First hole of 2013; How did you do?

Reading this thread is killing me! I don't get to play my first round of 2013 until Friday. The biggest issue is that the course I'm playing in Monterey has their first hole as the #1 handicap hole. Narrow, bunkered, tree-lined treachery!

#1 is a par 4 with water off the left side of the green and bunkers right.
Good drive (down wind) 84 to the flag, 60* fat, 20 feet short, 2 putts, PAR.

After reading everyone tearing up their first hole of the year, I am going to put far too much pressure on myself this Sunday. great.

384yrd par 4 at Heron Bay. Smoked a 268yrd drive down the left side. Left me a GW to the green. Hit the approach a bit towards the heel and landed on the back right fringe. 2 putted for par.

Tapping away on my S3

1st hole for me this year, used a brand new club off the tee that I had only hit 10 times before buying!! A Taylor Made RBZ 3H.
Found left edge of fairway, decent enough length. Found green with PW 2nd shot. 3 putted!!! So a bogey.

500 yard par 5.

Drive in FW to 260 out.
4h to 100.
PW over green.
Chip to 2 ft.
Made par putt.

First hole is a 510 yard par 5, driver, 5 iron lay up to hit a PW over the water. Missed the 18 footer for birdie then a tap in for par. Nice start to the new year.

500 yard par 5.

Drive in FW to 260 out.
4h to 100.
PW over green.
Chip to 2 ft.
Made par putt.

Nice Mikey! Good work!

First Hole. on a 423 Par 4. Hit 3 wood off the tee. Had 175 downhill and pulled an 8 iron. Hit a perfect flop shot to 2 feet and taped in for Par.

I played yesterday for the first time this year. Thanks to the Scor 60 degree wedge I'm testing for THP, I made a par. Used the Scor to chip from 25 feet off the green to 4 inches from the pin. My subsequent putt tracked center of the hole all the way for par!

First hole was a par 5. Great drive down the middle. Left 190 to the flag, thinned a five iron that skipped on the water 3 times before landing on the land. Pitched up to green 2 putt for par. Good times.

hahaa going to be waiting for about 3 months for this...

Headed to mesquite Tuesday for falcon ridge and conestoga Wednesday. Can't wait!

Played in a two person best ball tournament with a buddy of mine on New Years day. As a team we only finished at par - Net.
Thanks to our starting draw, my first hole for the tournament, and of 2013, was #13 - a 180 yard par 3. We each scored a par - carded a 2 thanks to the handicap.

We played to each other pretty well, covering each others blow up holes, but then we both got on a bogie run. Matched each other for about 11 holes in a row putting a bogie on the card, modified to a par after handicaps. An 8 under 64 won on our flight. That's also the number of $1 Bloody Marys I drank that morning!

Happy New Year.

Par, but would have been a birdie had the green not been frozen solid. My 9 iron bounced 2 feet from the pin and took off like it hit a cart path. Chip and a putt.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

So I played my first round today. Made a par on the first hole. Par 4 374, Driver, PW, 2 putt.

Missed my tee shot but it was in the fairway; five iron leaked pin high in the right hand bunker; blast to six feet below the hole and made the putt for a par.

Unfortunately, this was the highlight of my round today.

Missed my tee shot but it was in the fairway; five iron leaked pin high in the right hand bunker; blast to six feet below the hole and made the putt for a par.

Unfortunately, this was the highlight of my round today.

Love sand saves! Make you feel "Pro"! Lol

Tapping away on my S3

My first hole was on the second and it was 28 degrees. I got a par.

I played my first hole of 2013 yesterday and knocked in a 30 footer from the fringe for a birdie!

Of course I made double-bogey on the next hole when my second shot ricocheted off a tree and went OB.

Finally got my first round in yesterday. Played Poppy Hills in Monterey where the first hole is 400+ yards and is the #1 handicap hole. Put my drive well left through the woods, punched laterally, placed an 8i on and two putted for my bogey.

Second hole of 2013 was much nicer with a birdie.

First hole of 2013 was on the second. Went +2 on a Par 5. Officially retired the old sticks that day, so last round until spring it appears.

Wow, what a disaster.

It warmed up a little around here this afternoon, so I skipped out for a solo round. I have been working on my swing a lot in December, and this was my first time out to see how the changes were working. Unfortunately, I couldn't get out to the course until about 2:00, so there was no chance to warm up if I was going to finish 18 before dark.

First hole is a narrow 490 yard par 5. Big bunker on the left about 215 out. The tiny green is hard to reach in two because of two large bunkers blocking the entrance - you cannot run the ball up. I always hit driver, even though I know I won't be going for the green. I just aim a little right and let my natural draw do its thing.

On the tee box, I see a man over on the right side of the hole kind of meandering around. The course is lined with houses, so I figure he lives there, but he is on the course, and seems to just be walking back and forth. After a little more staring, I see that he has two little kids with him, also on the course. My depth perception is off, but they look to be about 25 yards or more beyond where my drive usually winds up -- and they are just to the right of my target line. I really don't feel like hitting towards two little kids. I wait and wait. I waive; they waive back. I figure the whole thing has gotten ridiculous and I better just hit, since it is highly unlikely my drive will come anywhere near them. I pull my drive into the fairway bunker.

I wanted to hit a breakfast ball, but decided against it given the gallery I had. I found my ball in the bunker up near the left lip. I have to stand on the lip to hit, and the ball is at least 6 inches below my feet. I should just wedge the ball out of there, but I don't feel like swapping clubs, so I swing 6 iron and shank the ball right over towards my gallery, missing them by about 10 yards.

Now my ball is in the trees, but at least I get to see the audience up close. Two little girls and a man who is probably their grandfather. He says hello, and I try to be friendly, but I really want to tell him to take the kids back into his yard at least until the hole is clear. My ball is laying on a few rocks, and I really, really want to take a drop, but I just can't bring myself to do it in front of these strangers. So I hit 5 iron, and now I have a nice rock ding on the sole of my new(ish) 588 CB 5 iron. I don't hit a very good shot, but the man says "Wow" for the benefit of the girls, and the girls give me a nice golf clap.

I'm still 130 from the pin. 9 iron is a little fat, and lands in the very front of the bunker guarding the green. Should be an easy out, but I hit some of the ball and it flies the green. My chip coming back barely catches the green, and I two-putt for the Snowman.

Triple bogey, and scarred 5 iron, and my blood pressure is up because of the guy on the course. It could be a tough year.

(I stunk up the front nine, but rallied with 3 birdies on the back 9 and shot +8 for the day).

Back