THP Contests.........and the future

Let me start by saying that I did not read all 5 pages of this thread.

When I joined THP, I didn't even know there were contests. I saw a site with great people that offered fantastic reviews on products that I was interested in. I was here for several weeks before I saw my first contest threads. With that said, this is kind of a catch-22 subject don't you think? I have seen a great many posts stating something along the lines of "I hope they aren't just here for the contests." I'm sure quite a few folks are/were here for just that reason, but when we are encouraged to post on facebook, and twitter about contests we can't expect otherwise. The Bushnell contest is the first one that I did not enter, since I've been here. Honestly, if that same contest came up tomorrow, I probably would not enter it again prior to the OP. That particular product is just not one that I am interested in.

Since that OP... I definitely agree that we are here to support THP just as much as they are here to support us. So, I have a few options regarding contests that I'm not necessarily interested in for what ever reason. After entering & of course winning, I can give the prize away to a fellow THP'er that really does want it, give it to THP for a give away at a future outing, or offer it for sale and give the proceeds to charity.

I for one only enter contests involving equipment i would actually use, as opposed to winning multiple sets of the same wedges. :cough: I would feel terrible winning something I would never use, essentially taking it from someone who could actually use it, or giving them away to someone who doesn't even read this forum.

I understand that's what it was about I was simply stating why I don't enter every contest. I guess my question is this, what do we do to make it right? I want to support THP and everything they work so hard to do, but how can I justify taking something I won't use? This is a serious inquiry, and all suggestions are welcome.

As I have said several times in this thread and others, enter the contests anyway. If you win something you won't use, make up your own contest here or have JB and GG send it to a forum member who you think could and would use it.

I have only been here a few months and have seen the nice contests , but I feel that being a new member its wrong to enter as a it takes away from members that have been here the longer .
And the contests DO interest me , but like say the shoe contests for instance , I have a hard time finding shoes in my size as it is , and winning a contest and saying I need a size 7-7&1/2 and I would almost bet , they will say size 8 or bigger !
And like mentioned before , winter is coming on here where I live and winning golf balls , clubs or GPS system needing a review would be pointless for me till spring , as I would not be able to review it for several months .
Another thing is I feel like I do not have the writing skills that some have here that members and companies are looking for , thats why I do not enter , and just getting back in the game after a long layoff .

And I dont think entering and winning a contest just to give it away or put it on ebay is the right thing to be doing either , enter to win and use it , and review it for the members of THP !!

And a Big Thank You to THP for everything you do !!!

I believe this is the best golf forum on the internet. To me what makes it special is not only the content, but the level of civil discourse the site maintains, i.e., no flaming allowed. People are allowed to entertain their opinions and people are free to agree to disagree...with civility, and even with humor.

Obviously the OEM's think that THP is a valuable too or they wouldn't inundate THP with equipment to review. Obviously the opinion of THP, and its members, is important to those that manufacture equipment.

That all said I don't think anyone should feel obligated to enter a contest. It is terrific that the manufacturers are willing to offer products for contests. Perhaps I'm wrong but please remember that it's a tax write off for them, the contest will generate buzz, and the ensuing review will offer valuable feedback to the manufacturer that has much more monetary value than the product itself (please remember the reviews we write are written from an average consumer's point of view and not a professional reviewer).

Personally I enjoy the contests, but will only enter those where I would benefit from the product. If I don't need the product I won't enter the contest as I'd rather see someone who needs it win it instead of me.

TC, I feel you were a bit harsh on your soap box, but that's just my opinion. :)

I'm really sorry for not applying. I never thought of it this way. I have a brand new sky caddie sgx I love so I didn't think should enter to win a gps that another forum member could benefit from. Ssme thing with shoes i just bought a brand new adidas tour 360 shoes, I saw most of those guys with their year old shoes and figured it would be rude of me to enter my shoes that were 3 months old. But i see the other side- and I will enter every contest I see thp put up.

As I lay in bed last night another thought occurred to me regarding forum participation, not just contests, but overall participation. This is without a doubt the busiest forum I have ever been a part of. For instance, this thread has existed for roughly 13.5 hours, and is already 6-pages and 80 responses long. I honestly have a hard time keeping up with everything here. After I check on threads that I am subscribed to, I usually click on "new posts". I occasionally go into the other sections and see threads that I completely missed, that are of interest to me.

JB, GG, and the entire THP staff should be extremely proud of this place. I cannot imagine the amount of work that happens behind the scenes, not to mention the amount of time posting responses to threads, and replying to PMs. I mean how do they even find time to golf?

Sorry, rambling a little.

I believe this is the best golf forum on the internet. To me what makes it special is not only the content, but the level of civil discourse the site maintains, i.e., no flaming allowed. People are allowed to entertain their opinions and people are free to agree to disagree...with civility, and even with humor.

Obviously the OEM's think that THP is a valuable too or they wouldn't inundate THP with equipment to review. Obviously the opinion of THP, and its members, is important to those that manufacture equipment.

