The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff biggsy. Sounds like a beast of a course.

Played TPC Treviso Bay down in Naples today. Course was in beautiful shape. I'm working on a thread for the course itself where I took a bunch of pictures and I'll do a little course review.

We played the Championship Tees (1 up from the PGA Tour tees). 74.0/150. The PGA Tour tees were 76.2/155. I've never seen a rating that high. The course was tough and wet, 5 tee shots plugged in the fairway. Ended up with an 82 and 32 putts. Greens looked perfect, but they were soft and slow. Hit 9 fairways and 9 greens. I've all but checked out of my current non-MC irons. Hit the hybrids great again and the driver and 3 wood are getting closer.

They played the Ace Group Classic here in 2009.

Nice round Biggsy

You knew I wasn't going to be Swiss for long. I hate the cold and I don't like their cheese. Besides all they're good at is tennis and bobsled.

Ok so who's yanking who here? :D

Yeah I was hoping that one would go unnoticed. Yorkem is being affected by the toe pain. Disregard the FIFY

You knew I wasn't going to be Swiss for long. I hate the cold and I don't like their cheese. Besides all they're good at is tennis and bobsled.

Ok so who's yanking who here? :D

I'm not going there.

Boom! 9 fwys and 9 GIR's, well done Captain! You should be super proud of that.

CG13 - That was a really good novel you wrote earlier about the matchups. Trouble is, the match results will be in the NON-FICTION section of the webpage. Your diatribe needs to be placed in Fiction - Comedy. Or perhaps Fiction - Awkward Attempt at Objectivity.

But I've taken the liberty of a quick paste/copy of your Match 1 Novella, and have FIFY.

Round 1 - Two Man Team Scramble
Independance Course - Watson

Match 1
Captain TC (4) & OEM KEV (15) vs P4B (6) & ONE-T (10)
Lucas Calloway & Kevin McNiel vs Jason Kunze & Jarret Calloway

I think Biggsy paired these two up with the hope of stealing a point. It is by far the best pairing for team Paradise and it’s a shame they have no shot at coming in with anything other than a huge win..

P4B is the low handicap of Team Paradise and One-T is definitely playing better than a 10. So that SHOULD swing the match towards TP, however there are two obstacles in the way.

One, ONE-T has grown up behind a more athletic and stronger golfer than himself. He has never beaten his bigger bro, and even if he becomes a better golfer than TC in the future, and the future starts in August 2011 at the Morgan Cup you and I both know - the bigger bro always wins at least when he's telling the story later trying to impress "customers on the lot". TC can ride through this match with blinders on knowing [thinking] he has the point in the bag because he has always beaten his brother and will continue to do so until the Excellence that is One-T sinks the winning birdie putt on the final hole and TC and OEM melt into dejected defeat.

The second, more important point in this matchup.. Jake.. it is well-documented the failures of P4B in Florida Golf matchups which if they were ever in evidence were merely to send a false sense of security to his eventual opponents in future events. He can't survive an entire match without choking up at the sight of supreme sportsmanship and championship behavior like arydolphin on sunday night watching the women's world cup. He will choke down guffaws attempting to remain calm and professional while the Team Hackers live up to their name by chunking their initial tee shots barely beyond the women's tee, and wipe away tears watching early and often and One-T will be scrambling to carry Jake to victory through round 1 AND try to beat his bigger bro to the 19th hole to buy a victory round of drinks for Team Paradise and their supporters.
That is just too much for One-T to swallow, as he needs to remain clear headed for the next day's competitions even though i believe he is the #2 on Team Paradise, it is too big a hurdle for him because TC was laying down at the time, so One-T had to walk around.

AS for OEM KEV; he can ride into this matchup worry-free with the knowledge he is playing with Captain, a phenomenal ball-striker and pressure-putter. I love the pairing here for Team Hackers. That comfort zone for OEM KEV will allow him to just play his game which is something barely recognizable as golf - and he will prove to everyone why he is here in this matchup and that's because all the caddy spots were taken. He'll be able to stay calm and collected as they drain their sorrows in warm Cold Duck Champagne while Team Paradise makes birdie putts and watch while P4B almost self-destructs due to missing that double eagle by merely inches and TP will help lay such a beating on Team Hackers initial Match 1 competitors that their other team members will beat themselves silly wondering why they deluded themselves into thinking they even had the scantest of chances.

Great matchup for Team Hackers

Point: HACKERS get :beat-up: and the point goes to Team Paradise

LOL at novella... como?

You know, I think this thread alone may be the death of the US Economy...work productivity has ground to a near stop and we've got five plus weeks to go. Hope this "pro golfer" thing works out, because I may need a new job by August.

Since Midnight this morning, this thread has 27 pages of buttery, brat basting cannibalizing, CG prediciting, Spank/Hawk jawing, Dolphin bashing goodness.

