Compared to everything else on the market it is drastically louder though.

I agree whole heartedly with this. If someone was coming from the TS/TSi models, the Callaway Mavrik, etc I think it would sound awful. I never thought of it this way, as I kept comparing it to other Ping drivers in my mind.

@JB, Do you have a 400 MAX available to compare sound with 425 MAX?

We gave it away as a THP Prize.
Its louder than the 400 Max. Its not earth shatteringly louder, but its louder. Or maybe the better description is it is more higher pitched than the 400 Max, volume is similar.

At my course the 2 nines are pretty tightly packed in. You can tell if someone is on your 9 playing a Ping driver 😆

We gave it away as a THP Prize.
Its louder than the 400 Max. Its not earth shatteringly louder, but its louder. Or maybe the better description is it is more higher pitched than the 400 Max, volume is similar.

Thx. I like the sound of my 400 MAX but I've been wrong before. :)

I played the 400 Max for about a year, it’s much louder than that imo.

It's official. I must be losing my hearing🤷😂

Excited for your thoughts @Canadan
Man. I’m probably the last person that should be giving thoughts on what I think about the G425 head sounds based on what I’ve heard in the tech studio this week.

I’ll leave it at this: I would be willing to give up accuracy and some distance to NOT put the max in my bag.

Man. I’m probably the last person that should be giving thoughts on what I think about the G425 head sounds based on what I’ve heard in the tech studio this week.

I’ll leave it at this: I would be willing to give up accuracy and some distance to NOT put the max in my bag.
Send it my way, I'm getting older and that crack makes it seem like its being hit really well. I need to try this one.

My ears are still ringing

This is a totally fair rundown imo.

What kind of numbers were you guys seeing? Did the Max live up to the MOI hype?

MOI is a pretty hard thing to quantify in ball and club data performance. Especially with their being an amount of diminishing returns.
I think the testing showed it has decent performance. Not the fastest we have tested, but pretty good and not the most forgiving we have seen, but pretty darn good there too. Its a solid performer for sure, with a sound that is rather unique to the marketplace.

Send it my way, I'm getting older and that crack makes it seem like its being hit really well. I need to try this one.
I’m not sure I understand why my response merited an eye roll but I guess I expected some to feel that way.

I completely understand that people will feel differently and at different speeds I’m sure that sound will be different for some. I was asked my opinion and I gave an honest answer. If that’s not good enough I’m not sure what else to say.

Yeah i would be curious to see what kind of ball speed and carry @Canadan was getting.

@jdtox was the one testing this driver for the video.
or his. Just curious what kind of numbers the guys were seeing to compare to the other recent releases.

or his. Just curious what kind of numbers the guys were seeing to compare to the other recent releases.

We will have some content coming up on it for sure. To give you a rough preview, spin on Max was around 3000 and LST was around 2400. Speed was fairly typical based on his other tests this week, not really the fastest on best hits or averages, but nothing bad for sure.

Based on testing and club closure all week, a fitting would be STRONGLY recommended for these heads.

Yeah i would be curious to see what kind of ball speed and carry @Canadan was getting.
I was the one testing, numbers weren’t bad but I don’t recall them exactly. I think a fitting is incredibly important. I’ve hit a ton of drivers this week and I was having some trouble squaring up the face with these. Also not a fan of the sound at all.

I am mid 70's with a 75 mph swing speed. Would Alta Distanza 40 g be a good option compared to the CB Alta 55 g? Also the CB Alta is counter balanced does offset the heavier weight? Thanks for your help

Maybe an unfair question at this point, but how would the 425 Max stack up, forgiveness wise, with the XXIO Black (talking drivers here)? I hit the 425 Max last Saturday at our local Golf Galaxy. Didn't have my gamer along because I went there to buy some grips, so nothing to compare numbers with. I will say I was getting pretty nice carry numbers with the Max and the forgiveness seemed really good. The sound certainly was not what I'm used to, as I'm playing the PXG Proto X (and like its sound), but the results I got with the 425 Max got my attention. No place to demo the XXIO around here (a buddy signed up to get a demo driver from them, but was told it would not ship until the end of Feb. so he cancelled the demo order).

Thanks!

I’m not sure I understand why my response merited an eye roll but I guess I expected some to feel that way.

I completely understand that people will feel differently and at different speeds I’m sure that sound will be different for some. I was asked my opinion and I gave an honest answer. If that’s not good enough I’m not sure what else to say.
I just find that to be an odd statement is all. Yes I would give up distance for accuracy but never both just because something sounds bad. Someone who can't get past the sound won't ever buy this driver IMO. Sound is also something that is selective to the user. I played previous G400 Max and it was loud but not bothersome.

I'm digging the feedback in here today. Good, bad, whatever. As long as it's honest.

I'm not a huge sound guy and the G425 Max is high on my radar this year based on my experience with the G400 Max. If it's the best fit so be it. I'll deal with the noise if I can gain some strokes off the tee. Fitting scheduled for 2/1. Time to see if any of the new stuff can unseat my current gamer.

I just find that to be an odd statement is all. Yes I would give up distance for accuracy but never both just because something sounds bad. Someone who can't get past the sound won't ever buy this driver IMO. Sound is also something that is selective to the user. I played previous G400 Max and it was loud but not bothersome.

100% this. sound and feel are absolutely important and opinions are great, but i'd like to hear it for myself whether that's on a review or in-person. and i also very much care about ball speed, spin, launch, dispersion, etc. i remember when thp got the high heat knuth in hand, and even though by all accounts that thing may have been one of the loudest drivers ever, there was a lot of talk about performance. i would like to know a lot more about performance of this line, not just its sound. it sounds like we will see a deep dive of all clubs hit during the showcase sometime soon.

I still don’t get it. I was asked specifically to give my opinion and I gave it. I would not make concessions for small improvements to sound because sound is critical to me.

I didn’t make a blanket statement and I didn’t tell people not to experience it for themselves. Since when has THP devolved into a place where personal perspective on a product is met with eye rolls?

100% this. sound and feel are absolutely important and opinions are great, but i'd like to hear it for myself whether that's on a review or in-person. and i also very much care about ball speed, spin, launch, dispersion, etc. i remember when thp got the high heat knuth in hand, and even though by all accounts that thing may have been one of the loudest drivers ever, there was a lot of talk about performance. i would like to know a lot more about performance of this line, not just its sound. it sounds like we will see a deep dive of all clubs hit during the showcase sometime soon.

That is the driver that the G425 Max was compared to this morning.
Mid spin, pretty forgiving and crazy loud.

Back