JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a preference you look for? I don't mean as much round vs square, but a certain look that you gravitate towards?

I gravitate towards classic and uncluttered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to shape, the Big Bertha Alpha is crown jewel. 460 with a deep face so it doesn't look like a dinner plate at address. Absolute perfection

I like the more traditional shapes, and gravitate more towards black heads. Current exception is the SLDR S which, of course, is silver and it doesn't bother me at all.

Small head with a DEEP face. Oh and Black.

One that makes the ball go as straight and long as possible? I think I'm actually be serious here. I will say that I gravitate towards the heads of the Optiforce/Z745/Big Bertha Alpha's of the world.

After playing the R7 for a long time, I would have said that I prefer deeper face drivers. And I think that's still true - that's immediately the look I prefer and it makes sense because my most common miss is low on the center of the face. But for whatever reason, neither the driver I've played for the last few years (RazrHawk) or the brand new one I'm trying out (Big Bertha) is particularly deep faced.

I am really not to picky. I go for performance over looks for the most part.

I like a deep face with a classic round shape.

No preference. Don't care if it's a purple triangle wit yellow dots, as long as I can get the ball to where I want it to go.

After playing the R7 for a long time, I would have said that I prefer deeper face drivers. And I think that's still true - that's immediately the look I prefer and it makes sense because my most common miss is low on the center of the face. But for whatever reason, neither the driver I've played for the last few years (RazrHawk) or the brand new one I'm trying out (Big Bertha) is particularly deep faced.

Its funny you mention the R7. I was speaking with the creator of that club and he talked about its triangle like looks of some of the R7 models and how he liked it quite a bit.

I like a deep face and a 460 head. The Big Bertha Alpha is the bees knees when it comes to the look I love. I also prefer a dark crown and lighter face to contrast it for alignment, but I can deal with a darker face.

Only ones that bothered me are the somewhat triangle ones, like the Burner 2.0. Just looked dumb. Aside from that, as long as it's not white, game on!

I don't like anything that looks closed. Other than that, I'm not picky.

I just like it to be close to classically pear shaped, and a dark color. Matte or gloss doesn't make a difference to me, I like both. Just don't give me some square Sumo bulls*** hahaha

Its funny you mention the R7. I was speaking with the creator of that club and he talked about its triangle like looks of some of the R7 models and how he liked it quite a bit.

That's probably still my favorite driver ever. The RazrHawk ended up being a little longer and I like it too, but man the R7 was a great club for me.

Definitely a classic shape with deep face. Black is preferable, but not a have too. The biggest thing is that I cannot do is set it down have the face look extremely closed. That would be an automatic put back on the shelf.

Traditional shape and a dark crown. Glossy black or very dark grey works for me.

Deep faced and a compact head. Black, glossy finish. That's my preference.

Side note -- other colors are okay. Cobra blue is phenomenal. I also liked the white driver phase that seems to be fading away.

Whatever you want to call the shape of the I-25, that thing is perfect and I usually don't like any alignment aid but the racing stripes work for me. RFE is also a really nice 440 head

Last edited:
I do like the Pear shaped drivers (titleist) but some of the newer ones without that shape have been catching my eyes a bit

Compact, black and a classic shape. It's funny though, I hit the R11s better than most drivers and that was NOT compact nor black! Today's tech wrapped in something that looks like an old 983 would be awesome!

I want:
- As much face surface area as possible
- But not at the expense of being overly shallow (FT-IZ) or overly deep (Cleveland Classic)
- Something that keeps the front top line clean (love the rounded leading edge on the Cobra Amps)
- An alignment or sweet spot finder (Cobra Amp Offset or Ping I25 is best)
- A driver that looks a bit bigger top down (Ping K15/G25/G30). It doesn't change how it hits, but it gives me more confidence standing over the ball.
- I like pentagon shapes the most.

I am a fan of the smaller deep face drivers like the 815 DBD, Optiforce (for size) and J40. That shape just appeals to me.

Back