Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

After getting in 5-6 rounds with these irons I can honestly say that these irons are simply more accurate than all the irons I have previously played...I am going at more pins than I ever have...at first I thought I was just swinging better but since I am hitting my woods horrendously, I think the DPC's are just more accurate for whatever reason.

To be honest, I was never a believer in the "these irons are more accurate" mantra as I thought all irons were pretty much the same other than feel, but now I dont believe this...the feedback you get from these irons lets you know pretty much where on the face you hit it and whether you hit it thin or fat...this in itself helps you hit the sweet spot more often as the feedback is very accurate and immediate.

I am not a good golfer by any means but I have not had any trouble hitting these irons and I am 2 degrees strong.

Highly recommend these irons to any cappers at 15 or less.

Great feedback man and I agree with your findings.

These performed absolutely fantastically for me in the Morgan Cup and there is no way that anyone could take these out of my bag. I like to think that my game in general has significantly improved over the last 2 months and these are a major factor in that. Forgiveness, turf interaction, feedback, and a simple classy look - they have it all and I gladly look forward to keeping this thread going with just how these are working for me.

Bridgestone hit a homerun with the DPC's - I have yet to hit an iron that work better for my game.

I think the turf interaction is the main thing I'm looking forward to

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I've been swinging these in my apartment, taking them for their maiden voyage tomorrow at the range.

First, it seems like they are lighter than my MP60s and I like that. Not super light, but they just don't feel super heavy either. I'm a little worried about the lie though. I was skeptical at my fitting about +1 upright as an "anti slice" mechanism when the static fitting suggested going flat. If my swing gets back to being where I like it (small draws) I think the upright is going to cause me problems, but we'll see.

Honestly though these irons are gorgeous. I have them propped up on my wall and they are amazing. With grips "letter down" and the KBS stickers also on the back of the shaft it's an extremely clean look. I love it.

After getting in 5-6 rounds with these irons I can honestly say that these irons are simply more accurate than all the irons I have previously played...I am going at more pins than I ever have...at first I thought I was just swinging better but since I am hitting my woods horrendously, I think the DPC's are just more accurate for whatever reason.

To be honest, I was never a believer in the "these irons are more accurate" mantra as I thought all irons were pretty much the same other than feel, but now I dont believe this...the feedback you get from these irons lets you know pretty much where on the face you hit it and whether you hit it thin or fat...this in itself helps you hit the sweet spot more often as the feedback is very accurate and immediate.

I am not a good golfer by any means but I have not had any trouble hitting these irons and I am 2 degrees strong.

Highly recommend these irons to any cappers at 15 or less.

Bummer :( I was really looking forward to hitting these.

Bummer :( I was really looking forward to hitting these.

It's not that a high capper can't hit these , cause they can...but the severe toe and heel shots will cause distance loss and high cappers prob don't need this...and if you tee the ball up too high and catch it high on the face on a par 3 you will know it...sgi irons are a lot taller on the face so more room for error...but in general these are pretty forgiving irons.

But I am a hack so if I'm using them I'm sure you can too....think the reason I said what I did was because for me, the 5 iron is definitely more difficult to hit than the 6 iron.

You should try them out.

I've been swinging these in my apartment, taking them for their maiden voyage tomorrow at the range.

First, it seems like they are lighter than my MP60s and I like that. Not super light, but they just don't feel super heavy either. I'm a little worried about the lie though. I was skeptical at my fitting about +1 upright as an "anti slice" mechanism when the static fitting suggested going flat. If my swing gets back to being where I like it (small draws) I think the upright is going to cause me problems, but we'll see.

Honestly though these irons are gorgeous. I have them propped up on my wall and they are amazing. With grips "letter down" and the KBS stickers also on the back of the shaft it's an extremely clean look. I love it.

Where are the pics?!!

We can never get enough of the pics...:)

It's not that a high capper can't hit these , cause they can...but the severe toe and heel shots will cause distance loss and high cappers prob don't need this...and if you tee the ball up too high and catch it high on the face on a par 3 you will know it...sgi irons are a lot taller on the face so more room for error...but in general these are pretty forgiving irons.

But I am a hack so if I'm using them I'm sure you can too....think the reason I said what I did was because for me, the 5 iron is definitely more difficult to hit than the 6 iron.

You should try them out.

I was just giving you a hard time for saying that! I will be trying these bad boys out in September for sure.

I think I might be regripping my irons tonight. Taking off the Lamkin Crossline grips and adding these.

UST-COMP-red.jpg

I think I might be regripping my irons tonight. Taking off the Lamkin Crossline grips and adding these.

UST-COMP-red.jpg

Any reason for those in particular? I am looking for new grips as well and the new Golf Pride Z-grip cords are the front runner.

Any reason for those in particular? I am looking for new grips as well and the new Golf Pride Z-grip cords are the front runner.

I have 13 of them laying around I bought on clearance. I've used the blue ones before and liked them a lot.

I have 13 of them laying around I bought on clearance. I've used the blue ones before and liked them a lot.

That makes a lot of sense. I have a bunch of older Winn grips laying around but I am not sure if I like them. I think I will stick one on and see how it goes. I do think I am going to end up having these bent a degree or two strong. Need to close a gap between my hybrids and irons and my wedge gaps seem too tight.

*swoon*

I tried out almost every grip at that PGA superstore in MB and the Z's felt great. At almost $10 a pop I paused a little but I love the feel.

I tried out almost every grip at that PGA superstore in MB and the Z's felt great. At almost $10 a pop I paused a little but I love the feel.

I've yet to see them in person. But I hate spending $10 per grip.

I've yet to see them in person. But I hate spending $10 per grip.

Me too. Likely why I am still pondering. I think I will hit up Blind 9 and see what they can do.

ebay is your friend for grips...for me, nothing beats golf pride new decade.

Not that we haven't seen these a bunch already but here are my beauties. Please excuse the crappy cell phone pictures.

Spoiler
2012-08-02_17-18-49_637.jpg

2012-08-02_17-19-11_967.jpg

2012-08-02_17-19-51_397.jpg

2012-08-02_17-20-15_84.jpg

2012-08-02_17-20-24_702.jpg

2012-08-02_17-20-40_233.jpg

And my personal favorite:
Spoiler
2012-08-02_17-19-01_623.jpg

Look good bahester, such a sweet set of irons.

Look good bahester, such a sweet set of irons.

Yes they are. About to take them on their maiden voyage to the driving range. I'm actually nervous, this is weird!

They are badass looking. I would have these in the bag in a hot minute! Congrats on your new sticks man

Looking great man, just seeing those has me itching to get back out to the course!!

Anxiously awaiting your thoughts man.

They are badass looking. I would have these in the bag in a hot minute! Congrats on your new sticks man

Thanks pal! They are awesome looking, I agree. I just like how they are so clean looking. Not a lot of jazz to them, and I'm a big fan of that.

Glad you got the right irons Brooks!

Brooks I think you are going to love that j40 KBS pairing

Back