SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Saturday, Day #1 with Scor clubs in my golf bag....I was up early, and very enthused about the the day ahead....Which was delayed by a shotgun start @ Noon today due to frost this morning. Once the frost lifted, we had pretty nice course conditions for early February. Early February in the Pacific Northwest means very heavy air, no roll in the fairway, and soft greens. Course conditions at the time of the year are at least one club length longer than summer months. Still, I have a big grin on my face, I'm playing golf on a beautiful day and I have Scor clubs in my bag. I'm playing a Titleist NXT Tour instead of the Srixon Z-Star (we call these Zed-Stars {rhymes with Ted} in Canada, because Z is a Zed not a Zee) due to the course conditions, I'll save the more expensive golf balls for the summer months.

My initial impressions on the range on Thursday were confirmed on the course today. These clubs are longer than my Eidolons, solely due to the shaft. As stated previously, I think the KBS shafts are outstanding. Even in cool conditions, I am longer with the Scor clubs. Today, because of the vast selection of Scor clubs available in my bag, I decide to play the 42* Scor iron today instead of my 43* Mizuno 9 iron) and the 51* Scor instead of my 52* Eidolon gap wedge (even accounting for the 1* difference in loft, which for a golfer of my considerable skill and talent is negligible). Still, I will have to pay attention and "re-gage" my distances. For instance, my 52* gap wedge is my go-to 90 - 100 yard club. Today, on the 3rd hole, I had 115 to the pin, green is a severe back to front slope. Anything above hole can be a "knee knocker". Normally, my 48* PW would be too much, and my 52* gap likely not enough. With the 51* Scor, I wanted to leave myself an uphill putt. Solid strike on the ball, which did a one hop and stopped ~10 feet above the pin. The ball flight was 120 yards, with a boring trajectory and....an excellent ball mark to repair when I arrived at the green! While not exactly what I wanted, it was a good decision. If I had hit the 48*, I would have flown the green. Still...I'm putting for par on the #1 handicap hole at my club. And I made the par putt....Scors now have my full and complete attention.

Two holes later, par 5. I am lying 3 (duffed my 2nd shot), still have 110 yards to pin. Pull the 51, gentle swing, pin high after one hop and stop. I'm a little farther from the flag that I would like, but impressed by the distance control. I just missed the par putt, not unhappy with bogey give my duffed fairway wood for my second shot.

Next hole, par 4. Poor tee shot, lay up with my second shot 'cos I want to hit something around 120 yards. I have 127 yards to an uphill flag. 42* Scor, good strike and nice flight on both the ball and the divot!.....I pulled the shot a little, but still pin high. Very impressed that I hit my "9" iron this distance, my Mizuno 9 iron is 41* loft, so I am 1* softer, and still pin high....Ouch!

Next hole is par 3, complete &*#$&#&$# so I move on....

Next hole is a short par 4, an excellent hole on my course, one of my favourites. My score on this hole is usually par or double bogey, it really is a great risk/reward hole. Position off the tee is critical for 2nd shot to the green, left is better. My tee shot goes down the right side....I have 130 yards for my 2nd shot. I'm so impressed with the 42*, out it comes yet again...Shot is pin high, but pushed (I'm a lefty remember) to the left side bunker. No problem right,,,,,,60* Scor from the bunker leaves me 2 feet for par....Didn't see this coming.

Next hole, also in the sand on the left....and stuffed the 60* to 3 feet, made the putt for a bogey....Didn't see this coming either....2 sand saves in a row, albeit the 2nd one is for bogey.

Next hole, dogleg right par 4. Good tee shot, bad 2nd shot, so I now have 125 yards to pin...42* Scor hit well, but slight miss in the sand on the right side. Oops, I've now short sided myself, as the flag was tucked near the right side bunker. The middle left side of the green was wide open. I love this game!....Not exactly what I had hoped for. In the bunker, I decide to slightly opened the 60* and thump.....2 feet for bogey....That's three good bunker shots in a row....OMG!!! Guys in my group now suggesting that I simply forget aiming for the green and try to hit the ball in the sand on every hole....Funny!!

2 holes later, in the sand on the right side of the green (there is a trend here!). Green is severely elevated above me, and I have about ~25 yards to the flag....54* was in my bag today. I opened the blade slightly, nice thump in the sand (and nice flight by both the ball and the sand BTW!)....I'm 5 feet below the hole (very important on this green!), and made the bogey putt on the hardest hole on the back nine. That's 4 sand "saves" in a row....I'm loving these Scors!!!

The rest of the round was pretty uneventful, except for one final bunker shot on the 19th hole. As mentioned, today was a shotgun start due to frost. After we finished 18, we decided to play a couple of holes as we walked back to the club house. Our 19th hole is the 160 yard par 3. Tee shot finds me in the bunker again, probably 20 yards to the pin....Oy vey!....I pulled the 54* from my bag, which I hit it a little too hard and watched the ball fly over the flag. Oops,,,,,Except the ball landed, hopped, and then spun back at least 5 yards.....I don't ever recall spinning the ball out of the sand like this. Wow!! Time to get out the cheque (this is how we spell cheque in Canada) book. Shawn, I'm feeling the Scor love!!

