First hole of 2013; How did you do?

Finally got my first round in yesterday. Played Poppy Hills in Monterey where the first hole is 400+ yards and is the #1 handicap hole. Put my drive well left through the woods, punched laterally, placed an 8i on and two putted for my bogey.

Second hole of 2013 was much nicer with a birdie.

Played it from the tips? I need to get out there for another round before they start the rebuild.

still waiting to play my first hole...dang weather!

still waiting to play my first hole...dang weather!
I with you there brother. I bet you get your first one in before I do. Stupid snow, actually I'm the stupid one for living here.

I was able to get my first round of the year in with my dad at his home course in Columbia. I scored horribly for the day, but I actually birdied the first hole, which was also my first hole of 2013.

Par 5, 529 (Wildewood CC, Columbia, SC). There is a pond at the landing area about 240 off the tee, which forces you to use a long iron off of the tee. I hit a 3i off the tee, laid up with a 7i to 105, and stuck a 54* to five feet. Made the uphill putt for the birdie. Hopefully a sign of good things to come this year, although the rest of the round was pretty awful.

First hole of 2013. It's much cooler than I thought it would be. 46 and quite breezy.
3 metal on short par 4 opening hole, flies 198, rolls six inches. Missed fairway right by 2 or 3 feet. 9 iron to green, pretty good shot to middle of green. Birdie put burns hole on right side, easy tap in for par. Here's hoping that is a sign of things to come for the year.

Start 2013 the same as I ended 2012. Bogey.

Par 4, Perfect tee shot, thinned wedge, chip and 2 putt.

Whoever started this thread is an idiot.

Called one course; closed. Called another; open! Started with a par on a short par 4; 4i, wedge, 2 putt. The last hole was a chip in birdie; 3w to 90 yards, then a pulled wedge to the left. Not having to putt on the last hole made me grin during the drive back home.

Start 2013 the same as I ended 2012. Bogey.

Par 4, Perfect tee shot, thinned wedge, chip and 2 putt.

Whoever started this thread is an idiot.

That's funny right there.

Just read your first hole report Rusty, hate to hear you dinged your 5 iron that is the worse feeling when the irons are new. The granddad and kids are distracting for sure but the ding is what puts the true damper on it for me.

Well after taking 5 weeks off, got out for the 1st time this year. It was 32* @ tee off time. First hole is a 421 yrd par 4. I had a pretty nice drive down the right side, it left me a side hill @ 165 or so yards. I hit a 6 iron a lil heavy and landed in a front right greenside bunker. My bunker shot landed 12 ft. short & I 2 putted for a bogey. My whole round ended up bogey golf for a 90.

Sent from my DROID X2

Double bogey on a long par 5. Made it to the short grass with a look at par but missed it twice.

played my first round yesterday as well; played the Wildcat Course at Ft. Jackson (Columbia, SC) with my buddy for his birthday. our tee time was at 11:57, but there was a frost delay, so the first group didn't go off until 10... we got to go out earlier and got paired up with two older guys, which turned out to be fine as the day went on - but I usually like to hit a small bucket to warm up and get loose, but we didn't have time

No warm up, teeing off on #1 (Par 5) with about 15 people behind you, playing with two people you didn't know - yeah, I was a little nervous to hit my tee shot; my buddy blocked his drive right big time; my turn: teed it up, took a practice swing, picked out my target, and just told myself 'slow and steady, and trust your swing' - boom, 265 yard drive down the middle, slight draw; missed a birdie putt but first hole of the year was a par, and I beat my golf buddy that day (came back from 3 strokes behind on the back 9) - solid start to my 2013 season!

played my first round yesterday as well; played the Wildcat Course at Ft. Jackson (Columbia, SC) with my buddy for his birthday. our tee time was at 11:57, but there was a frost delay, so the first group didn't go off until 10... we got to go out earlier and got paired up with two older guys, which turned out to be fine as the day went on - but I usually like to hit a small bucket to warm up and get loose, but we didn't have time

No warm up, teeing off on #1 (Par 5) with about 15 people behind you, playing with two people you didn't know - yeah, I was a little nervous to hit my tee shot; my buddy blocked his drive right big time; my turn: teed it up, took a practice swing, picked out my target, and just told myself 'slow and steady, and trust your swing' - boom, 265 yard drive down the middle, slight draw; missed a birdie putt but first hole of the year was a par, and I beat my golf buddy that day (came back from 3 strokes behind on the back 9) - solid start to my 2013 season!

Nice first hole & round.

I bogeyed #18 on my former home course on 12/23. I should be playing at my new home course on Sunday. We'll see how it goes. :act-up:

ha...quoting myself. I ended 2012 with a bogey and started 2013 with a double-bogey. :bad:

good drive, pushed my 2nd shot into a greenside bunker...2 chops to get out, and a 2-putt to hole out. yuk.

but it's on a new course. that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I started '13 with a par on a short par 5.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Par! Hever Castle Golf Club, par 4, 380 yards. Pulled drive slightly, played awesome low punch draw round a tree with 6 iron to centre of green, two putts. Happy days.

Spent the next 17 holes wondering what it'll be like playing with my new custom fit irons when they finally arrive!!

Last edited:
Par! goddamit!

There was a thread like this to start off last year, so I thought I would continue it. For those that got to tee it up today, how was your first hole? How did you start the year? FIR? GIR? Birdie? Par? Worse?

My first hole last year was a bogey, last hole this year was a bogey. Hoping I can improve on that this year.

Par 4 at Nate's hometrack

Drive it up left center. Hit slightly on the heel. But, in the FW.
Blade a 51* over the green.
Chip one coooozzzzyyyy from a very delicate spot, shortsided, downslope.
Miss the 4 footer
Bogey.

Just read your first hole report Rusty, hate to hear you dinged your 5 iron that is the worse feeling when the irons are new. The granddad and kids are distracting for sure but the ding is what puts the true damper on it for me.

I really had no issues with the kids, I just didn't think it was wise to let them be on the actual course property while someone was playing the hole. I do let little things like that distract me too much, and that's my fault not theirs.

Miss the 4 footer
Bogey.

That was one great chip though! Don't go long on that course. Ouch.....

Miss the 4 footer
Bogey.
A 4 footer...I would have given it to you.

Played it from the tips? I need to get out there for another round before they start the rebuild.

Just double checked, played from the blues at 398, oops! I really enjoy that course, it just really needs the renovation! The course is a soggy mess and the greens are in pretty sad shape.

Well honesty time. My first hole of 2012 was an 8 on a par 4 haha. My whole round was pretty sad tho

Finished 2012 with a birdie and overall 2nd in the last week of the winter league. Started this year with a bogey. Driver up the middle, easy 6i to the front of the green and then 3 putted from 25 feet. Putting didn't improve all day so the FGP goes back in the bag for Friday's round! Anyone want to buy a Nike Method 4, cause it's the putter and not the guy using it!!

Last edited:
Back