Best advice you have ever recieved in regards to your golf game

How to get out of a green side bunker:
Imagine your ball is sitting in the middle of dollar bill. Hinge wrist immediately on take away. Hit down on the back of the imaginary dollar bill & follow through.

Never swing with the word "don't" in your head.

Don't forget you paying to play, not getting paid. Have fun.

Make a golf swing, don't try to hit a golf ball. Just was told that recently and man it helped.

Don't take swing advice on the course and don't offer swing advice on the course.

Immediately forget the last shot. Leave it where it is - in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Remember to smile.

I have a few.

- Boring shots often lead to par or better.
- A missed shot is simply an opportunity for a great recovery shot.
- Course management and learning to leave the driver in the bag. Changed my game.

What is the best golf tip you ever got?

What is the best golf tip you ever got?

This started out to be a new thread, but after doing my due diligence search prior to posting, I found, not one, but, several similar threads. I've resurrected this one from Freddie Kong (Tadashi) back in 2011 because it seems to be most similar to what I was trying to accomplish by this posting.

As I am about to begin another series of lessons with my swing guru, I was thinking about this the other day. Over the years, I have gotten golf tips from good instructors, not-so-good ones, buddies, and the occasional bystander who just happened to witness my swing and gave me an unsolicited, and usually, unwanted tip. I thought it would be a good for discussion to have a thread where we could share some of the pearls of wisdom we’ve gotten over the years, and, heck, we might even learn a little something. If you agree, share with us one or two of the best tips you’ve ever gotten. As an example, I’ll start off with one of the best I’ve ever gotten. Here's one of mine:

The Problem:

I was having a problem hitting my iron shots left. (I’m right handed). I would hit the ball solidly and the appropriate distance, but generally left of target. After trying everything I could think of, including lots of unsolicited buddy tips, I went to this instructor at a neighboring club who came highly recommended.

The Solution:

After explaining the problem (which I was convinced was “coming over the top”), my new then, but now forever, golf guru had me hit a few balls with a six iron. After a very few, he told me to take my normal set-up and just hold it. He then took a club and placed it across my shoulders asked me where the club was pointing. It was pointing way left of target. He then asked me where I thought the ball was going to fly if I swung the club on plane. The answer was clear, it’s going to go left, and since my feet and hips were square to the target, it’s more than likely going to hook too, unless I somehow compensated during the swing. He then took away the club, stepped back and used it to move my hands at address back to the middle of my stance. The shoulders automatically squared up. He then told me to hit the ball, and voila! I was instantly hitting lasers directly at the target. I had developed a "forward press" with my hands at address. It was the simplest of tips, but very effective. Today, if I pull one left, I automatically remember to check my shoulder alignment on the next shot. If you start hitting the ball left a lot, check your set up and make sure your shoulders, hips and feet are all square to your target line. It just might work for you too.

Bumping. See above. Just trying to determine whether this was a bad idea, or if nobody saw it yesterday because of the Super Bowl.

I know it's a bit of an exaggeration..."half as hard, twice as far".

Greatest tip I was ever given was from Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book". He is famous for coining the phrase "Take Dead Aim"!! That really helps me focus and stay in the moment on every shot. I always try to hole every shot. To clarify that, I don't aim at every flag that is tucked in a corner by a bunker, but I do try to shape a shot that will allow the ball to safely hit the green and release to the target. Inside 100 yards is when I really try to hole everything. For me it's a great way to keep live tension in my swing.

Stop taking it so seriously. After the first year or two of golfing I was getting better, but not at the rate I thought I should be and it showed on the course. Frustration would set in and I would be in a bad spot in my mind for most of a round.

A buddy of mine told me to just have fun. So, for the next couple of rounds we didn't keep score or anything. Best thing that's ever happened. I know enjoy the game for what it is as opposed to what I want it to be.

I got some really good advice from the director of golf at my home course. I asked him, since I am getting it range on more par 5s. Especially iron distances, mental tips to calm down and not put a quick rushed swing on the ball.

His answer, "instead of being in range and thinking that eagle is the goal, get in range an think birdie. Get it up there and if you miss the green trust your short game."

Great tip that works in life as well.

Think smarter not harder.

in the last samurai when tom cruise is getting beat up during training one of the dudes goes up to him and says "too many mind". obviously you want to think and prepare for shots, but at a certain point you're just thinking too much.

so when one of us starts getting in a funk, the other will say "too many mind". it's a nice trigger/reminder to relax and just play. being tense and stressed will only make it worse.

Go to the range everyday and do nothing but hit irons....from 3-LW but primarily focus on 6 through PW and master those irons....your index will drop 100 fold guaranteed. All I did for 5 straight years in the 90's was hit and practice irons. Golf is all about irons and great iron play. Sticking lawn darts from 200 yds and in. I did that and the game became some kind of wonderful. It's hard to explain unless you've ever been in that "ball striking" zone that I speak of.

Swing easy, hit hard.

Go to the range everyday and do nothing but hit irons....from 3-LW but primarily focus on 6 through PW and master those irons....your index will drop 100 fold guaranteed. All I did for 5 straight years in the 90's was hit and practice irons. Golf is all about irons and great iron play. Sticking lawn darts from 200 yds and in. I did that and the game became some kind of wonderful. It's hard to explain unless you've ever been in that "ball striking" zone that I speak of.

I'll start doing this with my hitting net!

My Dad, who was a scratch golfer back in the day, gave me a putting tip that I have taken to heart. If you can get the ball to die at the hole, you increase the size of the hole by almost a ball because it's more likely to fall in right on the edge. I've had more than a few drop in sideways at he last moment just because of that.

A lot of my advancements, such that they are, I credit to Shawn Clement. Before watching his videos, believe it or not, I never really considered the role of gravity in the golf swing. If you're fighting gravity, you're fighting a losing battle and taking away a vital component your central nervous system needs to decide how hard to hit the ball.

Best tip I ever received was to have both points of thumb/index fingers (where they meet-ish), point toward my right shoulder at address. It took getting used to but helped my drives.

Sell ya clubs :beat-up:

Everything my coach notices is not right at every lesson. My swing and game just keep getting better and better.

Back