TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

I haven't seen any finger prints on mine. The only dirty spots I have noticed are right on the edges of the head where the cover rubs against it. Not noticeable at all when at address. Only noticed when I looked at eye level.

I haven't seen any finger prints on mine. The only dirty spots I have noticed are right on the edges of the head where the cover rubs against it. Not noticeable at all when at address. Only noticed when I looked at eye level.

hey maybe its not fingerprints then, maybe its black smudges from the headcover. I did put fingerprints on it on purpose like i mentioned before and its very easy to get off, i could see stuff from the headcover rubbing off on to it when i first got it, looked like black little fibers but it has stopped almost completely since breaking the headcover in.

I think the pull to the left is indicative of a shaft not fitting and flexing to make squared impact.
That's a good catch. I missed the stiff shaft part. I had a similar reaction to a shaft that was too stiff for me.

not sure if anyone saw this in the Golf Digest this month:pg78
in relation to the new designs in golf - mainly alignment and color: Mentioning Retinal Ganglion Cell Functionand gestalt psychology (if anyone has any idea what these are please enlighten us)

" Taylormade is focusing on how the mind perceives edges. The combination of the white crown and black face on its R11 and SuperFast 2.0 metalwoods and its Ghost Putters is designed to increase awareness of edges by exciting or inhibiting certain neurons within the nerve cells of your retinas. ...Research also suggests that the matte-white finish helps reduce glare, and glare, or hot spots, can distract the brain at address."

And here i just thought the white looked cool. Now its actually teaching my brain things.

in relation to the new designs in golf - mainly alignment and color: Mentioning Retinal Ganglion Cell Functionand gestalt psychology (if anyone has any idea what these are please enlighten us)

" Taylormade is focusing on how the mind perceives edges. The combination of the white crown and black face on its R11 and SuperFast 2.0 metalwoods and its Ghost Putters is designed to increase awareness of edges by exciting or inhibiting certain neurons within the nerve cells of your retinas. ...Research also suggests that the matte-white finish helps reduce glare, and glare, or hot spots, can distract the brain at address."

And here i just thought the white looked cool. Now its actually teaching my brain things.

lol i knew they did alot of research into color and i read a really good article over it but i have no idea where i read it at, im trying to remember, if i find it ill post a link. Some of the results were surprising

Well I got to hit the R11 fairway wood today, along with several others, and it felt really good! I am in the search for a three or four wood and this one has made it to the top 5. It felt really good on the transitition and when striking the ball it was was silky smooth.

couple weeks now...the R11 will be mine.

Just hit my R11 again and it was like a different club than the first time I hit it. Wasn't impressed that much with it the first time around and didn't really like the sound, feel, distance I was seeing.

Had everything on neutral settings for the first 5 balls today and it was way to high. So put it over to lower (1* open) and set the ASP to Closed. Hit a few and it was a lot better. I hit one dead center on the club face and it made a nice sound, felt really good and was smoked. Probably a good 5-7 yards more carry than my R9 but it just rolled forever. I hit one severally off the toe, and while it wasn't good, it wasn't that bad either. Yes I lost some distance as expected but still playable and had a good roll out. I thought the flight was a tad low and going to adjust it to one up from the Low setting and see what that does. I'm not sure it will be enough to get the R9 out of the bag, but it's not anything near what I saw the first time, I actually quite like it now.

Only hit about 15-20 balls, probably going to hit another 15-20 and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just hit my R11 again and it was like a different club than the first time I hit it. Wasn't impressed that much with it the first time around and didn't really like the sound, feel, distance I was seeing.

Had everything on neutral settings for the first 5 balls today and it was way to high. So put it over to lower (1* open) and set the ASP to Closed. Hit a few and it was a lot better. I hit one dead center on the club face and it made a nice sound, felt really good and was smoked. Probably a good 5-7 yards more carry than my R9 but it just rolled forever. I hit one severally off the toe, and while it wasn't good, it wasn't that bad either. Yes I lost some distance as expected but still playable and had a good roll out. I thought the flight was a tad low and going to adjust it to one up from the Low setting and see what that does. I'm not sure it will be enough to get the R9 out of the bag, but it's not anything near what I saw the first time, I actually quite like it now.

