TaylorMade ATV Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Born from years of research and development as well as extensive player testing, TaylorMade Golf is proud to introduce the ATV (All-Terrain Versatility), a wedge created to offer golfers a simple choice to handle the multitude of shots and course conditions. With its strategically designed sole geometries, the ATV is the most versatile wedge in golf.

“Prior to the introduction of the ATV, the wedge is a piece of equipment that traditionally forces a player to sacrifice a certain shot type,” said Brian Bazzel, product creation manager for irons, putters and wedges. “The ATV wedge is engineered to perform beautifully on a multitude of different types of shots, including chips, pitches, sand shots, full shots from fairway, out of the rough, off hardpan, flop shots and bump-and-runs.”

The ATV’s sole design was designed with every curve, angle and edge serving a purpose to make the club more versatile. Significant relief at the toe, heel and trailing edge reduces resistance and changes how the sole reacts with turf and sand, depending on how the club is positioned at address and how much the face is opened. Each ATV sole is slightly different, depending on the loft.

Bazzel added: “You won’t find a bounce number etched anywhere into the ATV clubhead because the sole takes on different bounces depending on how you position the club for the type of shot you’re hitting, including where your hands are positioned in relation to the clubhead and depending on whether the face is square or to what degree it’s open.”

New Groove Design
The ATV wedge incorporates a new groove design created by the company’s R&D department that generates nearly as much spin as its previous highest spinning groove ever, the Z, outlawed in high-level competitions starting last year when the USGA reformed its definition of acceptable groove design. In addition, the flat areas between the grooves of the ATV wedge clubface incorporate a micro-texture that helps hold the ball to impart backspin.

1022899.jpg

Last edited:
They look okay to me. They aren't beautiful or anything. Maybe put them in the work horse category.

I'm not so sure about the look. Just not for me I guess. I'm sure it will be a solid wedge though.

I like the logo with the stripes but not the ATV name. Looks like they are borrowing some variable bounce tech from Bridgestone?

They are an interesting concept for sure. Not good at all in the looks dept. but if they work as well as they are advertising, I wouldn't care. Definitely something I wouldn't buy without trying first.

not really a fan of the looks. I preferred the look of the XFT to the ATV
I don't think it looks as good as the J40, Cleveland 588, New Callaway Forged or even the Cobra Tursty Rusty.
In hand pics might change my mind

doesn't look great but I'm sure will perform well

I like them. I think they look so much better than the xFT's and from what I've read about them. They are extremely versatile and work quite well from a variety of lies. Those that obsess with grinds should really pay attention to these.

I like the look, especially the blade portion with the two stripes. I wish taylormade would appreciate more understated design cues. The flashiness of their clubs is sometimes too much for me.

nothing too flashy. They are putting the two lines on everything this year.

I like everything about these wedges except for the black part on the back of wedge. Other than that I think the shape is great and even the stripes look pretty good. The sole of the club looks similar to the R11 irons to me.

I like they way they look. I think the red and blue stripes just scream speed and smooth to me. Wish we could see the face. I know it's the face and they pretty much look the same. But just saying...

I can't wait to hit these. I think that TM is trying to redefine the wedge much like SCOR, just taking a different approach. I think they have put a lot of thought into these and it they are as versatile as they say then these could be a huge hit for me. I think this may be the Year of the Wedge!

I kind of like the looks of this wedge. It screams, "workhorse."

They look rugged. Like something I wouldn't be dreading hitting in the desert. Also it seems more like what I would think when I see with a JAWS vs New Callaway forged. Just a different category of looks. Does this mean the xFT is gone?

Not sure about these. They look a little too busy for my taste but the grind intrigues me, looks like it'd be a pretty versatile wedge

I can't wait to hit these. I think that TM is trying to redefine the wedge much like SCOR, just taking a different approach. I think they have put a lot of thought into these and it they are as versatile as they say then these could be a huge hit for me. I think this may be the Year of the Wedge!

My issue with this is that they just tried to "redefine" it last year and all of those people that bought the removable face wedges thinking they would be a money saver for years to come, get left out cold so to speak right?

I'm all for innovation and really look forward to these, but I am confused by the "redefining" aspect because they basically do that with every passing year so we are told by consumers.

My issue with this is that they just tried to "redefine" it last year and all of those people that bought the removable face wedges thinking they would be a money saver for years to come, get left out cold so to speak right?

I'm all for innovation and really look forward to these, but I am confused by the "redefining" aspect because they basically do that with every passing year so we are told by consumers.

This was my thought.

I only have an issue with it if they have/are going to be stopping production of the faceplates. If they are going to still be making the face plates then the consumers who bought the xft's will be just fine. If they cancel the making of the plates with this new wedge release than I have a big issue with that.

I am really disappointed because I really like the xFT wedges. I guess I am going to have to find some replacement faces and let it ride.

I'm on the fence for the look. In hand pics will make the difference, that picture makes it look a bit cheap.

The ATV concept is interesting though.

the only good thing is, for those that purchased the wedge inserts, they can still use their XFT wedges for years to come, depending on how many you purchased. I was one that really liked that technology and I am kind of bummed out that they didn't incorporate it in to their new line.

I actually kinda like the looks of these. I hope they are floating around the Outing in May.

I am one of those who have the xFT wedges and as far as I understand they have not said that they are not going to offer the replacement faces anymore. The redefining that is happening this year is with the versatility of wedges. How many companies are offering wedges with multiple bounces on one wedge? 4 or 5. Previously it was 1-2. I think the companies have figured out that the average golfer plays in many different turf conditions and they need to offer a wedge that can handle those conditions. Hard sand, soft sand, tight lies, fluffy lies. Not to mention the various types of swings. I applaud TM and other companies for trying to bring the best equipment every year and not resting on their laurels. Back to the face plates, who knows maybe the next version of the ATVs will have a removable face. But I am not going to jump the gun and be upset over them changing the philosophy on their previous wedges. I hope they continue to offer face plates and I assume that they will.

I need to see some more photos, I am also kind of skeptical of a "one bounce fits all" idea.

Back