The Relocation Thread

We spent some more time in Asheville Friday and yesterday and we are really gravitating to it more and more. It's close to the Smokies, Knoxville, Sequoyah National, and if we want to go to the beach we're a few hours away. My new job gives me a territory from Marylands eastern shore to West Palm beach, most of my time will be spent in Northern Va and Orlando and this is perfect distance from both.

I've got to be closer to fly fishing.

We spent some more time in Asheville Friday and yesterday and we are really gravitating to it more and more. It's close to the Smokies, Knoxville, Sequoyah National, and if we want to go to the beach we're a few hours away. My new job gives me a territory from Marylands eastern shore to West Palm beach, most of my time will be spent in Northern Va and Orlando and this is perfect distance from both.

We can meet at the Rock Barn to play!

While I've never been there myself, my college roommate who lives outside of Raleigh is CONSTANTLY bragging about his trips to Asheville. It sounds like a fun outdoorsy type place.

I absolutely loved my trip there. Great food and drink, great social atmosphere downtown, and the area around it is gorgeous, golf is excellent as well.

I cant wait until I am looking for a place to settle down. I will be looking for a place that has decent climate, golf, job market and reasonable housing.
I will also have to look into taxes etc... I know some states are really friendly to military retirees which might sway my decision to some degree.

I'm considering a move from frozen Ohio to Florida. There is a job opening at a location in Lakeland, Florida. There are a couple things keeping me from running for the job. Cost of moving, not knowing anyone in the area, not having a place to live, being away from most of my family, and no guarantee that I would permanently be in the job. I do have family in Staurt, Fort Myers and Bradenton. Granted no job is ever guaranteed. This cold weather really has me considering it. Just need to get the wife on board. Anyone in the area interested in babysitting? :D

Every few years I get a big itch to relocate. Unlike many I don't want to go to FL or AZ because 110* is the same as 10* to me, I'm staying inside and not golfing. It also doesn't help I'm a ginger and burn like one. I just want someplace where winter is 2-3 months instead of 6-7. Someplace not overly humid all the time. Someplace where cost of living isn't outrageous. Most of all someplace where I don't have to worry about mother nature causing mass destruction (no hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes).

Every few years I get a big itch to relocate. Unlike many I don't want to go to FL or AZ because 110* is the same as 10* to me, I'm staying inside and not golfing. It also doesn't help I'm a ginger and burn like one. I just want someplace where winter is 2-3 months instead of 6-7. Someplace not overly humid all the time. Someplace where cost of living isn't outrageous. Most of all someplace where I don't have to worry about mother nature causing mass destruction (no hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes).
For what it's worth, 110 never happens in FL, not even close. It is humid, and stays hot for a long period of time. But places like North Carolina and Virginia are just as hot just not as long.
I'm considering a move from frozen Ohio to Florida. There is a job opening at a location in Lakeland, Florida. There are a couple things keeping me from running for the job. Cost of moving, not knowing anyone in the area, not having a place to live, being away from most of my family, and no guarantee that I would permanently be in the job. I do have family in Staurt, Fort Myers and Bradenton. Granted no job is ever guaranteed. This cold weather really has me considering it. Just need to get the wife on board. Anyone in the area interested in babysitting? :D

I enjoyed living in Lakeland, plenty of local things to do, and very easy to get to Tampa and Orlando.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, 110 never happens in FL, not even close. It is humid, and stays hot for a long period of time. But places like North Carolina and Virginia are just as hot just not as long.
110 and dry vs 92 with 95% humidity is all the same to me

Here's a question...Say you decided to just pack up and move, you can't take the frigid cold winters anymore and decided to move to florida. You have found a place to rent, but you or your spouse have no job to speak of. How much money would you feel comfortable having put aside to stay afloat till you got a job and got settled in? Not looking for a dollar amount necessarily, but more like 3 months rent? 6 months, a year? etc..

