Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

I was hitting some Bridgestone Demos at the range yesterday and had a largely positive response to them. One negative I did notice. The PW for the DPC's has got to be the ugliest iron at address I've ever seen. I don't know what it was about it but it was just plain uncomfortable to stand over. Easy fix...CB.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Wow really? Thats interesting! Different strokes for different folks!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Freddie, just out of pure curiosity do you know what range of distances you're seeing so far. Just in the ballpark if you don't mind.

It's hard to say but I would say I'm at 130-135 PW and 170- 175 7i

I was hitting some Bridgestone Demos at the range yesterday and had a largely positive response to them. One negative I did notice. The PW for the DPC's has got to be the ugliest iron at address I've ever seen. I don't know what it was about it but it was just plain uncomfortable to stand over. Easy fix...CB.

What was it about the PW that you didn't like?

Jeez Freddie, why even bend them 2* stronger? Just b/c that would mirror the R11's?

What was it about the PW that you didn't like?

Can't quite put my finger on it but I think it's that because the sole of the club has such a razor sharp and straight as an arrow leading edge I expected more of a sharp, boxy, squared off top line and toe. The top line comes out of the hosel fairly straight and then about a quarter of the way toward the toe it starts to round up very steeply and then just rounds off at the toe way too much. It's like the leading edge and the top line are from two different irons.

Jeez Freddie, why even bend them 2* stronger? Just b/c that would mirror the R11's?

That's exactly why, plus I have been 2* strong on all my clubs for years. I wanted them set when they arrived.

That's exactly why, plus I have been 2* strong on all my clubs for years. I wanted them set when they arrived.

That's what I figured dude. Makes sense to me. I'm glad you like them. The Bstone dudes striped the crap out of these irons man.

That's what I figured dude. Makes sense to me. I'm glad you like them. The Bstone dudes striped the crap out of these irons man.

I'll need a breakin period like anything new. Completely different miss feel
Then my previous

I completely agree! bridgestone is a first class company and with growth means more options. I love it. some of the questions the rep was asking us was very intriguing.
After they have sent me both J40 irons, bent to my specs, and having sent me the J40 driver to demo, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that Bridgestone has the best customer service in the industry. I called three other companies to get demos and they wouldn't do it! A big reason why I ended up ordering the J40 PC. I asked the rep I've been going through for the demos why they don't have more clubs out here to try, or even fitting reps at regional demo days. He said they just don't have the staff for it. I told him, which he, and all of us know, there equipment is some of the best there is. If they had it out in more stores, at more demo days, etc, there would be a WHOLE lot of Bridgestones at golf courses on Saturdays and Sundays.
After how kind they've been to let me demo stuff, I'll be a total homer for them for life!!!

Awesome man! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Welcome to the DPC family!!

Thanks!!! I was able to pass on the demos to a co-worker whose wife played on the LPGA tour and coached at a university. There is a good chance after he demos those bad-boys that another set or two might make their way to Louisiana!

Thanks!!! I was able to pass on the demos to a co-worker whose wife played on the LPGA tour and coached at a university. There is a good chance after he demos those bad-boys that another set or two might make their way to Louisiana!

Always a good thing to spread the Bridgestone love. Truly, they rock.

I hit these really well today. It took me about 5-6 holes to figure out truly how far I hit them with a premium ball and I was seeing normal distances, thankfully. I overall struck my irons pretty well all day, though my GIR won't reflect it. I'm looking forward to getting some more rounds and practice in with these. The KBS Tour's are just sooo smooth. And, I actually didn't have too much trouble with wind today. The ball flight was very high, but it never seems like the wind held the ball up much, so that was good. I'm very happy with how they performed today, and I think they will be in the bag for quite a bit.

Good start Brooks, those GIR will come around as you get the distances/dispersion dialed in.

Have anything today that really showed off the forgiveness or turf interaction?

Good start Brooks, those GIR will come around as you get the distances/dispersion dialed in.

Have anything today that really showed off the forgiveness or turf interaction?

Oh definitely. I can't stress enough that these irons are so much more forgiving than I thought they'd be. I mean I can bust out a slice on any other club in my bag but I can't slice any of these irons, no matter how ugly my swing is. It just turns into a straight little fade. These things are just so dang awesome when it comes to that.

Also, the turf interaction is very good. The clubs feel very smooth through impact interacting with the grass. I get nice, long, medium divots. They aren't insanely deep like my wedges but they aren't shallow like someone who picks the ball or something. 8 inches or so of nice turf flinging.

Another bonus, you can work these irons....this is coming from a guy who just discovered that he could work the ball at all earlier today....:).

