Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

I miss talking about my Morgan Cup Bridgestone gear....

I am so glad this driver is in my bag. I don't know what happened while at the Morgan Cup but somewhere in there I found some extra distance. During the Saturday afternoon match JB and I were absolutely in shock and just laughing at some of the balls I hit. The one on 13 stands out in particular. On the card it's 354, it's a sharp dog leg left and we were what, 50 yards out I think. Just stupid long. Well upon getting home I just kept swinging that way, really wide take away and swing hard as hell and I have picked up a solid 10 to sometimes 20 yards on my drives. I know it's not magic, it's this club doing all of it, it's my swing and when I'm getting it right like I am now I can hit the ball a long ways. Where this driver helps me a ton is that my misses are not exaggerated into these ginormous slices anymore. The shaft allows me to go after the ball as aggressively as I want to and the results are usually a great mid trajectory ball with *gasp* a little right to left shot shape. PERFECT!

So, Jake Straight is actually straight! You are the man!

So, Jake Straight is actually straight! You are the man!
Funny thing SethO. Jake Straight right now is as confused as a puppy in a hub cap factory. I can still flail out the high/weak fade that irritates the crap out of me, that means I just didn't get through the ball and have no power at all. Or now there is the "whoops, got through that one a little too much" pull hook that likes to pop up. I can live with that one because that tells me it was an aggressive swing, just maybe a little too aggressive. More often than not I've been hitting a pretty nice straight ball lately though. Crazy huh?

I love hearing stories like this Jake. I have been working on my swing since the Morgan Cup as I need to find more distance but I don't want to lose any of the accuracy. It will be interesting to see how my perception of this driver changes as I try to draw the ball and gain some more yards. I will be trying out a few different shafts with the J40 head at the Iowa tour stop as well to make sure I have the right fit for my game.

Finally got my skycaddie scores uploaded. Of my last 15 rounds my fwy % is at 67.4% with the J40 driver. Which is higher than I had with the tm 2.0. Love this driver. Plus my average drive is in the 260 range. Which I don't think is too shabby.

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

I kind of took the driver out of play for me yesterday only hitting it 4 times because I was getting such good results from my 3 wood off the tee. The times I hit it though I sure did it good catching 3/4 fairways with one not being close. On one of the par 5's my drive put me in a real good position to go for it, but since I committed to laying up on all 5's yesterday it didn't really matter too much. Still me and this club have continued to find out stride over the last 3-4 weeks and it's just a great feeling.

I am just so consistant with this thing. I have really found a comfort level I have not had with any other drivers. I would like to see some more distance but that is an issue with my swing and not the club. My home course is short with tight fairways and it seems my swing has changed because of it. Now I need to work on getting some of that distance back so I can tackle some of the longer courses. The nice thing is that I am confident I can get more out of the driver.

Got a few more rounds in with the J40. Man it's a fairway finder and long! Once I get my new stats, I will get you guys updated. I only missed 3 or 4 fairways I think. And they were just off with one being hitting thru a fairway.

I am really happy with this driver right now. I have been very accurate during my time with it and found almost all the fairways during the Morgan Cup but lately it has got even better. This was the first round this year that I just wanted to pull the driver out of the bag at every opportunity. I used it on every par 4 and 5 tonight and went 11/14 in very windy conditions on a tight course. I had my longest driving day of the year by far. I finally feel locked in with this thing. I think it is a combination of the time I have spent working on this part of my game and using the Orange Whip swing trainer. I am looking forward to the Iowa tour stop where I will put this head to head with a few other drivers but right now I am loving the low spin fairway finder I have in the bag.

I have decided to put this driver on the bench for the moment due to lack of performance. Not sure why but it has gone south for me after have quite a few good rounds with it. I need to get my "off the tee" game back in order and then maybe I will look back to the J40. If not then someone on THP might get a really good deal on one.

I am really happy with this driver right now. I have been very accurate during my time with it and found almost all the fairways during the Morgan Cup but lately it has got even better. This was the first round this year that I just wanted to pull the driver out of the bag at every opportunity. I used it on every par 4 and 5 tonight and went 11/14 in very windy conditions on a tight course. I had my longest driving day of the year by far. I finally feel locked in with this thing. I think it is a combination of the time I have spent working on this part of my game and using the Orange Whip swing trainer. I am looking forward to the Iowa tour stop where I will put this head to head with a few other drivers but right now I am loving the low spin fairway finder I have in the bag.

THat is great stuff Howzat. I too had my longest driving day of the year with a J40 head. It has been a while, but it was a great feeling.

THat is great stuff Howzat. I too had my longest driving day of the year with a J40 head. It has been a while, but it was a great feeling.

Thanks JB. I was able to take my driving range swing to the course today. I seem to get to the tee box and look at these narrow tree lined fairways and panic. Just play a safe cut get it in the fairway and try to get on with a long iron or hybrid. Today I just let it rip and hit it nice a straight with a few fades for good measure. Got another 40 yards out of this thing on a few holes and had less than 100 yards in several times. It really felt good and is a huge boost of confidence. If I could putt today I would have broken 80 for the first time no sweat.