Only hit about 15-20 balls, probably going to hit another 15-20 and go from there.

What's your normal ball flight? Draw?

That's awesome to hear. Glad to hear you like it better. Will be interested to hear how you feel after you've adjusted again.

T-Rex- Ya, draw most of the time or just straight. Do have an occasional slice or push to the right though.

That's awesome to hear. Glad to hear you like it better. Will be interested to hear how you feel after you've adjusted again.

Found the perfect setting for me so far. Switched it over to just one up from open (the setting between Standard and Lower) with closed and the 10g weight in the heel. Ball flight was perfect and just went straight, no draw or fade just straight. After that setting it's a good 10 yards longer, carry wise to my R9 460. Only problem is that I'm hitting the ball high on the club face. I even teed it down a little more than usual and moved it back in my stance just a little, but consistently hit it on the top part of the face. It's not a bad thing but Id like it a little lower just so I could get everything out of it.

I'm not sure if it will bump the R9 out because I'm pretty consistent with it, but it's making a case for it's self so far.

T-Rex- Ya, draw most of the time or just straight. Do have an occasional slice or push to the right though.

Found the perfect setting for me so far. Switched it over to just one up from open (the setting between Standard and Lower) with closed and the 10g weight in the heel. Ball flight was perfect and just went straight, no draw or fade just straight. After that setting it's a good 10 yards longer, carry wise to my R9 460. Only problem is that I'm hitting the ball high on the club face. I even teed it down a little more than usual and moved it back in my stance just a little, but consistently hit it on the top part of the face. It's not a bad thing but Id like it a little lower just so I could get everything out of it.

I'm not sure if it will bump the R9 out because I'm pretty consistent with it, but it's making a case for it's self so far.

nice, glad it worked out better for you this time around, i have heard the sweet spot is actually a little above center and a little towards the toe, so hitting it a little high on the face isnt always a bad thing.

Hey DirtyDawg. What shaft do you have in the R11 right now? I am going to get fitted tomorrow, but just curious on what weight and flex you have. I have tried the 60g Stiff, but it feels a bit weak to me. I may be doing what you are and ordering a Miyasaki shaft to put on this. Do you know are they selling the Dromos shaft to the public yet?

Gestalt Pyschology: Is essentially the view that our brain can look at something as a whole and determine the parts and shape at such speed that this reordering is done on a sub concious level (the theory of totality). Essentially the theory behind this and the white club is that since your brain percieves the global environment, IE the club, ball, tee, shoes etc all at the same time, having the club be a different colour makes in stand out more when looking at the total image. Because it stands out more, it should be easier to hit (assuming you subscribe to that theory). What I don't understand is why TM isn't huge on the coloured balls bandwagon. If that's there theory then it follows that having a ball that jumps out as well will make the alignment and hitting easier.

(This is opposed to structuralism where the belief if that our brains see's parts and then builds them into a large object. IE you see each brick and then the bricks become a castle)

Retinal Ganglion Cell Function: Essentially is a neuron cell located in the eye. It picks up images and non images and then feeds that information to the rest of your brain. The thought behind it is that the more contrast between an image and non image the easier it is to see the image, and once again make it easier to hit the ball since the club would stand out more as an image against the grass (grass would be considered a non image in this scenario since it's location is constant).

Hi all!! First time poster here. I thought I would share my experience with the new R11 9 degree stiff set at 8 degrees all other settings neutral.( I need a x-flex shaft but our stores don't stock them). First time I tried this driver I was at our local Golf Town. Anyways I hit around 15 to 20 balls with the R11 and the distance wasn't great compared to my R9 stiff 9.5 degree and the spin rate seemed thru the roof. I was getting a 9 degree launch with a 4500ish spin rate @ 166 ball speed and a average carry of 284 yards. I have never been 100% confident in the #'s I have seen on the golf town sim's. So the next day i decided i would try another store that has "Flightscope". So when I got to the store I was able to get the launch monitor all to myself for an hour with a Taylormade rep and really see what this club was all about. All I can say is wow!!!!! After he had the club all dialed in to my swing these were my #'s. Swing speed up to an average of 128 to a high of 140mph when I really stomped on it. Ball speed average of 169 with a high of 174. Launch angle between 11 and 12.5 degrees with a spin rate of 3100 rpm. My average carry was 294yrds with a 309 to 316yrd roll and actually got about a dozen drives out past 327 with my longest 334. I have ordered one with a x-flex shaft which will be more suitable for my swing speed and will bring my spin rate down a bit as well. All in all I have to say this is the best driver I have ever hit. It may not be for everyone as we all have different swings and stats but I would definitely recommend getting some good time in with it on a launch monitor to get it dialed in . If possible get to a demo day and have a Taylormade rep set you up I bet you won't be disappointed.