Granted it was off of mats today, but I was consistently hitting fades followed by draws at will today.

Not sure it completely relates to just the dpc's since I was working my driver and other woods today also...but the dpc's were behaving as they were told to do today.

Today was the first time I have really tried to work the ball but it wasnt that difficult using mostly feet alignment techniques.

Another reason I love these clubs!

Played 9 today, admittedly without a warm up. Shot a 45 on par 36, (2 pars). I intended to make the round Irons Only, but I decided to pull out the driver after the second hole. I hit well, but my distances are still off. I am super confident with each, but I need more time to dial in the various shots. I was right on line with almost every approach shot, but I either came up short or 10-15 yards past the intended target. The bright side is that I was on line. I did have a few miss hits and my putting let me down today, so all things considered, I feel that I did very well with these my first time on course.

It became very apparent that I am under clubbed. 5-PW, 56 and 60 degree wedges, and a driver. I am gonna need to spend more money.

Nice round for gaming new clubs! I have yet to play the set I picked up but the range results are promising. The Pw being 47 degrees it does seem as though the gap between that and the 56 is large. So the question is what will you spend the money on? Ate reviews have been good but J40 wedges sound good too. I will be in a similar situation if these j40's work out for me. Continued success with the new sticks

I had these on the range but today was the maiden voyage. I order mine +2 strong 1/2* flat with three wraps under a standard grip with KBS tour shafts.

I was not to sure of my distances so I trusted the lofts and the swing. I am going say the yardages are longer than my Srixons and a few yards shorter than my R11s.
The same holds true for feel. These are right in between the two sets. There was a harsher feel with the Srixons and sometimes no feel on the R11s on flush hits. The DPC have that melting into the face feel I think we all look for in our irons. I also can feel the shaft load and unload at impact.
The look of these clubs is sick in terms of physical makeup. The nickel chrome and diamond textured back are really sharp. The head shape is a bit of a departure from tradition in the right direction. I had no trepidation standing over any of the shots I hit today and was actually really surprised by the ball flight of the 5i. Those that have played with me know I have a mid ball flight with my long irons. Well today that was not the case, this combo is a portable launching pad. The Morgan clippers has to be loving these in the bag, it's starting that way for me.

I had these on the range but today was the maiden voyage. I order mine +2 strong 1/2* flat with three wraps under a standard grip with KBS tour shafts.

I was not to sure of my distances so I trusted the lofts and the swing. I am going say the yardages are longer than my Srixons and a few yards shorter than my R11s.
The same holds true for feel. These are right in between the two sets. There was a harsher feel with the Srixons and sometimes no feel on the R11s on flush hits. The DPC have that melting into the face feel I think we all look for in our irons. I also can feel the shaft load and unload at impact.
The look of these clubs is sick in terms of physical makeup. The nickel chrome and diamond textured back are really sharp. The head shape is a bit of a departure from tradition in the right direction. I had no trepidation standing over any of the shots I hit today and was actually really surprised by the ball flight of the 5i. Those that have played with me know I have a mid ball flight with my long irons. Well today that was not the case, this combo is a portable launching pad. The Morgan clippers has to be loving these in the bag, it's starting that way for me.

Dude, we need to play, soon. I want to see you go to work with these. But would also like to see you hit yours compared to mine with the Tour 90 shafts in them.

Dude, we need to play, soon. I want to see you go to work with these. But would also like to see you hit yours compared to mine with the Tour 90 shafts in them.

Let's tee it up next week.

Nice round for gaming new clubs! I have yet to play the set I picked up but the range results are promising. The Pw being 47 degrees it does seem as though the gap between that and the 56 is large. So the question is what will you spend the money on? Ate reviews have been good but J40 wedges sound good too. I will be in a similar situation if these j40's work out for me. Continued success with the new sticks

Thanks,,

Yes, I need to re-think my wedges to fill the gaps. I like reviews of the J40 wedges, but a deal may be found before I order a set. I am happy with my G2, but I would like newer tech if there is any performance advantage, however I am no threat to the longest drive challenge anymore - I am more concerned with accuracy.
I also need to fill the longer gaps with hybrid(s)/fairway wood(s). I picked up a burner 3wood a while back that needs a new shaft, so this may be where I start.

Call me a wannabe but I would like to try j40 wood and hybrids. I am impressed with my limited time with the irons and the overall positive feedback on the entire line.

Call me a wannabe but I would like to try j40 wood and hybrids. I am impressed with my limited time with the irons and the overall positive feedback on the entire line.

There's quite a bit of discussion on them on the forum buddy. LOTS of people, especially the MC staffers rave about the woods and hybrids. You should give those thread a look!

Back