TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

I ended up buying these after I read some of the reviews and I love these things, starting to get way better iron play consistantly. And I cant say someone lied to me about the 3 hybrid being the best of the set. I bought one to go with my irons and when you strike it well, it goes as high as a pitching wedge and just as long as a 3 hybrid should. I was flying this monster today at the range.

enyahs -- Sounds like you are on the road to some fun golf! Enjoy the monster and let the big dawg eat :hungry:

Nate and Mward, Thanks. I will give that a shot. I did do some of that and it did make a difference. I think I just need to dedicate an entire session to the clubs. Good advice.

I've been working so hard at trying to get a feel for all the clubs that I haven't worked on just one. I'll give that a shot tonight if I can get out.

Mutt -- My fellow testers are so right about the tempo with the long irons. Until you get the smooth rhythm down, do not try to force the 4 or 5 irons. Once you start to feel how these long irons play, they will work for ya and not against you.

First Report on my new RBZ

First Report on my new RBZ

I have been watching this thread for several months now. Stumbled into a "used" set of RBZ irons 3h, 3h, 5-AW. I jumped on them as a result of all of these posts. Ive now been to range 4 or 5 times and played 6 rounds. Only now am I getting the feel for them. My swing has needed to relax, slow down and let these irons do the work ! When I do and strike it well the flight path is beautiful and the distances ridiculous. I'm hitting 130 yd wedge, 165 yd 8 iron, 210yd 5 iron....thats at least a full club length increase for me. Im 45 yrs old and never thought I would see these yardages with so little effort. Once I have these babies dialed in I might have some nice scores...=)

Thank you to all you posters who helped me make the great decision to get these RBZ clubs !!!

Just been reading through this thread & its got huge (only upto page 22) so thought id jump to the end to post a quick Q. Currently looking at some of these irons to replace my old RAM set now that ive started playing again, had a good test down at my local shop & after a lengthy shootout with Callways, Pings its between the RBZ & some Nike VRS irons, any thoughts on these 2 sets? From what ive read here the RBZ's are kicking ass.

Just been reading through this thread & its got huge (only upto page 22) so thought id jump to the end to post a quick Q. Currently looking at some of these irons to replace my old RAM set now that ive started playing again, had a good test down at my local shop & after a lengthy shootout with Callways, Pings its between the RBZ & some Nike VRS irons, any thoughts on these 2 sets? From what ive read here the RBZ's are kicking ass.

Jim, I have not hit the Nikes but I think there is some staff reviews on them. I don't think you can go wrong with either set and would go on personal preference.

I have been watching this thread for several months now. Stumbled into a "used" set of RBZ irons 3h, 3h, 5-AW. I jumped on them as a result of all of these posts. Ive now been to range 4 or 5 times and played 6 rounds. Only now am I getting the feel for them. My swing has needed to relax, slow down and let these irons do the work ! When I do and strike it well the flight path is beautiful and the distances ridiculous. I'm hitting 130 yd wedge, 165 yd 8 iron, 210yd 5 iron....thats at least a full club length increase for me. Im 45 yrs old and never thought I would see these yardages with so little effort. Once I have these babies dialed in I might have some nice scores...=)

Thank you to all you posters who helped me make the great decision to get these RBZ clubs !!!

HB, great to hear that you are loving your new sticks. A 210 yard 5 iron is beastly.

Definitely try before you buy. You might like the looks of one more or the performance of the other more. Not to mention you could sleep better at night knowing you made a smart decision.

Tried both sets along with the Callaway diablo & razr irons plus some pings & the RBZ & Nike were working the best for me & very similar, so its out of these two. Upto page 40 now & it all reads very good for the RBZ's.

Also excellent feedback from the testers & people that have had some of these bad boys, great job & great thread chaps!

Jimster got Rocketballz!

4i-SW, decided to go for these over the Nike VRS although it was a close call, had hit both well in the simulator & they worked better for me than the callaway diablos/razr x irons that both went left & also some ping g10's that were much shorter compared to the others.

First off a quick Q - anyone with the sand wedge, is the bottom mirrored part supposed to be none glossy/mirrored? I assume it is so that sand dosent scratch it however really like the mirrored finish on these irons.

Range session #1

Anyway, took these down to the range for 60 balls just to try them out & see how they went. Initial thoughts are they look nice, 4i & 5i seem chunky, hybrid-esque as has been mentioned previously, they do look big which im not sure if im that keen on but if they go well that's all that matters plus im sure I will get used to them, the rest look great & when I showed a neighbour he commented how nice they looked.

Moving on to trying them out, I warmed up with the 7i & then went to the 4i & worked up through the set. Have to say they really do go high & straight when you hit them right, they are also very forgiving. Coming from my olde crappy RAM set I can tell the difference & now I cant blame the clubs, need to work on my technique & possibly take a few lessons, starting out again when you were never good in the first place is tough BUT I think if I stick at it good things will happen with these clubs.

I hit good & average shots with all irons, it was very windy out on the range today but I did nail a few of them, also the higher irons seemed to stop well also. Early days obviously but pleased with them, will try & get back down the range one night after work & report back how session 2 goes.

