Open Championship Predictions

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great stuff folks, I enjoy seeing what others are thinking, but I agree with GG when she said “all the stats and logic in the world still can’t predict who will win.”

I always enjoy reading what my fellow staffers have to say in these, good picks everyone! I like how Sergio is picked as a winner and a dark horse in the same article. I think he'll do well this week myself actually.

Great read, like the pics that Smalls and JB put up. Interesting comments about PM, it will be interesting to see how he finishes this week

Tapatalk'n from my iPad

Great predictions fellow staffers! Surprised to see that JB and I picked Chucky 3 sticks to be our darkhorse...not sure if that's good for him of the kiss of death.

All kidding aside, those are some excellent picks. What stood out for me was the the picks are leaning toward the Euro's...that's not a surprise, that's just what stood out.

Good picks but disappointed no one pick Luke to win. I think it's his best chance ever.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Good read guys and gal......I think Charles Howell III is a great dark horse pick, he has always been a great bake striker, it's the putter that he has struggled with and he seems to have found something with this new one.

Phil does struggle on the other side of the pond, but if the weather is good as predicted and the reports of the rough being less than penalizing that gives Lefty a chance to bomb it and use his recovery skills...I give Phil a 65% chance of breaking the top 10.

Great predictions fellow staffers! Surprised to see that JB and I picked Chucky 3 sticks to be our darkhorse...not sure if that's good for him of the kiss of death.

I was shocked to see you both picked him too. Now I am even more interested to see how he performs this week. I also think it's funny that JB is the only one of us who has faith in Phil this week. I didn't enjoy watching this tournament last year so I hope that changes this year. I better get some work done today because I know come tomorrow morning I won't be doing anything but watching golf.

Great dialogue all; thanks for sharing! Will be an outstanding 4 days of golf no doubt....and sorry but Sergio ALWAYS chokes.

I was shocked to see you both picked him too. Now I am even more interested to see how he performs this week. I also think it's funny that JB is the only one of us who has faith in Phil this week. I didn't enjoy watching this tournament last year so I hope that changes this year. I better get some work done today because I know come tomorrow morning I won't be doing anything but watching golf.

Maybe not faith as much as watching the weather. If it stays like it is now, his short game will shine and his errant tee shots that kill him in some places won't be as penalizing. If the weather turns, it could get ugly for him.

Enjoyed the interesting picks. Good luck Staffers..

Great job guys, always fun to hear the reasoning and then see it unfold. Come on Stricker and 3 sticks!

Maybe not faith as much as watching the weather. If it stays like it is now, his short game will shine and his errant tee shots that kill him in some places won't be as penalizing. If the weather turns, it could get ugly for him.

I checked the weather too. It's not the weather I am worried about, it's his putter. If he can't get that going then I think he is in serious trouble. Even with good weather and a sharp wedge game, if he can't hit a tee shot or sink a putt then I think he has no chance of finishing in the top 15.

exactly why I didn't go with Phil...the weather can turn in 10 mins and then stay that way for a bit

Great picks you guys. Glad a few of you agree with me about Westwood. I am very interested to see how Phil will fare, although I am with the majority in saying he probably wont do very well

I am amazed that TC is on record saying that Westy will never win a major. And how funny is it that he just jumps all over Rory the first chance he gets after the U.S. Open? He won't win this thing, are you kidding me? He'll go in with his head all big and fat and struggle mightily, then before the PGA he'll say, geee whiz, I sure got a big head after the U.S. Open and I have to realize it's just not going to be that easy every time. TC, back your boy Westy....c'mon now!

Why no love for Schwartzel? The guy has had a pretty solid year and seem's to shine in spotlights like this. I actually have him as my darkhorse for the contest.

This golf course is tricky and quirky enough that I think iron play will be the most critical. I agree with ch3 but I think LukeyD will go back to back.

I am hoping to see Sergio do well and be in the running for the final round. If thats not the case I would like to see one of the young americans be in the top 3 fighting till the end, however on this course I dont think that will happen

Oooh, I had Stenson on my very short list for the contest, GG. I'll take him off now. :)

Judging by the weather at the moment, its looking like it's gonna play difficult! I'm seeing about 1 or 2 Americans in the top 30, and not big names either. No idea who but all the US stars are probably gonna struggle.
Apparently rory shot 61 on a links course in Ireland last week so I definitely think he'll do well and as it's looking like a windy week, the other great ballstrikers such as sergio will rise to the top!
Cabrera definitely a dark horse, he played well last week and when his putter is hot he plays well for a few weeks in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked the article and reasoning. Great read guys! I'm cheering for GG though I agree most with Todd's take.

Good Read. A think Luke Donald has a very good shot too.

Back