Here's a question...Say you decided to just pack up and move, you can't take the frigid cold winters anymore and decided to move to florida. You have found a place to rent, but you or your spouse have no job to speak of. How much money would you feel comfortable having put aside to stay afloat till you got a job and got settled in? Not looking for a dollar amount necessarily, but more like 3 months rent? 6 months, a year? etc..

Depends on the monthly expenses and my field of employment and how confident I was. Im a bit conservative so I would say 6 months.

I'm extremely financially 'safe' and as such I couldn't do that unless I had enough to live a year comfortably.

I would need a year reserve in the bank. We did just that a few years ago when we moved to Raleigh. I had a job in about three days and my wife took about two weeks. Worked out well for us but we were prepared for a year.

I try and make it my rule of thumb to always have a year of our combined salaries in the bank. We have been fortunate to always maintain that. It just gives a bit of comfort that if something happened or we did need to relocate we would be able to.

On the flip side of that I have friends that moved with nothing and made it work. Personally that would scare me to the point where I would be miserable.

I'm conservative when it comes to cash in the bank, so I'd have to have 9-12 in cash to do it. Plus my credit cards would have to be fully available.

I know I have enough trades to find work and pay the bills in a short time but you never really know.

Interesting. I had thought roughly 6 months as I'm pretty sure my wife could get a job fairly easily being a hairdresser, though it might take her awhile to get established and I would work at McDonalds if I had to till I found what I was looking for. We are still in ponder mode, but when we go to FL in a few weeks and return back to this crap, I guarantee its going to be a full on discussion again.

Interesting. I had thought roughly 6 months as I'm pretty sure my wife could get a job fairly easily being a hairdresser, though it might take her awhile to get established and I would work at McDonalds if I had to till I found what I was looking for. We are still in ponder mode, but when we go to FL in a few weeks and return back to this crap, I guarantee its going to be a full on discussion again.

With that work ethic and committment (something my wife and I both share), it can absolutely be done.

With that work ethic and committment (something my wife and I both share), it can absolutely be done.

Agreed! Most people will just wait until they find their perfect job, but if you are open to taking a job at McDonald's until you find the right thing, then I think you will be just fine. I wish more people had that attitude. Because I have always believed, a bad job is still better than no job.

As I near retirement, I am considering relocating to where, while there is some change in the climate, it does last as long or get as severe as Maryland. Southern Virginia or Northern North Carolina would seem like a good area. Anyone know these areas?

5* with a negative 14* windchill driving in to work today.... Can't wait to start researching all the cities we're interested in.

As I near retirement, I am considering relocating to where, while there is some change in the climate, it does last as long or get as severe as Maryland. Southern Virginia or Northern North Carolina would seem like a good area. Anyone know these areas?
While I am still a LONG ways off and I do live close to it now. Pinehurst area will for sure be a target of mine when it is time to retire (unless things change down there)

If it's me, I'm looking at a 9-12 months of expenses. But honestly, I'm probably not brave enough to move without one of us having a job... but Becky and I have student loans (do these ever go away?) and her car payment that really eat up a lot of cash right when the month is started. If we didn't have those....It'd be a different story. What's funny is that we just had this conversation of a budget and such last night and we're going to actually look at the numbers in depth this weekend. This moving thing once school is done is getting real...

I'm pretty careful/conservative so I would say 12 months if we were going down without any job prospects whatsoever. If I had leads and/or was going to an area that was rich in job prospects for my specific profession I'd say maybe 6 months. The answer assumes the prospective area has normal unemployment. +/- months if the area is better/worse than average for that.

5* with a negative 14* windchill driving in to work today.... Can't wait to start researching all the cities we're interested in.
Skim alert here but did you say which cities you are looking at?

Skim alert here but did you say which cities you are looking at?
(Dallas/Austin/Phoenix/Carolinas/Florida coastal/D.C.-Virginia) and adding...

Back