BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

In a couple of days we will be complete.

0E878A57-F5AE-4E55-9426-5769C23C0954.jpegD649B12B-762D-4133-8786-61FA474A3D54.jpegB554391D-555F-4617-B2C3-5DEBBFB2592E.jpeg5176166D-CA6B-4928-8A1E-F51FE3DDCAFD.jpegCBD1A16D-EE85-4C68-BC8D-3E1B58E65F8B.jpeg

Got a late start this morning but this is going on now, some pulled pork
38ea8ee9fbc49833fe5c4eff6cfe017f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't decide what to put on the smoker yesterday, so I bought a turkey tenderloin and also a nice big chunk of Picanha cut beef. We have an 'old-timey' type grocery store very close to me where they cut all their own beef and I can usually get tri-tip, but instead today they had Picanha.

I cut most of the fat cap off the Picanha and then injected both the turkey and the beef with a mix of beer, soy, worceshtershire sauce, fish sauce, and some boullion base. Let that site for 3-4 hours, then drained and added a liberal sprinkling of Meat Church Holy Cow. Smoked with some apple chunks in my Big Green Egg. I had to cook the beef slightly more than my preference as the wife doesn't want it bloody.

It was all good, but the beef was maybe top 10 I've ever had in my life.

cook.jpg

You have the grilla grill? The Alpha is super intriguing to me.
Lots of info this thread on ours. Had it for years, and also have a Traeger (along with the other toys shown haha).

Absolutely love the Grilla and won’t buy another pellet grill that doesn’t have double walled insulation. or incredibly think gauged steel.

Weird. Yeah we were pre order people so got it early too. Not a single issue. Hope they take care of you

They did eventually contact me (took about 2 weeks). I had to have a probe replaced previously so I knew what to expect - which was a request to do a 17 point checklist and send a number of photos. I get that they want to guard against folks complaining just to get free gear, but I'm not sure it's a good customer service strategy... I'm pretty tech savvy but I think a lot of folks wouldn't even be able to follow their instructions. It sort of gives one the vibe that they hope to make it difficult enough that you'll just give up :)

Anyway, I ended up spending about an hour meticulous cleaning the probes and adjusting the charging bands on the station - and I was able to get the probes charging properly again. The block itself always shows itself as half-charged, but I've just decided I'll keep it plugged in continuously and it should be fine.

I wanted to ask you a quick question... On a big piece of meat, I'll often place a couple of probes (sometimes even 3 or 4 on a brisket). I notice a disconcertingly wide range on my temperature readings sometimes when I do that. I get that the thickness of meat could impact internal temps, but sometimes even the ambient temps are off even though I'm cooking indirectly so would expect them to be fairly consistent. I usually end up mentally averaging them and 'ball parking' when to pull stuff. Just curious if you've noticed that there can be a wide discrepancy with different probes?

That outdoor kitchen is off the hook @JB! You are my personal hero.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
They did eventually contact me (took about 2 weeks). I had to have a probe replaced previously so I knew what to expect - which was a request to do a 17 point checklist and send a number of photos. I get that they want to guard against folks complaining just to get free gear, but I'm not sure it's a good customer service strategy... I'm pretty tech savvy but I think a lot of folks wouldn't even be able to follow their instructions. It sort of gives one the vibe that they hope to make it difficult enough that you'll just give up :)

Anyway, I ended up spending about an hour meticulous cleaning the probes and adjusting the charging bands on the station - and I was able to get the probes charging properly again. The block itself always shows itself as half-charged, but I've just decided I'll keep it plugged in continuously and it should be fine.

I wanted to ask you a quick question... On a big piece of meat, I'll often place a couple of probes (sometimes even 3 or 4 on a brisket). I notice a disconcertingly wide range on my temperature readings sometimes when I do that. I get that the thickness of meat could impact internal temps, but sometimes even the ambient temps are off even though I'm cooking indirectly so would expect them to be fairly consistent. I usually end up mentally averaging them and 'ball parking' when to pull stuff. Just curious if you've noticed that there can be a wide discrepancy with different probes?
Not for us. We have done two probes and had them be what is expected, especially on ambient. Sorry wish I could help.

Slept through the brisket stall early this morning, first time going unwrapped... coming up on 20 hours for a 10-11# er, hope it stays juicy but at least the bark will be insane

The new Blackstone Pro is seasoned

42108A7A-75F6-4B81-9B11-9017677D39EE.gif

That just screams 'gimme some smashburgers now!!!!'

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Probably my best one yet, even though it seems slightly overdone (I think?)
20210321_180127.jpg
20210321_180326.jpg
20210321_180814.jpg
20210321_180339_1.gif

First on the new griddle for us was pesto shrimp and scallops

5DF5A50B-12F1-4400-BB7D-787F18D741E5.jpeg

Got a late start this morning but this is going on now, some pulled pork
38ea8ee9fbc49833fe5c4eff6cfe017f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late start too but pushed it through in 8.5 hrs. Besides the meat, is there anything better than the crispy fat at the bottom of the butt when it comes off?!?

8351CC1A-8FCA-4E5D-B1D4-A599FE8DBF9F.jpeg

Yesterday was a good day.

IMG_20200502_181108.jpg

Looks good - did you wrap? I'll be cooking my first on the weekend.
No, I slept through the stall apparently. By the time I woke up at like 730am it was at 174*.. I didn't even spray it down at all

I think I finished cooking around 4, so another 8.5 hours to get the final 25*

I usually do wrap in peach paper, but if I don't wrap again next time (the bark is great on this one) maybe ill inject some beef broth halfway through to keep it moist

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to make burnt ends out of Chuck Roast or Chuck steak? could you share your success failure?

My recent try was chuck roast. Cut into 2-inch cubes. Brined in Worcester kosher salt mix. Rubbed with Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and Smoked until 165 internal temps and a nice bark. Then put cubes into the pan with rendered pork fat and homemade sauce.

Covered with tin foil and finished in the oven at 250. The finished internal temperature of 225 is when the centers were nice and loose.

The results were mixed. Great taste. Poor overall texture. The cubes after the initial smoke had good taste but the exterior had dried out leaving me a coarse texture. The interior is great. Not as stupendous as brisket point or pork belly burnts but worthy of eating.

I believe my next try will be similar except the cubing will occur after the initial smoke.

BTW google making hotdog burnt ends. The Ultimate in taking cheap meat and attempting to make it better.

Back