Summary for Day #1. These clubs did not disappoint in any way. Yes, I mishit a couple of shots, solely due to "operator error". I want and need more time on the short game range. From the sand, to borrow a quote my friends on the OverSpin commercials,,,,What do I call my Scors? "Money". The bunker shots saved my backside. I'm looking forward to Day #2 tomorrow, hopefully no frost delay in the morning.

One final note: My golf bag is getting lots of attention. Perhaps having 22 clubs in it is a reason? Before we played I did reduce this to a more manageable 14. Shawn sent me a 56* for my RH friends to try. While warming up on the range, Craig (5 handicap) hit a couple, and walked over with a grin on his face...."Dave, where do I go to place my order? Can I do it through you?" Shawn, we need to talk!

Last edited:
Outstanding write up Dave - looking forward to reading about round 2!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Awesome writeup, Dave!!!!!

Really nice writeup Dave. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Solid write up Dave !

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Day #2....Super Sunday.

Put the dog outside, it looks like another frost delay. Instead of playing 18, I hope to get to the short game range in the afternoon.

Golf course will be very quiet this afternoon as everyone will be watching XVLI.

More details to follow later today. Stay tuned.

Thanks for sharing Dave. Nice write up and observations.

Great update Dave, sounds like an amazing first day with the scor's in the bag.

Wow nice write-up.

Great writeup Dave!

I am going to spend the next couple of days going through this thread from page 1 to page 106. I have had it with my Vokey wedges and am about to chunk them in the lake. I am curious to see how the SCOR design is differnt from the Vokey design. From what I hear, there is a bounce difference which may help me.

I had a chance to take my 54* and 58* SCOR wedges out again to the course this past weekend. I had previously posted a review, and one of my comments was that I kept leaving full shots a little out to the right. Well, after some practice and a grip change, I can say that problem is no longer an issue (it was pure user error).

Anyway, I am gaining more and more confidence with these every time I play with them. I have settled into a very consistent distance expectation - 85 yards with the 58*, and 105 yards with the 54*.

I am really loving the partial shots - say 40 yard wedges with the 58*. I feel I can control the trajectory and overall distance very easily. This has really helped my game. I will be getting a 50* at some point in the near future to replace my R9 AW.

Can Scor wedges with the V sole make fat shots less fat ?

I think with any wedge if you quite on your swing then a fat shot seems worse. If you follow through you will find your fat shots are less harsh. I do think the vsole can knock down the amounts of fat shots. But no, its not a cure all

Great write up Dave! I am sitting here reading this and wondering why these arent in my bag. No good answer.

Great write up Dave! I am sitting here reading this and wondering why these arent in my bag. No good answer.
Thinking the same thing.......any THP discount on these clubs? :call-me:

I am no the temporary owner of a 52* and 57* degree as Cookie and I traded wedges yesterday. I started really pondering these at the PGA Show when I saw how good looking they were. The chrome finish is not glaring, the weight is a bit heavier than my J40s and the heads are smaller.
The v-sole as many have stated is unique and allows for one to open the club face for various shots. When I open the 57* the leading edge is actually raised off the turf which makes one think you are going to belly the ball at impact. NOT the case, these clubs are great at getting up close and personal with the ball. I made is a point of hitting nippers every chance I got yesterday. The 57* degree loft combined with the v-sole really allowed for some low skippers into the greens with no issues.
I saw absolutely no digging with the wedges and I hit a very shots from maybe the only two wet spots in that arid golf course we played. Tight Texas lies where no problem either. I going to game these for next few months and will be providing some feed back. I think this is a start of a good relationship and I'm looking forward to getting these out on some Florida greens.

Great to hear, Tadashi. These really are unique and any future purchase must fit with the SCORs I have.

I will be following Tadashi! I am really close in pulling the trigger but will wait to hear from ya!

I will be following Tadashi! I am really close in pulling the trigger but will wait to hear from ya!

Get em Nate! For me they are miles ahead of the Vokey's and probably the best wedge out there for my game.

Very nice write-up Dave, enjoyed reading that. I went with Eidolon's due to current affordability, and I'm very happy with them, but I eventually see some SCORs in my future...

Get em Nate! For me they are miles ahead of the Vokey's and probably the best wedge out there for my game.
You may be right...don't know if I can wait a couple months. The course we played didn't have a range but I swung Cookie's SCOR wedge and it felt and looked great.

I am no the temporary owner of a 52* and 57* degree as Cookie and I traded wedges yesterday. I started really pondering these at the PGA Show when I saw how good looking they were. The chrome finish is not glaring, the weight is a bit heavier than my J40s and the heads are smaller.
The v-sole as many have stated is unique and allows for one to open the club face for various shots. When I open the 57* the leading edge is actually raised off the turf which makes one think you are going to belly the ball at impact. NOT the case, these clubs are great at getting up close and personal with the ball. I made is a point of hitting nippers every chance I got yesterday. The 57* degree loft combined with the v-sole really allowed for some low skippers into the greens with no issues.
I saw absolutely no digging with the wedges and I hit a very shots from maybe the only two wet spots in that arid golf course we played. Tight Texas lies where no problem either. I going to game these for next few months and will be providing some feed back. I think this is a start of a good relationship and I'm looking forward to getting these out on some Florida greens.

I am excited to see that you are going to be giving your feedback on these clubs. I too am in serious ponder mode on these. I am sure I will eventually pull the trigger.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these Freddie! Your golf knowledge far outweighs mine and I enjoy your reviews.

Back