I knew I was getting close with these irons.....73 today, +1 for my round. Struck the irons very well and only hit a couple of loose shots with them. Drove and putted well too which helps. All seemed to come together. Glad the RBZ's are still in the bag!!

I knew I was getting close with these irons.....73 today, +1 for my round. Struck the irons very well and only hit a couple of loose shots with them. Drove and putted well too which helps. All seemed to come together. Glad the RBZ's are still in the bag!!
I see you are low hdcp and playing these. Are you using the stock 85 gram steel shaft?
I really like these but think reshafting me be in my future?

Thats awesome Nate, great round. Its always a great feeling when it all comes together after knowing your so close to that happening.

I see you are low hdcp and playing these. Are you using the stock 85 gram steel shaft?
I really like these but think reshafting me be in my future?
They are stock shafts which is what we received from Taylor Made at the beginning of testing. The only thing I changed were the grips (did not like the stock grips). I've thought about changing the shafts as well but I may have played too long with them now as my swing and speed may have adjusted to them?!? Couple more good rounds I may take them in to GolfTec and see what they think but as the old saying goes....... I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it?!

Just a couple of sides notes on the round: the 4 iron off the tee today was money! Missed one 4 iron to the right but got a drop from the path that put me in good shape. There were a couple tight fairways that demanded a 230-250yd straight shot and they performed big time for me.

Hit 3 AW shots (1 from the fairway bunker) and each one put me 10-15ft for birdie. Continuing from my other posts.....I LOVE THIS CLUB!!

Thanks 10YardDraw! It felt good and the putter helped out too.........

My RBZ irons are not going anywhere! I shot my Personal Best round (73) with them and when I play to my potential, these are the best I have ever gamed. That is a strong statement but oh so true. I would highly recommend, anyone one looking for some new irons, to check these out. If ya get some, come back in here and tell it like it is!

I got mine about a month ago. The feel is incredible. The balance and weight are perfect. I can always count on it for a 190 yrd. shot. Awesome club. Thank you for choosing me to test it.

RBZ short iron distance gap

RBZ short iron distance gap

I have played 3 rounds with my standard 4-aw stiff steel RBZ's and have run into a problem. Long irons are longer than my old set but something funky is going on with the short irons. For example with my old set 8=165, 9=155, pw=145yds. Yesterday playing, no wind flat 172 (walked to 165yd tee), took 8 iron and flew the green. Was playing alone so dropped another ball, second shot landed right by the first (about a 175yrd carry). 2 holes later, flat 157 yard par 3. Took 9iron, hit it sold, 5 yards short, dropped another, also short. PW, and AW are also considerably shorter than my old set. Old set I hit 56* SW 100yds on full swing. This set I have to hammer the 50* AW to get that distance. Not sure what is going on but below 8rion i get a dramatic distance drop. Anyone else see anything like this?

With all the sneaky delofting happening every year, there's a bit of loft-crowding going on in the long irons, and larger gaps between the short ones.

Doesn't account for hitting the 9-XW shorter than your old irons, of course.
Ball flight too high?
Are you swinging them at a slower tempo, and hit them with more effective loft?

ball flight on short irons seems similar to old set (nothing screaming at me) although I do hit the long irons higher but greater distance. I am taking pretty much the same swing I did with old clubs...and nothing different between 8-9iron to account for 20-25yds

lofts could be off.

I hit my short irons as long if not longer than my prior set of irons. I would get your lofts checked. When I had my lie modified, three of the irons were off by two degrees.

I hit my short irons as long if not longer than my prior set of irons. I would get your lofts checked. When I had my lie modified, three of the irons were off by two degrees.

Agree with OG. I have seen no drop off in distance with the short irons. I would be suspicious of the lofts.

I got mine about a month ago. The feel is incredible. The balance and weight are perfect. I can always count on it for a 190 yrd. shot. Awesome club. Thank you for choosing me to test it.

What the? I don't get it.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

The thing is I am not hitting them extra high (if lofts were off/less distance I would assume higher loft)

The thing is I am not hitting them extra high (if lofts were off/less distance I would assume higher loft)

That is weird?! My distances are about the same as you on your irons. My AW goes constantly 120-125 with a smooth swing. I would take them somewhere and get the lofts checked out.

Happy to report my RBZ irons are headed to their new home in Canada with everyone's favorite Tuna.

RBZ vs R11

RBZ vs R11

Happy to report my RBZ irons are headed to their new home in Canada with everyone's favorite Tuna.
I read and commented on your TM Lab fitting. Now I put two and two together. So here's the question of the day. Did you like the R11 irons that much better than the RBZ irons? What did you like about the R11 irons over the RBZ? I appreciate any feedback you can give. I might be going down the road away from the RBZ and toward the R11 after hitting in the PGA Superstore last week. Just looking for your feedback since you have hit both more than me.
Thanks.

That is weird?! My distances are about the same as you on your irons. My AW goes constantly 120-125 with a smooth swing. I would take them somewhere and get the lofts checked out.

Yeah it seems really odd to me. I got the standard fitting at Golf Galaxy and they said I was stiff shaft, standard lie/loft so no tweaking of the clubs was done. They are stock from TM. Gonna go to the range again and see what happens.

Back