The University of Texas Golf Club Review

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This is one I've been looking forward to for awhile. Located in the hill country of Austin, Texas this course was built and funded by some of the University's most influential supporters with a mission to build a permanent home for the UT golf teams.

University of Texas Golf Club Website

From their website, "The University of Texas Golf Club is a 7,412, par 71 championship-caliber golf course which opened in November 2003. Built in the Texas Hill Country, the course overlooks Lake Austin and borders the Balcones Natural Wildlife Preserve, offering challenging shots and views that rival the best in Austin."

Mike Myers, the man behind the land and the golf course, earned a BBA from the University of Texas in 1959 and an LLB from the School of Law in 1963.

So let's get to this UT Golf Club experience!

Once you drive in to the Steiner Ranch development you instantly get a feel you are in the hill country of Austin. Houses on tall hills, trees everywhere and roads that wind and circle around so much that you lose your sense of direction. Once you encounter this sign you know you are in the right place.

039_Snapseed_zpsea163994.jpg

We drove up and the attendant took our clubs and placed them on one of these beauties for the day. Ha! Hook 'em was already entering my mind right about now!

003_Snapseed_zpsf30a610f.jpg

A little walk to the pro shop then made me realize there was much damage to be done once we were through playing. Texas, Texas and more Texas Longhorn goodies to be had. Made me feel like a kid in a candy store. Texas Longhorn merchandise on golf stuff! #Winning!

Proshop_zpsd3ff7498.jpg

After a quick walk through the dining room and men's locker room (pictures to come at the end) we were ready to hit some balls on the range. And what would a Texas Longhorn golf course be without orange range balls?

null_zps4a841dbf.jpg

002_Snapseed_zps33a01332.jpg

It was an overcast day, a chance of rain later, little to no wind and a nice cool chill in the air. To say I love these kind of weather conditions would be an understatement. We were ready to go!

004_zpsa67bb46e.jpg
006_Snapseed_zps0b79cf9d.jpg

We decided to play the white tees which were playing at just over 6,600 yards. A good test on a new golf course. From the tee box I really couldn't tell what the 1st hole was doing. So of course you just go with your gut and hope for the best. In the picture above, the cart in the fairway was the line which had the green just a bit right of that point. Drive number 1 hit the fairway and we were off.

Hole1_zpsdbab9f29.jpg

This is what I was left with after my drive which was about a half sand wedge to the green. Pretty standard green but some slope in the middle. The fairway narrowed where I was at so sometimes it's good not knowing.

I was left with a 5 foot birdie chance which I made and was pretty excited to start -1 after 1. A good and fair starting hole to get you going.

008_zpsa64432d8.jpg
Hole2_zps517e6a85.jpg

A very stunning par 3 number 2 which made the green look 10 feet wide from the tee box. You have to trust your distance here and just go with it. Hit a very nice PW to about 12 feet and 2 putted for par. This hole is all about the tee shot and could lead to some very high numbers if it's not hit just right.

011_zps3f3e10ea.jpg
Hole3_zps5d018d1f.jpg

A pretty generous fairway from the tee box gets you started on the 3rd hole. Big bunkers on the left side of the fairway makes you take aim a little right. Hit my worse drive of the day here, a snap hook that landed left of the bunkers and along the tree line on the left. A recovery PW put me on the pretty big green but about 50 feet from the hole. I made a 15 foot putt for par to save the hole (yes, my 1st putt was way short).

014_zpsc00f8e03.jpg
Hole4_zps2a9b9d96.jpg

A tight little par 4 on the 4th that makes putting it in the fairway a must. It appears from the picture you have room on the right but that quickly ends on a good shot and you will be in the trees and have a less than ideal angle to the green. I hit my trusty old 4W fairway finder X Hot and landed just over the bunkers on the left side and just into the rough. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Hole4Green_zpsda4e802c.jpg

The green is surrounded by huge bunkers so hitting the green is a must unless you love to hit sand shots. The rough grabbed my 52 degree a bit and I ended up short of the hole but right on line with the pin some 25 feet away up the hill. Another good 2 putt and it was off the hole 5.