That all said I don't think anyone should feel obligated to enter a contest. It is terrific that the manufacturers are willing to offer products for contests. Perhaps I'm wrong but please remember that it's a tax write off for them, the contest will generate buzz, and the ensuing review will offer valuable feedback to the manufacturer that has much more monetary value than the product itself (please remember the reviews we write are written from an average consumer's point of view and not a professional reviewer).

Personally I enjoy the contests, but will only enter those where I would benefit from the product. If I don't need the product I won't enter the contest as I'd rather see someone who needs it win it instead of me.

TC, I feel you were a bit harsh on your soap box, but that's just my opinion. :)

fair enough, and as i said in the OP, if you don't want to enter, then don't, but how about thanking the company for their generosity, or explain why one doesn't want to enter. the whole point of this thread wasn't to get people to "come clean" on why or why they don't enter contests.

let's just say that you own a golf related company and you send in a product to be given away for a contest and that product receives less comments and views than say the NFL thread in a given week? not good imo, b/c this isn't an NFL related website.

if i came across as harsh to you, then sorry, it wasn't my intent. however, i had to say what i had to say b/c it's how i feel and how i see things. the bottom line is, no one can change their stance(s) on contests and we'll simply see them go away. i don't think anyone wants that, even those who never enter them.

I don't think TC was being harsh at all. Maybe you have know him personally, but there's not much harshness in that big old head of his. I think the concern isn't that people aren't entering every single contest as much the poor participation in the last couple. Like has been said, find somebody to give the prize to if you don't need it. I can think of a few junior golfers (our winner was one of them) that would love a little gift like this. It's hard for a company to feel like they are generating buzz when they only see 20 or so people that are willing to get a free piece of equipment/footwear or root others on.

I don't think TC was being harsh at all. Maybe you have know him personally, but there's not much harshness in that big old head of his. I think the concern isn't that people aren't entering every single contest as much the poor participation in the last couple. Like has been said, find somebody to give the prize to if you don't need it. I can think of a few junior golfers (our winner was one of them) that would love a little gift like this. It's hard for a company to feel like they are generating buzz when they only see 20 or so people that are willing to get a free piece of equipment/footwear or root others on.

very well said hawk, especially the parts about me, haha.

i think you really portrayed what i've been trying to say. whether you want/need/care about a prize, just enter out of respect to THP and the participating company. it's not that hard.

I would have figured that participation would not have been an issue. Perhaps someone said it and I missed it, but maybe it's a promotional thing and people aren't seeing the contests. Maybe they aren't front and center to people who aren't as active?

I run into the contests and hot topics more because I follow THP on FB and twitter, so I never miss them, I just forget to enter sometimes.

If it's an item you don't want, enter anyway. You can give it back, create your own contest (which has been mentioned and done before) or just sell it. You won it, do with it what you want.

Maybe the next contest could be a mystery box and you don't know what you are competing for! It could end up being random crap from JB and GG's move!

I'm pretty much with the majority here in regards to the contests. Enter them or don't the participation needs to increase. I would hate to lose the ability to have contests just because of poor participation. I think us senior members also have to look at ourselves in regards to this as well. How can we help those who are either new or just not aware of these things. Like biggsy it's hard for me to miss a contest (FB, contest sidebar) so how can we get that message across to the community.

TC means well and sometimes he comes across as a little rough shod but he's got a big heart and sometimes between heart, brain, and mouth/hands the message gets intensified. TC, as the majority of us, love this place and would hate to see some parts of it go due to things like participation.

well, I think we are getting flooded with all of the internet contests/giveaways and people are missing the THP ones due to that. Or they just think its another internet giveaway. I dont enter a lot of those because I hate the spam. Maybe we shoud start a THP contest thread and an Internet site contest thread.

I was a bit surprised to hear that so few actually enter the contests. Most of the contests are barred for us non us residents(or canadian). I for one would gladly pay for the cost of shipping, just to be able to participate! Who cares what the contest contains, If you win something you don´t need - chances are you know someone who could benefit from your winnings(or start your own contest here on THP). My point is they are great fun and I would hate to see them end b/c lack of interest.

I guess you don´t miss things until they´re gone.......

I´ll get off my high horse for now:act-up:

well, I think we are getting flooded with all of the internet contests/giveaways and people are missing the THP ones due to that. Or they just think its another internet giveaway. I dont enter a lot of those because I hate the spam. Maybe we shoud start a THP contest thread and an Internet site contest thread.

I've been thinking the same thing, One-T. Seems like there have been a lot of them posted in the last month or so, almost every day. We've left them up but sometimes it seems a little "spammy" when someone posts more of these than regular posts.

I've been thinking the same thing, One-T. Seems like there have been a lot of them posted in the last month or so, almost every day. We've left them up but sometimes it seems a little "spammy" when someone posts more of these than regular posts.

right...well, I would love to see them seperated

I think those are just people trying to share the wealth, but I see your point that they get cluttered at times.

