Setting a goal, or maybe a challenge for myself

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
I was sitting around with a friend last night, having a few scotches and talking. The conversation came around to me turning 53 in a couple of weeks and then that movie The Bucket List.

I've mentioned before, that I came to playing golf late in life, having just started last summer, I'm shooting in the high 90's-low 100's consistently now, and have decided that instead of going the "Bucket List" route of dreaming about what I want to do, I am going to actively start pursuing a goal of becoming a Scratch Golfer by the time I turn 55 in 2 years.

Should be an interesting journey and provide at least mild amuzment for everyone to watch me pulling my last three hairs out in pursuit of this goal

Go for the gusto Ron, I look forward to tracking your progress. :thumb:

Good luck! :)

Congratulations on your decision. I can most definitely appreciate your desire to attain such a tremendous goal in such a short period of time. I hope that you will provide us with a lot of memorable moments that I am sure you will experience in this quest.

Good Luck !

Great goal Ron. I turn 53 in a couple months and I would love to be a single digit handicap by the time I turn 55. I like that you are thinking really big by saying scratch! There are some really strong women golfers in our area who give me the motivation. One is a few years older than me and has a 1.5 handicap. It's a long process for sure.

Tell us your plan of attack! How will you accomplish this mission?

Good luck buddy! I would recommend getting to a place where you can golf year round!

Great Stuff Ron, look forward to hearing your progress and the steps you take as this goes along.

Ron, it's great to have goals (and hopefully enough spare time to practice and play), best of luck to you!

Great goal Ron. I turn 53 in a couple months and I would love to be a single digit handicap by the time I turn 55. I like that you are thinking really big by saying scratch! There are some really strong women golfers in our area who give me the motivation. One is a few years older than me and has a 1.5 handicap. It's a long process for sure.

Tell us your plan of attack! How will you accomplish this mission?

First thing I'm going to do Kelly is get myself signed up for some lessons. I don't really like the Pro at the course I play at though, so I'm checking with some friends about the Pro's at their home courses.
Secondly, I just got my monthly range pass so I can hit balls every day after work.

this sounds like a lot of fun! I got my dad hooked on golf last year and I'm hoping he has the same amount of drive as it sounds like you do. Good luck!

Good luck buddy! I would recommend getting to a place where you can golf year round!

Well, both my wife and I are tied here for the time being due to our jobs. However, I think people get the wrong idea about Colorado, with the exception of a few days here or there, if you don't mind playing when it's in the upper 40's to 50's you can play all year here

First thing I'm going to do Kelly is get myself signed up for some lessons. I don't really like the Pro at the course I play at though, so I'm checking with some friends about the Pro's at their home courses.
Secondly, I just got my monthly range pass so I can hit balls every day after work.

Sounds like a great plan to me!!! Practice what your pro teaches you to practice and you will move along quickly! It will be fun to follow your progress. I'm rooting for you!

There you Ron! It will be cool watching your game evolve with some of the hills and valleys along the way. Stay with it, work hard, & your dream will become a reality.

Good luck! It's a tall order but if you push yourself, who knows? We'll all love to see your progress.

Sounds like an excellent goal! I look forward to following your progress in this undertaking.

Good luck in your quest to be better. It is never easy as you get older but weirder things happen everyday. Without goals and dreams, life sucks. Hope you get there.

Good luck! It's a tall order but if you push yourself, who knows? We'll all love to see your progress.

Way I figure it, I'm not getting any younger, If I still want to have time to become homeless, live in a pipe and try and qualify for the seniors tour I have to get down to scratch in 2 years to stay on schedule.

Good luck Ron! That is a sweet goal. Perhaps make this thread your journal and document each step along the way with lessons, scores, improvements, everything. I'd love to hear about it.

Good luck on your Quest!! That is an amazing goal! I too have one of my own since I've only been playing a short time also. But I do play quite a bit. I play 18 roughly 3 times a week and I play 9 about 3 times a week. Somedays, I play 36. I work about 5 mins from my home course. Since I'm a member, I play about everyday after work. Weds are my day off so I play 18 in the am and then league at night which is 9. So I play a lot, I better be improving! LOL I'm not gonna mention my goal, cuz this is your thread, but I do hope you acheive your goal. I'm definitely working hard on acheiving mine, well I will if the snow ever melts and stays away.

Okay, so after much searching I found an insturctor and I'm off to my first lesson today. We'll see how things go

Okay, so after much searching I found an insturctor and I'm off to my first lesson today. We'll see how things go

Good luck out there Ron. After many years of playing, quit for about 10 and now back at it, I'd love to get my game back on line. I travel so much that practice before a round can be difficult at times.

Is his name Burk? I hear he gives lessons!

Way I figure it, I'm not getting any younger, If I still want to have time to become homeless, live in a pipe and try and qualify for the seniors tour I have to get down to scratch in 2 years to stay on schedule.

LOL.

Good luck on your goal. I'll look forward to hearing changes you make to achieve it, particularly any changes you make in course management.

Good luck Ron. Great to hear you've got this motivation to improve. Stick at it - you'll have the added benefit of life experience to know that good things don't come easy, and there will be rough patches. Looking forward to tracking your progress. :D

Back