C'mon Matt - they need your help this morning. Hackers don't bite!

I have decided to rename Yorkem - The Little Piggy - that cried wee, wee, wee alllllll the way home! Getting off the course cuz' of a measly broken toe? That's more embarrassing than the shot that caused it!

I have decided to rename Yorkem - The Little Piggy - that cried wee, wee, wee alllllll the way home! Getting off the course cuz' of a measly broken toe? That's more embarrassing than the shot that caused it!

Word in the office was he was still beating you TP lover

Enjoyed reading the predictions CG - well thought out my friend!

Biggsy - nice round bud, I think that course would have kicked my a$$ all over the place from the way it sounds!

Wow...that's brutal...but me and my broken toe will go out right now and whoop your a$$!

Word in the office was he was still beating you TP lover

I just double checked the card...we were even, but I was getting hot!

Wow...that's brutal...but me and my broken toe will go out right now and whoop your a$$!

Say the word toe jam!

I just double checked the card...we were even, but I was getting hot!

Easy to say when you always keep the card... Yeah I think I was up by 5 strokes or so!

You know, I think this thread alone may be the death of the US Economy...work productivity has ground to a near stop and we've got five plus weeks to go. Hope this "pro golfer" thing works out, because I may need a new job by August.

Since Midnight this morning, this thread has 27 pages of buttery, brat basting cannibalizing, CG prediciting, Spank/Hawk jawing, Dolphin bashing goodness.

It has been a little nuts around here. How do you like your team mate CG13 selling you down the street like that on your match? He'll probably reason with you like a true OSU fan trying to explain last season... like it never happened.

RadRob dropping some serious knowledge on that first match prediction, nicely done!!!

Radrob has not been here long enough to know about your Florida swoon

Say the word toe jam!

Easy to say when you always keep the card... Yeah I think I was up by 5 strokes or so!

Hahahahahahahaha@ toe jam

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

Wow, this thread is hopping! I love all of the enthusiasm from every side, participants and supporters alike! That took me about an hour to read.

what is soccer? Truely there can not be a sport out there that I don't have a team for....quick google search for the current champions and I have found my team

colorado-rapids-2.jpg
ddec, that's freakin classic!

At least we toss salad like men, without the Ranch.
There you go with this homo stuff again...not that there is anything wrong with that...

Sadly, it isn't. Luckily for you, your supporters cloud up this thread with sick references, soccer talk, and vegetable worship. Nobody will ever see your pathetic excuse for a range.
See post above.

Okay partner, that is one tough range. Way to challenge yourself. As my mentor I feel it's my duty to tell you to be careful when practicing on a range that difficult. It's easy to find yourself pressing in such a situation, and that can mess with your brain. Even in MST.

I can't wait until we tee it up against the Vanilla brother and that other guy. We're going to fun them to death. I may sweat all over them.
That basketball scene in Along Came Polly comes to mind...I think Ben Still is still picking the chest hair out of his teeth.

Good thing team hackers has supporters. Someone needs to post for them
Word

ok if i need to explain one of the oldest jokes ever! As a joke we used to send the new labourers to the shop and get them to ask the shop keeper for a long wait. i guess i touched a nerve. you obviously was that kid when you started out in your job.
Be careful with Fairway2Green, he's been known to chew some faces off of little children. In this case, eat the face off of your grammar.

SW, we'd love to have you as a Hacker supporter.
He's one of regular playing partners and he's played a lot with AHA, his decision is a tough one I am sure.

Fair enough. I'm not playing in the Morgan Cup and won't be competing with you, so it doesn't have much to do with this thread at all. Still, I don't ever deny that I can suck it up on a golf course. In fact, I have a whole thread about it. Working my butt off to change that, buddy ;)

The difference is I'm in here supporting the MC by having some fun with it. I'm here spending my day keeping this thread at the top of the front page. Next time you decide to stop by my thread, you can make fun of me all you want and I won't get too upset. I promise :devil:
This is one of the great things about the supporters and being active and continually talking about the Morgan Cup. It's appreciated Hawk, even if it's for The Hacks.

This morning I played in a qualifier for the Pennsylvania State Open Championship. This is an open event so the field includes both amateurs and pros (club pros and min-tour guys). I didn't have my best stuff out there (I couldn't hit a fairway to save my life today) and my score wasn't good enough to make the cut for the Championship, but it was a good experience nonetheless. I ended up shooting 79 including some loose shots and a few bad breaks. For example, from 70 yards out in the fairway for my third shot after laying up on the par 5 8th, my approach shot hit a sprinkler head in the fringe and bounced OB over the green, leading to my only double of the day. Oh well, it happens and it's part of the game, but it's still frustrating. I ended up T29. The course was playing at 6375 (71.8/135). There was some really good players in the field as you can tell from some of the scores:

http://www.pagolf.org/uploads/realtime/2011_open_qual_youghiogheny/Stroke.html

It was a hot day and the competition was solid so I just chalk it up to good Morgan Cup preparation.
Nice warm up and some stiff competition. 79 is still a great round.

