Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

My F3+ would be sub tree-line, Frank.

Definitely the case for me also

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I was gonna ask people about their height with the F3 off the deck. I hit shots that stay below the tree line. I have to plow turf to get it up a little higher.

I would say that my F3 is about tree line. Love the trajectory of it. :)

With my F3, I'm finding that I'm having trouble hitting it off the very thin lies that abound on my home course.
That's had me hitting my hyrid or longing for my old V-steel 3-wood more often than I would like. It's to the point now that I'm actually pondering a new fairway wood with a flatter leading lower edge.

With my F3, I'm finding that I'm having trouble hitting it off the very thin lies that abound on my home course.
That's had me hitting my hyrid or longing for my old V-steel 3-wood more often than I would like. It's to the point now that I'm actually pondering a new fairway wood with a flatter leading lower edge.

That's a bummer. Don't have too much of that here. Give the Cobra stuff a try. Hit those at GS. I didn't like them as much as the F3, but they're almost impossible to not hit relatively straight. Very easy to hit.

Tried to find a Mashie Hybid to supplant my 5I today. Just wasn't able to put a good swing on any of them. Took my F7 for giggles and I was striping it. It's silly, but I kinda wish there was an F9...

That's a bummer. Don't have too much of that here. Give the Cobra stuff a try. Hit those at GS. I didn't like them as much as the F3, but they're almost impossible to not hit relatively straight. Very easy to hit.

I'd definitely like to hit the Amp and RBZ 3-woods and see how they peform on the course.

I'd definitely like to hit the Amp and RBZ 3-woods and see how they peform on the course.

RBZ is beastly as well. A little tricky to get in the air quickly though. Head to head with the F3, it was only slightly longer. Stuck with the F3 as I had more control.

got the f7 out for first time today, had a par 3 212 to back pin location. hit 2 balls, first high and right at pin, actuslly airmailed green and went ob. 2nd was more right but deep too.

off the deck, not so successful, was hooking them left and thin quite a bit. might have to mess with ball placement off deck..thoughts?

I played it just a bit back compared to the F3, Mike. Closer to hybrid range.

got the f7 out for first time today, had a par 3 212 to back pin location. hit 2 balls, first high and right at pin, actuslly airmailed green and went ob. 2nd was more right but deep too.

off the deck, not so successful, was hooking them left and thin quite a bit. might have to mess with ball placement off deck..thoughts?

I'm playing mine about where my shirt pocket would be. From there I'll move it around if I'm going into a green or just hitting a transportation shot.

--
Tapatalk2

I played it just a bit back compared to the F3, Mike. Closer to hybrid range.
dang i had it out in 3 wood spot, guessing that didnt help...i freaking loved it off tee felt solid feeling, compared to my 3w that i sometimes tend to thin

So, I want one of these but trying to decide on loft. Do I go 14* or 15.5*? I will use it probably 50/50 tee & deck.

I was reading through and it appears that most have the 15.5* model and we know that is great off both tee and deck. I read early on about the 14* being a beast off the tee but how about off the deck? Is the safer play to go with the 15.5*?

Obviously there is tons of feedback in here but most just said F3 so I am assuming that is the 15.5* model. I typically have no issues getting the ball in the air and am really looking for a solid 225-230 or so club.

I haven't hit it cookie so I'm speaking on pure speculation but maybe a 14* because even though the lower loft makes it harder to hit off the deck the mashies easy to hit off the deck would offset it and the pros would speak on the tee.

Cookie I have the 14 in the bag. Now clearly I haven't used it on the course in a about 6 weeks, but I will today. I didn't have any issues with it off the deck and I love it off the tee. I'm debating getting an f5 or f7 to fill out the bag. Just not sure if I want that or a J40 2h.

So, I want one of these but trying to decide on loft. Do I go 14* or 15.5*? I will use it probably 50/50 tee & deck.

I was reading through and it appears that most have the 15.5* model and we know that is great off both tee and deck. I read early on about the 14* being a beast off the tee but how about off the deck? Is the safer play to go with the 15.5*?

Obviously there is tons of feedback in here but most just said F3 so I am assuming that is the 15.5* model. I typically have no issues getting the ball in the air and am really looking for a solid 225-230 or so club.
Cookie, I will be able to add some info in a few days. I have a 15.5* 3 wood coming to try out as I LOVED the F5 when we were in Myrtle.

I'm loving my current 3 wood as I always have so it has some big shoes to fill, but I think it could knock my beloved Burner 2.0 out of the bag.