017_zps96f00478.jpg
Hole5_zps01823010.jpg

A longer par 4 starts you with a wide fairway but then narrows the longer you attempt to go. The guy standing out in the fairway is a good line from the tee box. Everything seems to funnel to the right. Another 4W on that line left me with 180 yards into this elevated green. Longer hitters can hit driver but you better be straight! Just a bit off line and your in the woods each way.

Hole5Green_zpsf9a37bf8.jpg

The green is uphill and maybe a good 1/2 club longer than what you would normally use. Another green that you can't see from the fairway and you have to trust your distance. Pulled my 6 iron badly to the left and I was left with a chip from up top near that white spec of cart path you can see. Didn't hit a great shot and 2 putted for a bogey. Even after 5.

021_zpse7eac466.jpg
Hole6_zps51a07700.jpg

Here is the view you are given for your tee shot on the 6th hole. Yea, exactly! Pick and line and go with it! The hole moves slightly to the right so hitting right over those trees/bushes is a good line. Another fairway that narrows the longer you go so accuracy is a must. Hit a great 4W down the middle which left me with 120 yards to the green. The fairway had extreme slope from left to right. Missed the green right and 2 putted for another bogey. Below is a picture looking from the 6th fairway down to the 5th green.

Hole6and5_zps07ad0e95.jpg

025_zpscba69e8b.jpg
Hole7_zps72089f8c.jpg

Probably one, if not THE, signature hole on the course. Amazing views from up top on the 7th tee box. A creek to the left will make you aim straight down the fairway. A touch of a draw will help as the hole then takes a 90 degree turn to the left. Another great 4W left me 150 yards to a green that you could not see (once again). The pin was tucked left and right up against the creek. I bailed and went right, just missing the green.

Hole7EdNate_zps4113a628.jpg

Hole7Fairway_zps91758b4f.jpg

Another less than stellar chip and 2 putt gave me another bogey. +2 after 7 holes.

031_zps9816d13f.jpg
Hole8_zpse1af2cae.jpg

A pretty straight forward par 3 came next but you could only see the front part of the green from the tees. Luckily that's where the pin was so it was playing a bit shorter than it could have. Hit a nice 7 iron just left of the pin and 2 putted from 30 feet for a par. Green sloped from back left to front right.

035_zps09cce67e.jpg
Hole9Fairway_zps47cbd600.jpg

After some demanding middle holes that required some good and accurate tee shots, the par 5 9th hole opens up and you can grip it and rip it! Not much trouble except a bunker on the right that you need to avoid. Plenty of room on the left.

Hole9Green_zpsc228ff37.jpg

A nice driver and 4W left me this approach with my 56 degree wedge from about 40 yards. There was plenty of room to the left which actually gave me a good look straight up and into the green. I hit it about 8 feet short of the pin but with an uphill putt. Made it and finished the front 9 +1. 2 birdies and 3 bogeys. I was very happy thus far!

Back 9 coming up next!

Last edited:
Holes 10-18 and Extras

040_zps9652fe33.jpg

Hole10_zpse171fa5a.jpg

The 10th hole was very similar to the 1st hole as it was a shorter par 4 with a nice fairway to hit and short iron in for the 2nd shot. Miss the bunkers on the left and you are good to go. I hit a good 4W and had 100 yards left to the green.

Hole10Green_zpsc7265162.jpg

Hit the green but was about 20 feet short. Blew my 1st putt by the hole and missed the edge on the 2nd putt. The dreaded 3 putt bogey.

