Stevo67Golf

Reaction score
Handicap
Every spring the pollen hits me hard while I'm golfing. I get a serious case of the sniffles and I've tried several allergy meds and so far only Benadryl works for me with the downside of getting a bit drowsy if I don't eat something before a round. What do you take or do to combat this?

I have allergies year round but the spring time is the worst!! I take an over-the-counter allergy medication (Zyrtec or Claritin work for me)!

My wife is allergic to tree pollen, and hers eyes itch to the point of insanity. She takes Zyrtec and has steroid drops she uses. They only help a little and she struggles through to about the end of May then it goes away. We have to keep our house closed up in the Spring which I hate because I'm always hot. Her allergies are very hard on me.

Kevin

I take my allergy pill daily and it helps for 23 hours on and off the golf course. Any over the counter 24 hour relief allergy med should do the trick

I used to take over the counter pills but they weren't strong enough for me. Now I take Clarinex. Its the same compound as claritin but in its active form which makes it get into my system faster and is a bit more potent (also 15mg vs std 10mg claritin). I was miserable before this pill. Go to the doc and give it a try.

I switch between several over the counter meds mentioned above and have for years, I still had trouble until I started taking daily, to the most part problem solved.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

For spring and early fall, allergies for me are at their worst. I take a Claritin-D in the morning, and generic allergy pill at night (lotradine I think). That typically does it for me while golfing. In the summer, I just take one generic allergy pill every morning.

When I get home, for whatever reason, that's when I start getting the sniffles.

The steroid based nose sprays (I'm quite sure they are by prescription only) are awesome, but I haven't used them in over 15 years. I used to get allergy shots (20 years ago), and that also does a world of good. You wouldn't need shots unless allergies knock you down to the point of being unable to function.

might also be an idea to keep some of these things in your bag. i keep a handy little bag with few bits in it like headache tablets, heartburn tablets, small first aid kit. so if you find something that works keep plenty in your bag. i use claritin if it helps

Claritin does not work for me very well. Although it is the same ingredient, the dissolve in your mouth Allavert works the best for me. Plus, it tastes like candy.

An extra dose of cigarettes or a cigar usually does the trick for me! (And I am not kidding)

The steroid based nose sprays (I'm quite sure they are by prescription only) are awesome, but I haven't used them in over 15 years. I used to get allergy shots (20 years ago), and that also does a world of good. You wouldn't need shots unless allergies knock you down to the point of being unable to function.

Rhinocort is awesome. I second the nasal sprays. You do two squirts the first time, one puff a day the rest and it's AMAZING. I'd highly recommend it. I also think it's only available via prescriptions.

Zyrtec seems to be the best for me, I am almost through with my second bout of the spring, I hope that's it.

I have awful allergies year round that I take Allegra for. The difference is that they are so bad in the spring and summer that I take 180mg. That is 6 times the normal dosage! You can get 30mg Allegra over the counter now too, and it is non-drowsy.

Zyrtec, but there is a trick to it.

Take it at night, before bed. It hits its peak efficacy around 12 hours later, with no drowsiness. Also, take it EVERY night. It really helps if you get it into your system.

For OTC, I use Alavert. Not a cure at all but it takes the edge off. Combined with a perscription nasal spray (P.A.R., it's generic, no idea what the real company is), I feel great most times.

I had an allergy attack the other day on the course and it hurt my eyes so bad! I don't know what got in them but I was almost blinded in pain for a couple holes. Luckily a friend had some drops with her and I managed to get over it fairly quickly. I don't normally have a day-to-day allergy problem but there is a tree or something on #10 that has stung me a couple times now.

Every spring the pollen hits me hard while I'm golfing. I get a serious case of the sniffles and I've tried several allergy meds and so far only Benadryl works for me with the downside of getting a bit drowsy if I don't eat something before a round. What do you take or do to combat this?

Walmart brand of Benadryl works for me. I have bad allergies and that's what works for me.

Wow, I was going to start a thread about this very topic tonight. I just got off of the course and had a terrible allergies from the pollen all afternoon. My eyes were watering, nose running, and sneezing constantly. I used to take claritin until it stopped working for me and am about to run to CVS to buy something for it. I will give one/several of the recommendations a try and if it doesn't work I am going to get something prescribed. I don't think I can deal with anymore episodes on the course like I did tonight.

Zyrtec, but there is a trick to it.

Take it at night, before bed. It hits its peak efficacy around 12 hours later, with no drowsiness. Also, take it EVERY night. It really helps if you get it into your system.

I take it at night also JR, seems to be the best way for me too.

I take it at night also JR, seems to be the best way for me too.

Prevents the drowsiness that comes along with the first week of doses as well. When it starts to not work, I wait a couple of days before the next dose. I have no idea why this helps me, but it does.

I have pretty severe allergies in the fall. I have a little over kill of antihistamines but come fall I use singulair and zyrtec daily and benadryl as needed.

I use some generic version of Claritin. I just get whichever one is on sale. It works well for me if I take it daily, like the package says. Unfortunately I forget.

I have to start taking the pills here in Florida in February and thru the summer.

Zyrtec and Ibuprofen.

People with allergies

People with allergies

How do you cope? have you tried any of the long term treatment methods and did they work?

I typically just have a script for omnaris but dont use it daily. My daughter has them as bad as her mother and i and seems to be constantly congested.

I take a couple Benadryl pills when allergies hit.

Back