I hit a few other drivers this last weekend and I'm not sure if any of the ones I hit work better for me than the J40 does right now. Kind of surprised me to be honest with you. I'm looking forward to getting it on a monitor at the Tour Stop in Atlantic City to see what kind of numbers I'm getting from it.

I hit a few other drivers this last weekend and I'm not sure if any of the ones I hit work better for me than the J40 does right now. Kind of surprised me to be honest with you. I'm looking forward to getting it on a monitor at the Tour Stop in Atlantic City to see what kind of numbers I'm getting from it.

From what I understand, there will not be a LM at the tour stops. Unless of course you are referring to one that is not provided by THP.

Man was I finding fwys with this bad boy over the weekend. Plus a few other thpers got to crush it too. I'm sure they will be in here...

"Man that is an awesome driver!"

Man was I finding fwys with this bad boy over the weekend. Plus a few other thpers got to crush it too. I'm sure they will be in here...

"Man that is an awesome driver!"

Best driver I hit all weekend! I absolutely smoked the tee ball, first time. For a 9* head it had a great launch angle, didn't balloon and wasn't a screamer. Pushed a little right, into the rough but it left me 78 into the green on the par 4. I'll take that EVERYDAY!

I was thoroughly impressed with the feel at impact. And being 1.5* lower than my gaming driver, I was floored when I saw the distance.

Why did you let me hit that frog! Its gonna cost me some $$$

Hah, good job Bridgestone that is one hell of a driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Best driver I hit all weekend! I absolutely smoked the tee ball, first time. For a 9* head it had a great launch angle, didn't balloon and wasn't a screamer. Pushed a little right, into the rough but it left me 78 into the green on the par 4. I'll take that EVERYDAY!

I was thoroughly impressed with the feel at impact. And being 1.5* lower than my gaming driver, I was floored when I saw the distance.

Why did you let me hit that frog! Its gonna cost me some $$$

Hah, good job Bridgestone that is one hell of a driver.

I could see one in your bag. You bombed it dude. So did Brock. I think it surprised both of you. Heck, first words out of your mouth was "That is an awesome driver." You are still thinking about it aren't you... Lol

Hey CG!!!!!! Glad you got to try this one!

I was at PGA SS the other day and man, I was really trying to get some people to try this driver. Still don't see it coming out of the bag. Never has one club been so consistent. I'd like to put it up against another driver just for kicks though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

What's up yoccos. Well I watched bullfrog poke it out there to just about every fairway.

I only took one swing with it but the feel at impact was very solid, and the shaft combo was perfect. Got up there and just flew. Real good club

What's up yoccos. Well I watched bullfrog poke it out there to just about every fairway.

I only took one swing with it but the feel at impact was very solid, and the shaft combo was perfect. Got up there and just flew. Real good club

I'd think you would like it. You liked the low spin of the R11 last year.

Hey CG!!!!!! Glad you got to try this one!

I was at PGA SS the other day and man, I was really trying to get some people to try this driver. Still don't see it coming out of the bag. Never has one club been so consistent. I'd like to put it up against another driver just for kicks though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

I have tried to put it up against another driver....has not worked that great yet. J40 goes back in the bag for today's 9 to see if I can rekindle some of the success I had in SC with it.

I have tried to put it up against another driver....has not worked that great yet. J40 goes back in the bag for today's 9 to see if I can rekindle some of the success I had in SC with it.

I feel the same way. For the last 6 weeks things have been great with this driver, I see no real reason to replace it yet, and I haven't found one that takes it out of my bag.

How did it work out fo ryou Cook? I haven't been able to swing in a little bit.

How did it work out fo ryou Cook? I haven't been able to swing in a little bit.

It went pretty well. I still missed some fairways but they were manageable. My miss is a push/leak to the right that I really think has more to do with ball position than anything. Got back to that penetrating trajectory that I am always striving for.

Wednesday and yesterday we had a ton of wind here (constant 12-17 with gusts north of 20) so it was a combination of letting it fly downwind and trying to keep it really low into the wind. Since I am one that always sweeps the ball and tees is lower than most, I actually was hitting directly into the wind yesterday on the range and had it teed up less than an inch high and was hitting some great little stingers I guess you would call them into the wind - perhaps a shot I can add to the bag as I play it more.

In summary, it performed well enough for me to put my other driver up for sale! I still have yet to find something that consistently performs better than the J40.

It went pretty well. I still missed some fairways but they were manageable. My miss is a push/leak to the right that I really think has more to do with ball position than anything. Got back to that penetrating trajectory that I am always striving for.

Wednesday and yesterday we had a ton of wind here (constant 12-17 with gusts north of 20) so it was a combination of letting it fly downwind and trying to keep it really low into the wind. Since I am one that always sweeps the ball and tees is lower than most, I actually was hitting directly into the wind yesterday on the range and had it teed up less than an inch high and was hitting some great little stingers I guess you would call them into the wind - perhaps a shot I can add to the bag as I play it more.

In summary, it performed well enough for me to put my other driver up for sale! I still have yet to find something that consistently performs better than the J40.

LOL. Thats awesome dude. No reason to keep the other around if you're not using it.

Back