043_zps1694d4d2.jpg

Hole11_zps017efc95.jpg

A pretty open but long par 5 followed the 10th hole. Not much trouble anywhere so could hit away. I left the drive out to the right a bit and was just short of the 2 trees over on the right side, just past the bunkers. Another 10 yards and I would have been past 'em but not lucky enough here. Had to hit a low punch shot and ended up about 110 yards out behind this:

Hole11Green_zps2a99febb.jpg

Just pulled it a bit and couldn't quite get it left of this tree here. Another punch under it left me short of the green and another 2 putt for bogey. +3 after 11 holes.

046_zpsbd086fb3.jpg

Hole12_zpsf77adc1f.jpg

Another great looking par 3 just slightly uphill. What you see is what you get. Left an 8 iron out to the right of the hole and green but was able to chip and and make a 5 footer for par.

048_zps11372726.jpg

Hole13_zps804e756e.jpg

13th hole was a fun and pretty hole. It would have taken a 300+ yard drive to get over this water from the tee box so the correct play was to hit down the fairway to the right side of this hole. You could hit anything from a utility wood to driver as long as you didn't go left. The green was fairly big and left me a shot of 110 yards to the hole (hit my utility wood from tees). Just missed the birdie and settled for a 2 putt par.

050_zpsfb71ac64.jpg

Hole14_zpsf615a1fd.jpg

Par 5 14th hole was interesting. Lots of room out to the left but the fairway ran out of room with a good drive. Bunkers on the left that a good drive would land in. So went with the old 4W fairway finder and knocked the snot out of it straight down the middle towards the big green tree at the end of the fairway. This tree ended up being right in front of me and my line to the green as you can see (was left of where I took this picture):

Hole14Green_zps08c5af16.jpg

Was 230 yards out so tried to hook it by aiming right. Didn't quite hook but was ok in the rough on the right side. Had a 30 foot putt for birdie that I just missed again and settled for a good solid par.

053_zpsc06529df.jpg

Hole15_zps59302bf7.jpg

This was a fun hole, the 15th par 4. Lot's of room to the right and I darn near hit my best drive of the day here. You know when a hole just set up good to your eye and you feel comfortable? Well, this one one for me. Was left with 105 yards to the hole and hit a great 52 degree to within 15 feet. Was a big breaker and just missed on the low end. Tap in par.

null_zps0a606c47.jpg

This was a pano I did down by the tree on the right looking at the green. Lake Austin is down past the hole and it's a pretty amazing view in person.

055_zps4c0d3af0.jpg

Hole16_zps093f46ce.jpg

Par 3 16th was another great looking hole. Really all the par 3's on this course we great. Hit a 6 iron just left of the pin and just over the back of the green. 2 putt par and I was happy with that. Still +3 after 16 holes.

Hole17sign_zps27ed9b9c.jpg

Hole17_zps3c6f04b7.jpg

Another demanding tee shot that had to be placed well. If you went straight it was bunkerville for you. So I aimed just left of the bunkers and prayed. Hit probably my best 4W of the day here. Was left with 100 yards to the green. The tee shot on this hole determined what kind of hole this was going to be.

Hole17Green_zpse6580683.jpg

Nothing too crazy about the 17th green. It was a birdie hole opportunity for me due to my drive. Hit it about 10 feet to the left of the hole and just barley missed the putt. +3 going to 18. Sorry about the exposure of the 17th hole pictures. My camera setting slipped and I didn't notice it till the 18th hole.

062_zps98619451.jpg

Hole18_zps5d943aa1.jpg

What an awesome finishing hole the 18th was. Straight ahead hole. Bunkers left and right. Hit it long but hit it straight! I pulled my drive just a tad and it ended up in the left bunker with a nice big lip in front of the ball. Almost got it to the green but was right and about 20 yards short. A less than stellar chip and 2 putt gave me my last bogey on the day and a +4 75 for my first attempt at the UT Club!

null_zpsfac72efb.jpg

We then ventured into the clubhouse for some lunch before we headed back to Dallas. Here were a few fun shots I took before and after the round:

null_zpsf61a8bb7.jpg

009_Snapseed_zpsfffb7595.jpg

005_Snapseed_zps60c8f44e.jpg

064_zps69ebc704.jpg

TexasPractice_zpse31bd46c.jpg

Sign says it all! Their own barn with doors to hit out of in bad or cold weather and a huge cover across their range to use if it was raining. 1st class.

