Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Great job TBT, congrats on breaking 80 buddy thats awesome! You are putting in a ton of work and its paying off, congrats buddy.

Thanks bud, I appreciate that....as my grandpa used to say "even a blind squirrel finds a nut ever now and then"

Had a great day today!! Who says Friday the 13th is bad? Had an hour on the range and an hour on practice green split between chipping and putting...then hit the course.... Was playing pretty good not really paying attention...made the turn and added my score abd had a 41....I thought...pretty good....hit the 10th tee and kept going not really paying attention to my score...finished my round and looked at my score and I shot my best 9 ever for a 38!!!

Then it took me a minute to realize that 41 and 38 is the MAGIC 79!! Holly crap I broke 80!!! :banana:

I'll probably shot 100 tomorrow...but by god I finally broke 80!

TBT you are gonna be like that hungry old fox in the chicken pen! You got a taste of that chicken and now you are going to want some more :hungry:. I am proud of ya Tim and go out there and hammer a few more rounds in the 70's :clapp:

NICE Job on breaking 80 TBT!!! I'm going to go down and work on my putting with Betti on the Birdie ball. Snow is here so it's all I can do to practice at the moment.

Went down and worked on my putting stroke for an hour and a half. Didn't focus on making putts just on my stroke itself. I repeated the same stroke over and over. Making sure I take a SBST approach without my normal little wiggle at the beginning. I realized that if I don't place the putter completely on the surface of the green then I don't wiggle a little on the way back. So, I spent all my time focusing on the "STROKE"! Then I did a quick light weight stamina building work out. Lots of reps little weight.

Had a great day today!! Who says Friday the 13th is bad? Had an hour on the range and an hour on practice green split between chipping and putting...then hit the course.... Was playing pretty good not really paying attention...made the turn and added my score abd had a 41....I thought...pretty good....hit the 10th tee and kept going not really paying attention to my score...finished my round and looked at my score and I shot my best 9 ever for a 38!!!

Then it took me a minute to realize that 41 and 38 is the MAGIC 79!! Holly crap I broke 80!!! :banana:

TIM! I just saw this, that's an awesome achievement! Your game has already improved a lot since you got picked for the Morgan Cup, I can't wait to see how well you're going to play in July!

Great news Tim, I'm glad all your hard work is paying off for you. Keep up the good work

TIM! I just saw this, that's an awesome achievement! Your game has already improved a lot since you got picked for the Morgan Cup, I can't wait to see how well you're going to play in July!

Great news Tim, I'm glad all your hard work is paying off for you. Keep up the good work

Thanks guys, I can honestly say that I have never worked as hard on my game in my life as I have over the last month or so and where it is really paying off is my short game....my last 2 rounds I had 26 and 30 putts respectively.....now keep in mind my GIR percentage is still only about 28% (my next project).....but I have been what I call GIR adjacent...LOL....to me that is when I am within 10 yards of the green in regulation.....where my scores have really fallen over the past several rounds is in this area....I have been chipping the ball stone dead about half the time! my chips are leaving the ball within 3-5 feet probably 75% of the time leaving me easy one putts for par....instead of chunking a chip and then 3 putting for double....that's what is shaving shots off my rounds!

I am also at the course 3-4 times a week and chipping in the yard almost every day....I used to be one of those show up and play guys that never practiced and I shot somewhere between 90 and 105 on average...then I joined this site and started practicing once or twice a week and my scores started averaging from 85 to 95 most of the time....since being selected to the MC, I have been practicing 3-5 times a week and my scores have been between 79 and 90....I am still not burning up the birdies (only had 1 yesterday)...but what I am doing is eliminating the triples and making more pars.

Hope everybody has a good day.....headed to the course in about an hour and a half....got a 10am tee time...gonna spend about an hour and 15 minutes on the range before the round.

Congrats tbt! that's awesome.

Not that I'm surprised at all, but I'm glad everyone is working hard for the MC. Keep up the good work everyone.

Tap Tap Tap

Nice job on breaking 80 Tim! Congrats!

Congrats on breaking 80 Tim!
All your hard work is paying off.

Just caught this TBT, well done man, congrats on the pb!!