I've been in serious ponder mode for the 15.5 although I'm not a fairway wood kind of guy. I have heard they are easier than most to get off the deck and more consistent.

I'll go a different direction regarding the 14*. Ok so yeah it is long off the tee, but is it really that much longer than a standard 3 wood? And if you're pulling 3 wood off the tee then it most likely isn't because you need to hit it far but instead because you're trying to hit a spot or stay short of trouble. So my question is why is a longer 3 wood needed?

--
Tapatalk2

Cookie, I had the 15.5 degree club in the bag at the MC, and it's not coming out of the bag. The 14 degree club did intrigue me, but I have always struggled with fairway woods off of the deck, so I went with a little bit more loft. Your swing is a bit steeper than mine, so you may be able to play the 14 better than I would.

Cookie, I adore my 14*. Now, I'm 80/20 tee to deck with it, but I can and do hit it off the deck if need be with no issue. Lethal freaking club for me.

Generally speaking, for a 3+ wood you would want to have a swing speed of 100 mph with the 3-wood in order to get enough spin/height to get maximum distance. Unless of course you play in very windy conditions or with hard fairways and are looking to keep the ball low and expect run out.

Do you want the 230 yards via all/most carry or with run out? If with carry, I would think the 15* would be the right club.

I'll go a different direction regarding the 14*. Ok so yeah it is long off the tee, but is it really that much longer than a standard 3 wood? And if you're pulling 3 wood off the tee then it most likely isn't because you need to hit it far but instead because you're trying to hit a spot or stay short of trouble. So my question is why is a longer 3 wood needed?

--
Tapatalk2

For me its about 10 yards longer than "traditionally" lofted 3W off the tee. Why? Because the club itself in any loft is stupid easy off the tee to hit lasers down the fairway and for me that made the lower loft a no brainer since it is predominantly a tee club for me anyways. If they are both going to be in the short stuff and my intentions are for it to be a tee club mostly, it was the common sense decision for me to go with the lower loft.

Thanks for all the quick and great feedback guys!!

SW: you are right, not looking for a super long 3w, just something to fill that 225-235 gap. Off the tee would be for shorter par 4's or laying up to hazards, all that good stuff.

Ddelise: I do play in windy conditions in TX but I must have a club I can elevate to carry onto greens on par 5's. Run out is good generally speaking but just too unpredictable and obviously no good if there are hazards short of the greens, etc.

Sounds like the 15.5 is the safer model based on my needs, I am slowly starting to appreciate the higher flight and while my older 3w was good it was too low of a ball flight for approaches but a beast off the tee.

For me its about 10 yards longer than "traditionally" lofted 3W off the tee. Why? Because the club itself in any loft is stupid easy off the tee to hit lasers down the fairway and for me that made the lower loft a no brainer since it is predominantly a tee club for me anyways. If they are both going to be in the short stuff and my intentions are for it to be a tee club mostly, it was the common sense decision for me to go with the lower loft.

That makes a little sense but it brings this question mind, and it is a question I had to ask myself. Are you ok with having 2 of your clubs relegated to off the tee only? Example in my case is the Black 3 wood, initially I thought it would be tee only but I soon realized how effective it is off the deck or when the ball sits up in the rough. Even still I don't go for many par 5's in 2 but I do use it quite a bit when the window opens.

--
Tapatalk2

That makes a little sense but it brings this question mind, and it is a question I had to ask myself. Are you ok with having 2 of your clubs relegated to off the tee only? Example in my case is the Black 3 wood, initially I thought it would be tee only but I soon realized how effective it is off the deck or when the ball sits up in the rough. Even still I don't go for many par 5's in 2 but I do use it quite a bit when the window opens.

--
Tapatalk2

I'm weird I guess in that I am absolutely ok with it personally, in fact, its why I went with the 3+ instead of the 3 in the first place. My thing is I've come a long way with thinking my way around a golf course this past year and I know my limits, if a par 5 is more than 235-230 out, I'm not even thinking about going in two as it simply isn't worth it unless there is no danger between me and the hole. Its actually why I put the shaft I did in my 14* after talking to ST, I'm not looking to hold greens with it, I want it for laser tee shots and laser punch shots.

Everyone has different needs though, ya know?

I hear ya. I just like hearing why people play what they play.

--
Tapatalk2

Interesting Jman, for me I need to be able to hit my 3 wood off the deck. Its the only reason the Razr FIT 3 wood isn't in my bag any more. I murdered that thing off the tee, I just couldn't hit it off the deck. My Burner 2.0 3 wood can do both, and I'm really hoping that the Mashie 3 wood is the same but easier to hit and longer.

Back