what part of your game are you working on?

Spent about an hour and a half working on the putting last night. Found a couple drills on the Seemore site so headed out to the driving range green. I have been struggling with squaring the face and my follow through. The two drills I worked on were:

Putting without your Thumbs off the grip taking slow and really feeling the club release and keeping the grip pressure light.

Second one I really like. I know when I have a good follow through it will be a good putt. Hit balls without a backswing from 2-3 feet and almost push the ball in the hole. Really helps me follow through and ensure its square at impact

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Lots of good work going on in here!

Mike, that's probably not a bad idea b/c you can still play the other courses, but the money you save on the club can go towards game improvement. I have to practice to get things to stick at this point. I think that's why I played well last week, but have sort of tapered off a bit. I was practicng twice a week there for a good while, but have sort of slacked.

Good work fellas. I really wish I had time to work on the things I need to. My game really suffers from it.

Spent about an hour and a half working on the putting last night. Found a couple drills on the Seemore site so headed out to the driving range green. I have been struggling with squaring the face and my follow through. The two drills I worked on were:

Putting without your Thumbs on the grip taking slow and really feeling the club release and keeping the grip pressure light.

Second one I really like. I know when I have a good follow through it will be a good putt. Hit balls without a backswing from 2-3 feet and almost push the ball in the hole. Really helps me follow through and ensure its square at impact

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

That's an interesting drill with the thumbs off the club, Putting is my next project and that seems like a great tip. Thanks.

I've always been flat and laid off Freddie, so he has me a little more upright in posture, butt out a little more, and the arms just a touch further away from my body than they have been in the past. This is allowing alittle more room for a clean uninhibited shoulder turn on the way back, and it also allows for more room on the downswing since I'm not swinging from the inside so much. As you say, hip to hip I've been able to make things work well for a long time, but I need a little more room now that I'm older and fatter lol. I know this doesn't make sense, but it just feels so much cleaner from start to finish, It's a bigger arc but more efficient if you understand what I'm saying.
sounds like a more straight back, slight arc move to me. As long as you keep that club I front of you you should have a baby draw, fall off the table fade or dead red straight. I like it, it's a good position to play from and yes I can see it producing more power just on the resistance of lower body to strong shoulder turn.

Lots of good work going on in here!

Mike, that's probably not a bad idea b/c you can still play the other courses, but the money you save on the club can go towards game improvement. I have to practice to get things to stick at this point. I think that's why I played well last week, but have sort of tapered off a bit. I was practicng twice a week there for a good while, but have sort of slacked.

yep, that was the thought process and there are a few places around that I can get a range pass for cheap that allows me to play cheap golf too if need be. With the memberships for the course Ive been consumed with just going out and playing and have seldomly hit the range, so hopefully working on the game over the winter will give me a better appreciation for the work needed to get done to improve my game all around.

It's a balancing act for sure, especially when your time is limited due to family and other obligations. I get in the same habit as you. It's just easy to head to the course when you aren't plunking down any money, but I'm much better off practicing at least one of those days.

Mainly working right now on putting the ball in the hole using as few strokes as possible. I've almost perfected using as many strokes as possible to get it in the hole though. Pretty proud of that though.

Tapatalking like a boss

I've been working on keeping my hand high and away from my right shoulder. I've also been working on controlling my right to left spin by keeping the ball right of all flags.

I've got to get better from 75-110 yards. Club wise its a jumbled mess for me which has led to zilch for confidence over a number I see a lot.

Walked 5 holes yesterday afternoon and 9 today. Due to weather, I just practiced hitting balls from different spots. For some reason they had our range shut down this weekend. I need to get some range time in soon to sort a couple things out.

Driver is ok if I keep my self a little more neutral. Too closed and I'm hitting low hooks. Most are playable, but it's an ugly shot.

Hybrids are the same. Low hooks if I get out of sorts, but nice ball flight otherwise. This is probably the worst I've hit my hybrids in a while and that's what I really want to focus on them if I ever get to the range again.

Irons and wedges are the stars right now somehow. Longer and more accurate than I've really been in the big picture. Even hitting full shots with the wedges to distances I haven't seen in a long long time. Mostly because I'm not scooping them I think. I would like to keep that going if possible.

Short game wedges are ok. Been better and been worse. Need to work on that too.

It's slow at work and that leads to me going back through my card from yesterday. This hole was a blessing and curse, it killed me score wise but motivated me to play the game differently. Instead of forcing I took what the course and conditions allowed.

All that said, I am completely confused on how to play this hole. It is 444 yards and I really can't see taking less than driver off the tee. Something about it just messes with my head big time.

hole 4.jpg

Where's a good driver put you, SW?

I play it at the bunker on the left. That allows for plenty of room to fade, if it goes straight I'll flirt with that bunker and left is still ok unless it's a hook. I had like 168 in yesterday, 180ish last time and walked away with bogey both times.

If you draw a line form the 2nd bunker on the right to the last palm on the left that's right around 150 in.

Well, it definitely fits your shot shape. I think it sounds like you're playing it fine. A hole that long is almost always a par 5 for me. In my mind at least. I wouldn't be above laying up on it to be honest. Probably try to put one about 75 yards out if the approach is too long.

You know, Hawk I thought about that yesterday, especially with the wind. I feel pretty confident that with a 54* from 40-60 yards I can get in one putt range. Even still there is some little demon in my head that talks me out of playing the hole that way. It makes sense though, if I'm averaging bogey I'm not doing not something right.

Thanks for the advice Hawk.

Well, I wouldn't be too down on it. It looks like a hard hole and some of them just end up being bogey holes.

There are a couple on my course that I play as a 5 unless I hit a perfect drive. I just know that I'm risking a big number if I play certain approach shots, but I can lay up to somewhere where I can at least have a par putt. Doesn't always work, but I'm not doubling them nearly as much as I used to.

I am getting ready to spend lots of time with some wedges and try to get myself a short game!

really trying to straighten out my driver

I thought I needed to do the same but if I have to play the fade and can keep it in the fairway....I don't mind.

Working on more hip rotation on my back-swing to get more coil and work less....Easier said than done! lol

Third lesson in with the new instructor and really making some good progress . Swing is more vertical now where before was typically around 28 degree plane now I'm about 38 and consistently hitting it. Compressing the ball much better and finally getting away from the thin shots I was notorious for hitting . Struggling with swinging left after impact since I have swung to the same finish for a long time now and is pretty ingrained . Luckily he is a seasoned pro and knows multiple ways to skin a cat .also loved the fact that he worked with me for about 1.5 hours for a half hour lesson . he also told me he wants to work half short game half full swing next time since he saw me warming up chipping and said my technique needs a little tweak. Should help my scores so I'm all for it!

im working on "stalling" at the top of my swing
my transition is bad and i tend to over rotate if i dont consciously try to pause between the back and the down swing

What are the bad things that come from your over rotation, Russ? It's a mixture of weaker shots and unpredictable shots shapes in my world. If I can really focus on keepng it more compact I'm so much better off.

Heading up to talk to my instructor tomorrow. I think I'll sign up for another 6 hours of lessons (12 of them) for the winter time. Kind of pricey, but the results showed this year and I'd sure like to keep going in the right direction if I can.

Back