Patio_zps8d173f88.jpg

Outdoor patio with TV's and seating. This is used for many weddings so I was told.

001_Snapseed_zps4a68f130.jpg

That is their lockers along with all the other Texas greats (Leonard, Brooks, Penick and few others). Great thing about it is you can rent their lockers for the day if you are an out of town guest. The keys are in the lockers. I opened Kite and Crenshaws up and they both had their golf shoes in there. Greatness!

Trophy_zps744d1bd1.jpg

2012 NCAA Men's golf trophy

074_Snapseed_zps90cbeb20.jpg

Ryder Cup bags from the players and the coaches

075_Snapseed_zps91a10055.jpg

I got to this and just had to stand here for a minute. Gave me chills.

077_zpsb8ad2ee6.jpg

Club champs jackets....orange of course! Ha!! So awesome, I almost tried to slip one on just to see if it fit.

079_Snapseed_zps19877e5b.jpg

Every club needs a swimming pool......of course this one needs a longhorn logo in it!

Summary:

What a great day. Drove down to Austin at 5:30am and had a wonderful time. The staff was amazing and so nice. The course was in great shape even with all the rain they had received the past few weeks. This was hill country golf - No flowers needed to make this course look great. They used the lay of the land and shaped the holes to what they were given. No holes ran next to each other. I would easily rank this a top 3 golf course in the Austin area and holds up just nicely to the Barton Creek Resort courses that are located just around the corner from them.

And of course, what day would be complete without a few items to head home with.

null_zpsdd7fb19f.jpg

And yes, the girls back home got a nice glittery shirt to wear as well.

Last edited:
nate this looks great buddy. Can't wait to hear/see more. Just remember I will be in Austin for some days in Feb.

Those teasers look stunning, can't wait to see this review. Is this highly regarded in Austin?

Looking forward to some pics, Nate! Even though I'm not a UT guy, they do have some good golf (and Austin is a fun city). Which one will be higher: Nate's score, or points scored by OU next week? I'm leaning towards OU :D

Great looking course. Can't wait to hear about it.

Looks pretty awesome from the two teaser pics.

Can't wait for this one Nate, those pics look awesome!

Dude its an awesome course. Had the fortune of playing it, and you are in for a treat.

Would love to play this course! Can't wait to see some of your pics Nate! Have fun!

Have a blast, played recently along with Austin Golf Club on a guy's trip. You will love it.

Nate - the course looks incredible. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and your thoughts on the course. Enjoy!!

Sweet Nate! I've seen a few of the holes when boating on the Perdenales river and it looks amazing.

I can't wait to read this review Nate, tear it up buddy, it looks gorgeous!!!

You going to play it's full length Nate?

You going to play it's full length Nate?

I wish I could (and would) but the guys that invited me will probably play it up. So probably not going to be an option which is fine with me. Just happy to be going.

We had decent rains this past summer. Most courses in the area are in good shape right now.

Well, one of the guys has to work now tomorrow. Trip postponed for 2 weeks. I jinxed it with this thread.

TBC......

Well, one of the guys has to work now tomorrow. Trip postponed for 2 weeks. I jinxed it with this thread.

TBC......

I know a certain THPer who is free and would be more than happy to drive down with you and let you kick him around the course!!

Oooh that looks sweet. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the course!

As an OU fan, I can honestly say...I am still jealous. Seriously. Have fun!

Big Nate! Love the pics. Can't wait to see the full review, do it big time!

On again for tomorrow morning. Leaving at 5am for a 9:45am tee time. Have to remember to charge the camera tonight!

Back