2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

Thanks for the thoughts and pictures guys. I'll definitely be grabbing a box to try out.

I've always lumped them together as well, but the difference I saw between the two yesterday was the spin around the green. If I could best sum it up, I would say they took the long and straight of the e6 and paired it with the green side action and spin of the e5.

Similar ball flight, piercing and long.

Well so much for me writing a review. War Eagle just took care of it.

Looks like they haven't officially launched it over at Srixon.com, but the splash page is pretty cool

VRZd.jpeg

I know the 2012 Q stars were a huge hit for being a 2 piece ball. A lot of golfers recommended this ball to me and I'm certain that the 2013 ones will be even better. Awesome stuff Cleveland/Srixon

I've always lumped them together as well, but the difference I saw between the two yesterday was the spin around the green. If I could best sum it up, I would say they took the long and straight of the e6 and paired it with the green side action and spin of the e5.

On that note....these will definitely be seeing game time by me.

Always played Titleist, most recently NXT tour. It is strange but I just feel more confident standing over a titleist ball, however I shall be buying a box of these if/when we get them in the UK.
Sounds like my sort of ball.

This was a post of mine from the 2013 e6 Testing Thread:

I wonder why Bridgestone doesn't put a Urethane cover on the e6.

Makes me have a difficult decision between trying the e5 and e6. I know the RX is the best fit for me, but I don't want to pay premium ball prices.

Sounds like the Q-Star could be right in my wheelhouse.

This was a post of mine from the 2013 e6 Testing Thread:

I wonder why Bridgestone doesn't put a Urethane cover on the e6.

Makes me have a difficult decision between trying the e5 and e6. I know the RX is the best fit for me, but I don't want to pay premium ball prices.

Sounds like the Q-Star could be right in my wheelhouse.

If you have never played the Q-star, do yourself a favor and get some. I may have a sleeve of 2012 version laying around I can send you if you want. Send me a PM with your address and I will check and see if I have any left.

I'm eager to see the improvement on the Q's this year as I quite enjoyed the 2012 version.

The yellow looks fantastic, I'm a sucker for yellow though.

I'm eager to see the improvement on the Q's this year as I quite enjoyed the 2012 version.

The yellow looks fantastic, I'm a sucker for yellow though.

Loved the yellow. So much brighter and easier to see than other yellow balls.

Loved the yellow. So much brighter and easier to see than other yellow balls.

Agreed on that. It's amazing how much better the Srixon Your yellow is compared to the Birdgestone and Titleiest attempts at yellow balls.

Receiving these balls I had some immediate concerns about my typical golf game:

Would the yellow suit me to my standard white?
Could the Q Star hold up to my swing despite me being on/above the suggested swing rate?

But i also had some positive thoughts:

Could the compression help my game in the colder months in Ohio?
Does the difference in cover make a difference while in mid air?

Luckily for me I was able to take these ON course for my first round of 2013 yesterday. Questions became answers on the first hole! I know a lot of people find the yellow easier to see while in flight, and I am just not one that picks it up as quickly. First drive of the day and I lost the ball in flight up until it (thankfully) hit the fairway. I will make note, however, that of all the shots I hit with the Q Star, that was the only one I lost in flight.

On my approach, I had a 50* wedge in my hands and played a mid flight 90* swing with the intentions of landing it soft. Even with the somewhat harder greens, it one hopped about three feet forward and came to a stop in a hurry. Great stuff!

Compression wise I didn't feel like there were any issues. The ball seemed to hold up very well in the 45-50* temps and took everything I could give to it.

The short game is where I thought it shined.. Two greenside sand shots on the day showed lots of control on being able to land the ball soft with limited roll out. That same concept goes for most of my other short game shots, where I was able to land the ball in a given area and let it roll towards the hole without any skidding.

Putting was definitely an improvement with the Q Star as compared to other balls in the colder temps. I got great feedback from contact and saw plenty of true-to-line roll.

Lots more to consider soon about the Q Star (hopefully more on the course) but I came away pleasantly surprised. Sadly I lost the ball I was using after 8 holes so I don't have a good visual of the wear, but i did not notice any real markings after that much play.

Here are some photos to try and show the unique cover and writing of the new Q Star.

