Best College Football Player Ever

It's tough not to let some of these guys disappointing NFL careers not cloud your judgement a little, Wuerffel for example, I never even considered him.

Ron Dayne.

I think Tebow had the best college career, although I dont think he was the best player. Bo Jackson is probably the best player of all time.

The college game was much different back then and the RB was the feature player. For anyone who stayed up late on Saturdays, how can we forget about Marshal Faulk at SDSU? Lesser competition for sure, but he could flat out dominate a game. Charles Woodson is still the only primarily defensive player to win a Heisman. There must be a reason for that, he was damn good on the field.
LaDainian Tomlinson was no slouch in college either.

I glanced over it earlier and it didn't hit me. There's been very little discussion about Peyton Manning here. He still can't win the big games, but his career numbers have him as one of the best.

Vince Young.......but I might be slightly bias with that choice.

Rocket. I've never seen a guy go from 0 to top speed like that. That acceleration. His pro career was unspectacular, but he was a monster in college. Definitely robbed of the Heisman.

[video=youtube;Sb-QBR2IzlQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-QBR2IzlQ[/video]

Speaking of one year, for one year Marcus depree was by the far the best player I ever saw play. I was at a game he played in and you could see the secondary was scared to death

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

An absolute man among boys. He was a beast. One of the biggest drops from greatness that I have ever witnessed. #BOOMER

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I never watched Deion at FSU, I watched him quite a bit as a cowboy growing up, and know he was a great player. But looking at his stats at FSU, they are good, but not what qualifies as best player ever. I'm sure a big reason his pick numbers were low was because he forced qbs to stay away from him, but surely he isn't the only great corner to get thrown away from.

I've seen his return highlights, and he was obviously electric. But looking at the stats again he was far from a league of his own.

I'm not saying he wasn't, I'm asking what made him the greatest.

What made him the greatest? 2 words - jheri curl.

Tebow
Bo
Prime Time

Would be my top three. I'm not sure that would be the exact order, as all three of them were amazing at their positions.

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I never watched Deion at FSU, I watched him quite a bit as a cowboy growing up, and know he was a great player. But looking at his stats at FSU, they are good, but not what qualifies as best player ever. I'm sure a big reason his pick numbers were low was because he forced qbs to stay away from him, but surely he isn't the only great corner to get thrown away from.

I've seen his return highlights, and he was obviously electric. But looking at the stats again he was far from a league of his own.

I'm not saying he wasn't, I'm asking what made him the greatest.
As a kid growing up despising FSU I loved Primetime. Yes he was an outstanding DB but he was even better in the return game.

https://youtu.be/armmKMwfUtk

Rocket. I've never seen a guy go from 0 to top speed like that. That acceleration. His pro career was unspectacular, but he was a monster in college. Definitely robbed of the Heisman.

[video=youtube;Sb-QBR2IzlQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-QBR2IzlQ[/video]

as a miami fan growing up, i hated that guy because nobody could stop him. he was incredible.

I have already picked through my red & black glasses but seriously, tell me how do you really pick between these guys. I know Marcus did not qualify for the title because of not having the full career. I still stand by Herschel because he had better stats than Bo in a 3 year vs 4 year career.

Those guys were just flat out fast and awesome powerful RB's...but man there is some bad tackling in that video haha

I have already picked through my red & black glasses but seriously, tell me how do you really pick between these guys. I know Marcus did not qualify for the title because of not having the full career. I still stand by Herschel because he had better stats than Bo in a 3 year vs 4 year career.

I would say he had more stats, not better stats. Bo had more than a full yard more per carry, and less carries per TD as well. But Walker definitely gets the nod in the workhouse column without a doubt.

I would say he had more stats, not better stats. Bo had more than a full yard more per carry, and less carries per TD as well. But Walker definitely gets the nod in the workhouse column without a doubt.

Agree with this. Plus Bo missed the majority of the 1984 season with an injury. And he shared the backfield with another pretty darn good RB for a few years (Brent Fullwood).

Ernie Davis is one that will go down as one of the most unmentioned great backs in college football history

Ernie Davis is one that will go down as one of the most unmentioned great backs in college football history

Ernie has a sad story. Syracuse great, 1st pick, traded to be partnered with Brown in an unstoppable tandem, and never played a game.

I a true stud but way before 1980

I know this will get a lot of snickers but the Boz is way up on the list too if you don't believe how good he was just watch the game against Miami

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ernie has a sad story. Syracuse great, 1st pick, traded to be partnered with Brown in an unstoppable tandem, and never played a game.

I was only able to see him play on TV once, back then there were very few games on TV. Everyone knew Ernie Davis and he was indeed awesome.

It's tough not to let some of these guys disappointing NFL careers not cloud your judgement a little, Wuerffel for example, I never even considered him.

I don't think most people would think Wuerffel belongs on this list. I can't believe hardly a mention for Doug Flutie. First QB to win Heisman (1984) since 1971. He was electric - pretty much won games on his own. Basically all the best parts of Manziel without all the ego & idiocy. Definitely one of the best college QB's since 1980 - & up there on the all-time college QB list.

Still, I'd say Herschel Walker, then Bo (but he'd be number 1 if it was best college ATHLETE because of his excellence in baseball too)

Down here in the "Deep South" it's said to be Marcus Dupree... His story has been displayed on ESPN's 30 for 30 and it's pretty compelling. I met him through work as he speaks for us and he's such a nice guy. If you watch video, he was Bo before Bo. The dude was an absolute beast. I think he's right up there with the best.

Last edited:
Down here in the "Deep South" it's said to be Marcus Dupree... His story has been displayed on ESPN's 30 for 30 and it's pretty compelling. I met him through work as he speaks for us and he's such a nice guy. If you watch video, he was Bo before Bo, Herschel before Herschel. The dude was an absolute beast. I think he's right up there with the best.
He may have been Bo before Bo, but he certainly wasn't Herschel before Herschel, since Herschel was in his final season when Dupree came around, and Herschel won the Heisman during Duprees big year.

He may have been Bo before Bo, but he certainly wasn't Herschel before Herschel, since Herschel was in his final season when Dupree came around, and Herschel won the Heisman during Duprees big year.
That's why I quantify the point with "among the best"... No doubt that had he not had the injuries, he would've been a serious challenger for the heisman, especially if he had four years of play as well, but, "If ifs and buts were presents and nuts, we'd all have a great Christmas"! I think the title of the 30 for 30 was perfect for Dupree: The Best That Never Was...

That's why I quantify the point with "among the best"... No doubt that had he not had the injuries, he would've been a serious challenger for the heisman, especially if he had four years of play as well, but, "If ifs and buts were presents and nuts, we'd all have a great Christmas"! I think the title of the 30 for 30 was perfect for Dupree: The Best That Never Was...
Haha, I was just saying Herschel came first.

I need to watch the special, I have no idea what led to all of Duprees problems.

Back