2013 Srixon Q-Star - Review Thread

Man this has me pumped! What I'm reading is that they took my favorite ball and made it better in every way with more distance from the tee and more spin around the green. I can't wait to try these out.
I actually stockpiled a few dozen 2012 Q-Stars just in case they ruined the ball with whatever changes they made (you just never know) but it sounds like that was unnecessary.
Keep the thoughts coming guys!

I got them, however, I have not been able to get to the course with them. Overall, I like the look of the ball. It's going to take time to get used to the Yellow, but I'll get over it.

From the pictures it looks like the Yellow is more "vibrant" this year almost like a neon. Can anyone comment to the difference in color from the 2012 model. Or is it exactly the same?

Tapping away on my S3

I am partially colorblind so not the best person to comment on color but I can tell you (and mentioned earlier) that they have a glittery finish to them like the 2012 Z-Stars did if you ever saw those.

I noticed this as well. In honesty, I didn't like the old yellow on the Q-Stars when compared to the Z-Stars. If it's more along those lines for 2013 I will be very happy.

2/10/13 - Srixon Q Star Testing - Initial Thoughts

Getting these in the mail last week was exciting for a few reasons... One being that my MC Sponsor wanted to get a new product that they are quite excited about in to the hands of their 8 staffers for some early feedback, and the second being that everything I had heard about the new "spin skin" had me quite intrigued and I could not wait to get this out on the course.

I did not start my round with the Q Star, but after a few holes decided to put it in play and get some thoughts on what the new offering from Srixon would give me. I think a recap of that hole is a must;

• The first hole I played was a shorter Par 5, coming in at 492 yards. After a great tee shot, I was left with right at 220 yards in. Sitting here in the fairway, I pulled my F5 and decided to let it rip and go for the green in 2. I didn't get the cut that I wanted, but the shot was absolutely nuked. I flew the green, and landed just long and to the left. I had about 30 yard chip shot to the pin, I played this shot up in the air, landed soft and bit hard, leaving me a few feet for my only birdie of the day.
First impressions from that hole; I think we have a keeper. It was long off the tee, it was long with a fairway wood off the deck, both shots promoting a nice mid-high ball flight that I really liked. Then, with a wedge in hand, the results were again promising.

I played the Q Star for about 5 or 6 holes, before switching out to another ball I have been gaming the past few weeks to see how it compares, the Bridgestone e6. Performance off the tee with both of these is exceptional, I see some great distance, and a predictable ball flight that I am quite fond of. The separation here between the two is on full shots with irons and wedges and the green-side performance The Q Star has "the bite" that the e6 sometimes lacks. While the spin is adequate with the e6, with the ball usually being a foot or two from it's pitch-mark the Q-Star just has that ability to stop seemingly dead in it's tracks. I said it earlier, but will say it again, it seems the Q Star took what I like about both the e5 and the e6, and married them together quite nicely.

Also, the Yellow of the 2013 model is a bit more vibrant, where as I often found the Q Star last year to be more on the dull side. As a fan of all balls that are yellow, I was liking what I was seeing on the visual side of things.

I have one of the 2012 tour yellow Q Stars sitting around my apt that I found during one of my rounds. Never hit it (or any Srixon for that matter). As soon as I can get out there I will, and maybe I'll try out the 2013s as well

You got me all excited, then I saw Q instead of Z. Still interested to read, and I should be open minded to try the Qs, especially since I'm considering getting some XVs this year, but I have what 1 could call an unhealthy love for my Zs (ss 103ish, though numbers with my new Covert said 108ish). Might have to try a sleeve of both and compare to my old Zs (which I still have 2 dozen of) before making a choice. Will definitely keep an eye on here for your thoughts. What really has me pumped is that it might be out soon (now?). The Srixon Facebook person told me 'late summer' not a week ago, so hoping they were clueless and you guys are right! P.S. I've trouble picking up the ball off the driver, and since I switched to the Zs I've never NOT seen a ball go.

Here are a few side by sides of the previous Srixon QStar (left) and the 2013 QStar (right)

DSC00076_zps1f749f2d.jpg

DSC00078_zpsa3edb493.jpg

DSC00077_zpsfdbed109.jpg

Thank you for posting that. It makes me very happy to see that. Tour Yellow is the best yellow out there (IMO) and it's not even close. The old Q-Star didn't give me the same warm fuzzies.

Awesome stuff, I've played them before and really liked what I saw, and the price point is really nice!

Awesome stuff War.

In terms of reducing side spin, how would you compare it to the e6? IMO, that is the biggest selling point of the e6.

Wow! Love the new yellow. I agree in that the 2012 looked dull to me when gaming it.

Tapping away on my S3

I've always lumped them together as well, but the difference I saw between the two yesterday was the spin around the green. If I could best sum it up, I would say they took the long and straight of the e6 and paired it with the green side action and spin of the e5.

Similar ball flight, piercing and long.

Hmmm, I think you just made up my mind for me regarding this ball.

Awesome stuff War.

In terms of reducing side spin, how would you compare it to the e6? IMO, that is the biggest selling point of the e6.
I didnt have any issues with side spin, or notice anything that would have lead me to believe there was more side spin.

Also, I believe "side spin" on the ball is imparted with the swing more than any other factor, with that said, I did not see an exaggeration of any spin going left or right.

If you're right that they've paired the best bits of the e6 and e5 and are selling at $25 a box I think they're onto a winner big time!

Need to go and get some to try!!:desire:

Im looking forward to trying these out. Cookie was raving about them yesterday and I had a dozen in my bag but wasnt playing well enough to make it matter!

Happy but Sad at the same time. Happy they made them more vibrant and added the spin skin with more dimples but sad I bought 4 dz. of these when GG had them 2-$40 with a $10 off coupon on top of it.
Guess I will have to suck it up and grab some 2013's also. Love these balls!!!

If you're right that they've paired the best bits of the e6 and e5 and are selling at $25 a box I think they're onto a winner big time!

Need to go and get some to try!!:desire:

this really has me intrigued. Is there something special on the packaging to make sure I am getting the 2013 model?

this really has me intrigued. Is there something special on the packaging to make sure I am getting the 2013 model?

Spin Skin (new cover) description on the back. That should be the easiest identifier

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Spin Skin (new cover) description on the back. That should be the easiest identifier

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
Thanks! I am heading over to Dicks this week and will look to pick some up.

Some great initial thoughts here; I liked last year's model and thought it was one of the best choices out there in this price point. I'll be trying these out this spring for sure.

Great thoughts on this ball, I love the fact that Cleveland Srixon use the Morgan Cup staff to test as well. I may have to pick up a box for this weekend.

Says new on the top right corner and stripe up/down front of package is left of center (as opposed to center in 2012 model).

Im looking forward to trying these out. Cookie was raving about them yesterday and I had a dozen in my bag but wasnt playing well enough to make it matter!

I saw cookie play this ball yesterday and I was pretty impressed. I was playing a TP 3 and from what I saw it did everything the TP 3 did. It actually might have been a little better on the green. I am thinking of trying it out to see how it works out for me.

I have really enjoyed playing with the e6 (both the 2013 version as well as the others), but my second favorite balls was the Q Star. After reading all the positive comments about how it performs just as well off the tee and even better around the green then I have to give the 2013 version a try.

The 2013 model the stripe on the box is on the left side of the box rather than the center of the box.

Back