20130211_091714.jpg

20130211_091633.jpg

20130211_091611.jpg

20130211_091714-1.jpg

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but I find the all English / French text back of the box as an interesting approach for Srixon. I know when I go to look to try a new golf ball in the store, I grab a few different boxes and compare/contrast features on the back. I think without having some graphics to show how the balls compare in distance, spin, control, etc, it makes it tough to compare to a curious buyer. I wonder how many consumers would just set these aside saying, I cant even tell what this ball would bring to my game...

Nice thoughts Canadan! Will be interesting to hear how this compares to the Z-Star for you.

Not sure if this is the best place for it, but I find the all English / French text back of the box as an interesting approach for Srixon. I know when I go to look to try a new golf ball in the store, I grab a few different boxes and compare/contrast features on the back. I think without having some graphics to show how the balls compare in distance, spin, control, etc, it makes it tough to compare to a curious buyer. I wonder how many consumers would just set these aside saying, I cant even tell what this ball would bring to my game...

Understandable dude. I actually got more from the back of the sleeve and it was one of the reasons I posted that image.

To me the QStar is the answer to my question of how good could an e6 be with a better cover. I think long game the e6 and QStar are neck and neck but the QStar always held the greens better even on chips. Now with the addition of the spin skin it can make it only that much better around the greens. Ready to pick a box of these up Saturday and giving them a whirl.

Very good stuff so far dudes. I wasn't a big fan of the 2012 version, but I would like to try the 2013 version!

Hopefully I can get on a course this week for some on course testing. If I do, I will be comparing to the my winter ball, Bridgestone E6. I will openly admit, I love the E6 everywhere except the green. I dont hate them around the green, but the performance they show everywhere else is why I keep playing them. I would love if the Qstar is that blend.

CanaDan - How did the distance far for those 8 holes you played it, taking into account the temps and wind?

Understandable dude. I actually got more from the back of the sleeve and it was one of the reasons I posted that image.

Technically, your image was the side of the sleeve. :angel:

I did notice something interesting on the back of the sleeve. I didnt know the USGA / R&A consider different colored balls as separate golf balls. Meaning, once you start your round with one color, you must continue using it to conform to the one ball regulation. This means you cant start white, switch to yellow, even if they are both same model QStar, ZStar, etc.

Hopefully I can get on a course this week for some on course testing. If I do, I will be comparing to the my winter ball, Bridgestone E6. I will openly admit, I love the E6 everywhere except the green. I dont hate them around the green, but the performance they show everywhere else is why I keep playing them. I would love if the Qstar is that blend.

CanaDan - How did the distance far for those 8 holes you played it, taking into account the temps and wind?

I didn't seem to have any unusual distance loss from standard, especially for the cooler weather. The wedges I hit into greens went basically as far as I expected them to, and in fact had an 8 iron on the final hole go as far if not further than I usually expect it to.

I have a feeling if you enjoyed the e6 on course, this Q Star will fit you like a glove.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Let me tell you this - I honestly believe it to be EXACTLY what you are looking for. e6 in all aspects - maybe even a touch longer - with much better control/check/spin on those chips within 50 yards.

From the pictures it looks like the Yellow is more "vibrant" this year almost like a neon. Can anyone comment to the difference in color from the 2012 model. Or is it exactly the same?

Tapping away on my S3

With all this great input, may have to buy my first Srixon. They sound pretty awesome.

LtEvO TaPpEd

From the pictures it looks like the Yellow is more "vibrant" this year almost like a neon. Can anyone comment to the difference in color from the 2012 model. Or is it exactly the same?

Tapping away on my S3

The term I've been using is "highlighter" in my head..

Unfortunately while I do have 2012 Q Stars, they are white, not yellow so I can't draw the comparison.

The term I've been using is "highlighter" in my head..

Unfortunately while I do have 2012 Q Stars, they are white, not yellow so I can't draw the comparison.

Funny, beacause I was going to say "highlighter" myself but chose "neon" when I asked the question

Tapping away on my S3

Tapping away on my S3

I am partially colorblind so not the best person to comment on color but I can tell you (and mentioned earlier) that they have a glittery finish to them like the 2012 Z-Stars did if you ever saw those.

Back