Hi all!! First time poster here. I thought I would share my experience with the new R11 9 degree stiff set at 8 degrees all other settings neutral.( I need a x-flex shaft but our stores don't stock them). First time I tried this driver I was at our local Golf Town. Anyways I hit around 15 to 20 balls with the R11 and the distance wasn't great compared to my R9 stiff 9.5 degree and the spin rate seemed thru the roof. I was getting a 9 degree launch with a 4500ish spin rate @ 166 ball speed and a average carry of 284 yards. I have never been 100% confident in the #'s I have seen on the golf town sim's. So the next day i decided i would try another store that has "Flightscope". So when I got to the store I was able to get the launch monitor all to myself for an hour with a Taylormade rep and really see what this club was all about. All I can say is wow!!!!! After he had the club all dialed in to my swing these were my #'s. Swing speed up to an average of 128 to a high of 140mph when I really stomped on it. Ball speed average of 169 with a high of 174. Launch angle between 11 and 12.5 degrees with a spin rate of 3100 rpm. My average carry was 294yrds with a 309 to 316yrd roll and actually got about a dozen drives out past 327 with my longest 334. I have ordered one with a x-flex shaft which will be more suitable for my swing speed and will bring my spin rate down a bit as well. All in all I have to say this is the best driver I have ever hit. It may not be for everyone as we all have different swings and stats but I would definitely recommend getting some good time in with it on a launch monitor to get it dialed in . If possible get to a demo day and have a Taylormade rep set you up I bet you won't be disappointed.

I might be missing something, but think something might be wrong for you here. You had a swing speed average of 128 and the ball speed average was only 169?

Thank you!!! I have always been blessed with clubhead speed. But until the R11 I have never gotten a drive out passed 322. I love this driver cause now I can swing smooth and in tempo and get 300 all day. It is a winner in my books.

I might be missing something, but think something might be wrong for you here. You had a swing speed average of 128 and the ball speed average was only 169?

Well if the golftown simulators he's hitting on are anything like the ones here, none of the numbers matter. Even the manager at the here just says look at comparisons between clubs on the monitors, not the numbers themselves.

Yes 169 to 174 as per the flight scope. You think it should be higher?

Those should be much higher but like I said unless your golftown has much better launch monitors than the ones I have been too I would take the numbers with a grain of salt.

Yes, in my opinion it should be higher. Do you have a screen shot by chance?

Was just thinking the same thing.

Hey DirtyDawg. What shaft do you have in the R11 right now? I am going to get fitted tomorrow, but just curious on what weight and flex you have. I have tried the 60g Stiff, but it feels a bit weak to me. I may be doing what you are and ordering a Miyasaki shaft to put on this. Do you know are they selling the Dromos shaft to the public yet?

It comes out in Spring.

Those should be much higher but like I said unless your golftown has much better launch monitors than the ones I have been too I would take the numbers with a grain of salt.
I agree the Golf Town monitors never seem that accurate to me. However the ball speeds and Swing speeds were calculated on Flightscope at a different retailer. All in all I am not really worried cause if I can get a average distance of 300 yrds I will be really happy as that is around a 10 yrd increase from my old tired R9. I am going to go and demo My r11 when it arrives on the Trackman system when it arrives just to see exactly what the numbers are. I ordered it with the Blur x-flex shaft so once I get some good reliable #'s and so real time on the range with it I will decide if i will go with a after market high end shaft fitted to me.

Back