Thanks man. It happens...my playing partners said they'd never seen such a bad break. I also hit the flagstick twice from the fairway which sent my ball off the green both times, etc. Just one of those days. That's golf.
Golf gods telling you that the MC is enough for you to handle right now. Those were some bad breaks.

In case anyone forget (as if that's possible), Team Paradise has a few guys that can allegedly really bomb it. CRAZY long. Bubba long. Gary Woodland long.

So, you broke out the egg ball and the exploding ball in one week...LOL. I don't think I've seen one whip up a dust storm like that...the wind musty have been kicking!

Reading CG13 breaking down pairings in The Morgan Cup is like Darwin writing about God. I stopped after the first sentence.

Nice review of the matchups CG, but guys, you should get off of the Belbin/Biggsy pairing. It gets TP very upset when we bring that up. hehehe
Keep bringing it up, it doesn't bother me. Maybe and just maybe, I'm really not that long and I've sacrificed a lot of my length to pick up some accuracy, making this a perfect pairing.

Just my opinion but I think his thoughts are that the combined length of Biggsy/Belbin would get in AHA's head and cause him to not play his game. I think it will backfire miserably and they will lose that point. Again Just my opinion
Wrong, thought NEVER entered my mind.

Yea he's played in more tournaments than I can imagine. TP tries not to talk about it bc they know they're in trouble
You are right, we lose before the first tee shot is even fired. Shallow thinking.

I appreciate the support and confidence, and you're right, length doesn't intimidate me at all and I play lots of golf with guys who bomb it. However, I feel pretty confident saying that this was probably not why biggsy picked this match up (and don't get my wrong, I honestly don't know his reasons and I don't want to speak for him). He and I have played together a bunch of times so we know each others games. That being said, I fully anticipate biggsy and belbin playing well and for this to be a very competitive match. JRod and I will be ready.
I agree. I think all of the matches will be close. We set them up that way. We could have tilted matches, but it wasn't the intent.

I think every match is compelling.

Good stuff biggsy. Sounds like a beast of a course.
Thanks, it was one of the more difficult courses I've played.

Boom! 9 fwys and 9 GIR's, well done Captain! You should be super proud of that.
Thanks. A little better with the greens. I've just checked out of my irons like I said. The missed fairways were not that bad, most just off and only one wayward drive that cost me.

Biggsy - nice round bud, I think that course would have kicked my a$$ all over the place from the way it sounds!
Thank you, she was a little unkind with wayward shots.

Biggsy with the very nice round from WAAAYYYY back there. Nicely done. That's not some dinky little course.

Kevin

Very nice round biggsy.

Nice round, biggsy! Looking forward to pics of the course.

Posted via Tapatalk

Nice playing AHA and biggsy! AHA, sounds like you got some really tough breaks, and we all have those days. Still, to shoot under 80 with those bad breaks in a tournament setup is really impressive. biggsy, nice playing on a really long track (I looked at your stats on OOB), should give you some good confidence when the holes are shorter at Reunion.

I guess it's a good thing that it took me 15 minutes to get caught up with all of the posts on this thread! Great to see the activity in this thread from supporters of both teams. I haven't posted in this thread during the day because I was busy at work this morning, but luckily got to head out this afternoon and play 18 holes. I got to the course without a tee time, and the guy in the pro shop told me to go to the 10th tee right away to get in front of some groups that were going to tee off a little after that. Anyways, I struggled on the first nine holes with a 46. I had 2 triple bogeys due to lost balls off of the tee, and was really angry at myself walking from the 18th green to the 1st tee. I played more conservatively on the front nine, trying to stay away from penalty shots. My rhythm also got better, and I came home in 38 to shoot 84 for the day. The course had 5 par 3's and I made par on all of those holes, which was really nice. I had some great up and downs with the XFT wedges, will post some details about that in the wedge thread. For what it's worth, the course was 70.4/128 in terms of rating and slope.

Once I get rid of the penalty shots off of the tee, I'm going to be threatening to break 80 pretty regularly. One other thing: the high temperature at the course was 91 degrees, and I walked 18 holes while carrying my bag, and felt great afterwards. I know it's not the Florida heat and humidity, but if felt good to be out there and get some exposure to high temperatures. The funny part about it is that once the temperatures go above 90 degrees here, the courses magically clear out, I finished my round in 3.5 hours and wasn't rushing at all, I could have gotten around in 3 hours if I had tried to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back