fit. Understood they type of stroke I have and what putter works best. Tried out a bunch and settled on the mid mallet head shape & currently the 330M tank cruiser is money. Can't see myself going away from it for a while. I will tinker bc it's in my DNA, but this one is the gamer

I think it's a rare to keep a putter for an extended period of time if ur in this forum. We all go thru our putting lows where we rather blame our putters than our strokes. It's a never ending tinkering drive with putter and grip combos...

I have a few that I go back and forth between but my current gamer and the one I have probably had the most success with is the putter I bought my wife. She doesn't play all that often and one as I was about to leave it caught my eye and I took it with, had a good day and have stuck with it since.

I was reading a bit about seemore putters on here and all the good words that were spoken, so I looked on the local auction site and found a si2w so thought id try it out, that was a couple of years ago I think and I still use it, I put a SS mid slim 2.0 on it and its great. Ive found another one now a X2 centre shaft that ive bid on, I really like the looks of it and if its as good as the si2 it should be money.

I played in league tourney and 49 putts in a round. i had just lost touch with my gamer and had no confidence standing over putts. So that night I was in a Classifieds Forum on another site. This guy was selling a brand new Method Core MC12W for $60. I googled it to see what the retail price was which was $140, so I bought it bc i figured worst case scenario, I resale and easily get my money back. Turned out to be the best investment to my golf game of the year. I haven't had a 3 put since I put it in the bag.

I find something at a good value that is appealing to the eye and I give it a shot. if it feels good and instills confidence, then I roll with it.

I was fitted for a heel shafted putter by Taylor Made when I was a staff member for them, I used the Rossa TP Maranello and have stuck to that head shape ever since. As far as finding the actual model I use now, I have every model Odyssey has made in that shape and the current gamer is the one I like the most.

It's closed now. I went by when I was in MB in July. I think the one across from the original Martin's is still open but I am not sure as I did not get that far north this past trip.

In answer to the OP, I was fitted at the SeeMore headquarters at the Invitational back in June.

Mine was actually given to me by a THP'r. I had very limited experience with a SeeMore and for the most part thought they were cheap and ugly, then I got a ONEcs in the mail and I haven't looked back. I have played mostly Scotties over the years and absolutely love them but the ONEcs is simply fantastic!

Found mine through trial and error. I have numerous putters but it took awhile to find one that I truly clicked with.

Won my current gamer through a THP contest!

Using Tapatalk

I was putting with it for weeks in my local shop. If stop in to chat and then go over to the putting area and putt with it. It was the first counter-balanced putter I ever tried. I really liked the weight and feel and decided to try it. A couple years later, it's still in my bag. After falling in love with the feel of counter-balanced, I can't go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back