I can't understand the fact that if you are going to enjoy the site and participate in forums and searches why you couldn't take the small amount of time to enter the contests. Sure you can win merchandise, but the reviews and information are critical for the site to grow (in my opinion). Enter the contests.

I was revved for the shoe one last week, but I started reading through the entries and when I saw our eventual winners I went.." Crap, some one set their shoes on fire? How the heck do I beat that?!?!?!?! WHAT IS BETTER than FIRE!!!??

I then curled up into the fetal position. It felt like a 4 year old trying to score on Kevin Durant lol.

So for the next few contest I pledge, to enter...then read!!!

I thought Duey put forth a great effort in beating the fire, hehehehe.

fair enough, and as i said in the OP, if you don't want to enter, then don't, but how about thanking the company for their generosity, or explain why one doesn't want to enter. the whole point of this thread wasn't to get people to "come clean" on why or why they don't enter contests.

let's just say that you own a golf related company and you send in a product to be given away for a contest and that product receives less comments and views than say the NFL thread in a given week? not good imo, b/c this isn't an NFL related website.

if i came across as harsh to you, then sorry, it wasn't my intent. however, i had to say what i had to say b/c it's how i feel and how i see things. the bottom line is, no one can change their stance(s) on contests and we'll simply see them go away. i don't think anyone wants that, even those who never enter them.
Perhaps it's just me TC, but I felt like I was being lectured to (I found the wtf's especially offensive--not the language, the tone). And many of the posts that followed suggested a lot of guilt on the part of many of the members, which I found even more offensive, i.e., making folks feel guilty. Whether that was your intent or not is beside the point.

I enjoy the contests as much as anyone, and enjoy the creativity involved. For example, I thought Junior Lefty's submission for the Bushnell was brilliant. But I don't like being lectured to or berated about how I should approach contests, or anything else for that matter. I've paid too many dues to have to put up with that sh!t.

I don't disagree with the spirit of what you were trying to say, but I disagree with how you chose to say it.

Sorry if I'm a bit defensive. People have said that I don't know you. True enough. But folks don't know me either. :)

Perhaps it's just me TC, but I felt like I was being lectured to (I found the wtf's especially offensive--not the language, the tone). And many of the posts that followed suggested a lot of guilt on the part of many of the members, which I found even more offensive, i.e., making folks feel guilty. Whether that was your intent or not is beside the point.

I enjoy the contests as much as anyone, and enjoy the creativity involved. For example, I thought Junior Lefty's submission for the Bushnell was brilliant. But I don't like being lectured to or berated about how I should approach contests, or anything else for that matter. I've paid too many dues to have to put up with that sh!t.

I don't disagree with the spirit of what you were trying to say, but I disagree with how you chose to say it.

Sorry if I'm a bit defensive. People have said that I don't know you. True enough. But folks don't know me either. :)

ok.....here's the deal. we all enjoy THP for whatever reason(s), we all participate and are active and chit chat and get along, and obviously we choose to be here over many other forums out there. i think what you may not be understanding is that without the support of the companies who actively participate (THROUGH CONTESTS) there will be no THP. i don't want that, and i'm sure plenty of others don't want that.

i'm sorry if you felt guilty about not entering, i'm sorry if my brashness, honesty, and "to the point-ness" offended you, but i said what i had to say b/c i like it here, i don't want it to go away, i'm friends with JB and GG and many others here, i do what i can to help. like i said before, i think that not participating is a slap in the face to the relationships that THP has developed with the companies that make this place what it is.

Ok so all you unlucky suckers out there who are tired of not being picked to test or taking home the bacon, just take a few minutes to enter. You know after reading some of the statements about supporting the companies and not just our selfish (including me) things of interest, we should strive to enter all the contests. Until I read through this thread tonight, I gave no second thoughts about entering a contest to win something of no desire to me. Call it my ADD nature :O) or just being plain lazy, I was at the point of giving up interests in contest. Thanks to TC for showing me a different side of what these contests are more about, our forum health as a whole. It's not about what ole gray wants to win but the big pic. nuff said

Ok so all you unlucky suckers out there who are tired of not being picked to test or taking home the bacon, just take a few minutes to enter. You know after reading some of the statements about supporting the companies and not just our selfish (including me) things of interest, we should strive to enter all the contests. Until I read through this thread tonight, I gave no second thoughts about entering a contest to win something of no desire to me. Call it my ADD nature :O) or just being plain lazy, I was at the point of giving up interests in contest. Thanks to TC for showing me a different side of what these contests are more about, our forum health as a whole. It's not about what ole gray wants to win but the big pic. nuff said

thank you sir!!!

I think you both make a good point.
TC, I think you are trying to get the right message across but maybe in a little too aggressive of a fashion. A lot of people on this forum might not really realize just how much the contests are relied upon for THP's livelihood.

A manager once told me that you will get more response to an issue by practicing the phrase, "Educate, dont intimidate".

This is all "IMHO"....as always..
-bama-

Reactions: JB
Back