Well what's the saying...yesterday's hero is today's zero!! LOL 79 yesterday....89 today...LOL....had 37 putts today vs 30 yesterday and I snap hooked 2 balls into the water on 2 different holes (I never hook the ball...hell I hardly draw the ball!!).....and hit a tee shot OOB....there you go...10 strokes difference.....Now you see why I am a 15-17 Handicap!

Came home had a sandwich and headed back out in about 30 minutes for some range work.

Well what's the saying...yesterday's hero is today's zero!! LOL 79 yesterday....89 today...LOL....had 37 putts today vs 30 yesterday and I snap hooked 2 balls into the water on 2 different holes (I never hook the ball...hell I hardly draw the ball!!).....and hit a tee shot OOB....there you go...10 strokes difference.....Now you see why I am a 15-17 Handicap!

Came home had a sandwich and headed back out in about 30 minutes for some range work.

Nice to see you keeping at it TBT! That extra work will definitely pay off.

A bunch of putting today on my little murph. I put some break in it today and worked on speed and line. Couldn't be happier with my putting after the fitting at Studio B. Having my putter adjusted properly lets me think about the line and speed of the putt and block everything else out. I also grabed a wedge and did some drills to work on contact. I am trying Mickelson's hinge and hold approach as I start my short game work.

Funny Tad, that Bullfrog is a strange one.

Today my Morgan Cup prep consisted of joining a gym. I've been looking a different gyms for a while now, and finally we joined this Rec center as a family. Great Gym, big pool, basketball courts, squash courts and tennis. Best part is it opens at 6am so I can work out every day before work, and then as a family we can go swimming at any time and its only 5 minutes from my house. I'm going to be a lean mean golfing machine at the MC in July.

Maybe I think all of you are strange as well! When you meet me you will see that I'm :cool:! It's funny how fat that bullfrog is! Surprised that a bass hasn't snatched him up yet. That's okay. I'm working on my game as well. So we will see what happens come July!

I see sensitivity training is also part of MC prep! :D we love you BF!!

time to work on my putting stroke. I will let you guys jab at me later. Think of some good one's, please!!

As you said yesterday TBT, now you know it is in there so you will be able to do it some more. Reading through this it sounds like you were really not too far from being in the 70's again. Keep up the good work buddy you are heading to a single digit handicap this year.

Edit - Just saw Smallies post below, my bad, I will stay out of the thread.

Don't forget that this thread is for prep talk only.

The Preparation Thread – This is where we can discuss preparations for the Morgan Cup. Talk about your game, what you are working on, what you need help with, etc…This is NOT a place to dismiss others’ games and certainly not the “what did you shoot today thread”. It’s a place to discuss actual preparations. If you want to mention you shot 79, please use the regular What did you shoot today thread, not this one. If you want to talk about your preparations, this is the right place.

Talked to the pro at my new course today, I have heard nothing but AWESOME things about him, and I was talking to him about my game and the MC and where I want my game to be come July. He gave me a couple pointers to focus on through the winter as I go to the indoor or heated range, or also if we have any more of the mild days so I can get a round in here and there. Anyhow...once the weather starts breaking in the spring I am going to get some lessons from him to fine-tune my game. I'm pretty excited for that after seeing how dramatically he has changed some other people's games that have gotten lessons from him.

Other than working on the golf game I am hitting the gym hard. I am changing my workout schedule though because it does the body good to shock the body and change the schedule occassionally (just a quick tip there for you guys getting into working out). I am alternating endurance training weeks with strength training weeks, which is also a good way to shock you body and keep it from getting used to a single workout.

went down and worked on my putting stroke again tonight. Focused on my take away and follow thru for about a half hour then went on to 4' putts again for another hour. After that I did another workout to build up my strength. Need to get about 10 more yrds off the tee before spring gets here then really start working on my game.

Spent a couple hours hitting balls and working on drills yesterday. I'm excited to see where things are in another two months. Driver swing is coming to life.

Lots of work today....hit 3 large buckets of balls.....first bucket all hybrids, second bucket driver and 3W and last bucket 7iron and under with an emphasis on wedges......moved to the practice green and worked on chipping and short pitches, the about an hour on putting.

Lots of work today....hit 3 large buckets of balls.....first bucket all hybrids, second bucket driver and 3W and last bucket 7iron and under with an emphasis on wedges......moved to the practice green and worked on chipping and short pitches, the about an hour on putting.

Thats a nice workload right there. No wonder you broke 80 the other day. Keep it up man.

Back