What TV are you watching all your golf on?

I'd also like to add that in my short life of almost 21 years, I have NEVER seen anything in 3D. No movies, no TV, nothing. Is it pretty cool? Like should I be trying to see the next movie I watch in 3D?

I think it's definitely worth a go. It's just so different than what's out there that it brings a new angle to the movie watching experience. A word of caution though before going to watch a movie in 3D, there are some movies that are fully shot in 3D (Avatar, Harry Potter) and there are some that are re-engineered for 3D (Clash of the Titans) and some have said that the difference in depth perception and full 3D visuals between the two are worlds apart. If it's your first time out definitely go with the movie that's shot in 3D.

All my golf is watched on a Samsung 46 LCD. Can't remember the contrast ratio, but it was good in it's day (around 2 years old). Would live to invest in a 3D tv. Had a demo down at the store a few months back and it was amazing, not like the rubbish you get at the cinema. I would love to see Augusta in full 3D splendor just so I could see those mad greens as they were supposed to be seen.

A 27" JVC D-Series from about 2002 with bunny ears!

[Will be watching this thread for a common trend of TV brands and specs so I can splurge and buy a big *** TV]

I think it's definitely worth a go. It's just so different than what's out there that it brings a new angle to the movie watching experience. A word of caution though before going to watch a movie in 3D, there are some movies that are fully shot in 3D (Avatar, Harry Potter) and there are some that are re-engineered for 3D (Clash of the Titans) and some have said that the difference in depth perception and full 3D visuals between the two are worlds apart. If it's your first time out definitely go with the movie that's shot in 3D.

Thanks for that info Spank. I'm gonna look into watching the new Harry Potter in 3D!

In my room I have a 32 inch LCD at 720p/1080i. The refresh rate is okay, the contrast is mediocre.
In the living room we have a 47 inch running at full 1080p, with much better contrast and refresh, though I cannot remember the exact numbers.

I have come to the conclusion that, barring catastrophic failure of my current TV, I am gonna wait till OLED screens become affordable before I buy a new one.

We only have 1 TV in our apartment, it's a Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080 HD, 50" plasma. We got it 2.5 years ago, and we won't be getting rid of it for a few years, no big reason to upgrade in my mind. At the time, it was a top of the line plasma, and I was bugged by motion lag on LCDs.

[Will be watching this thread for a common trend of TV brands and specs so I can splurge and buy a big *** TV]

One of the best analog tv's for the money back in the day, IMO. I used to sell the hell out of that TV back in the day and honestly all I had to do was demo the TV and it basically sold itself.

Thanks for that info Spank. I'm gonna look into watching the new Harry Potter in 3D!

That's definitely something to watch in 3D. Not a big fan of the HP series but that's something I can definitely see going out and watching in 3D just for the visuals.

50" Panasonic Viera 1080p plasma in my Living Room
42" Samsung in Loft
37" Vizio LCD in Master Bedroom

Were the glasses on the thicker side that requires batteries? If so they the active type and there has been reports on that happening (not uncommon). They say that the passive types are much better since there's less instance of it happening plus the glasses are cheaper, less bulky, and lighter. There's talk that they want to standardize 3D viewing from an equipment aspect and they are leaning towards that type of tech.

Yea they were, I know they've gotten better. But it will take a while for her to be convinced to try that again.

I just cant wait until we get our basement back together, because that means we get to start pricing & looking at either a 1080p projector or a 55-60" TV. At this point I'm thinking the projector would be a better investment. That was a project we started 2 months ago and its been studs & bare concrete floor since, as work & the upcoming wedding gets closer.

42" Panasonic Viera in the bedroom and a 40" Sony LCD in the living room.

Yea they were, I know they've gotten better. But it will take a while for her to be convinced to try that again.

I just cant wait until we get our basement back together, because that means we get to start pricing & looking at either a 1080p projector or a 55-60" TV. At this point I'm thinking the projector would be a better investment. That was a project we started 2 months ago and its been studs & bare concrete floor since, as work & the upcoming wedding gets closer.

If you want to convince her to go for 3D then look at the passive types of 3DTV's. That should take the headache factor out of the equation. Take her to a demo at the local BB and just ask a salesperson there to point you at the right direction.

That's a nice project though no matter how long it takes. Remember... wiring, wiring, wiring. Once you get that drywall up... :D

Good luck on the wedding and maybe you guys can buy yourselves that huge tv as a wedding present.

If you want to convince her to go for 3D then look at the passive types of 3DTV's. That should take the headache factor out of the equation. Take her to a demo at the local BB and just ask a salesperson there to point you at the right direction.

That's a nice project though no matter how long it takes. Remember... wiring, wiring, wiring. Once you get that drywall up... :D

Good luck on the wedding and maybe you guys can buy yourselves that huge tv as a wedding present.

Oh we're not looking to get a 3d TV. It was just b/c my friend had it so we watched a movie.

I'm looking forward to getting the basement laid out for wiring. I'm going 12ga to installed speaker jacks to a custom HT rack. We bought this house about 2 years ago, its a 1920's style craftsman. The first thing I did was pull out all of the old existing rg59 and replaced it with good quality quad shielded RG6, compression connections. A direct feed off the fios brain under my kitchen to a 4 point splitter in the basement that feeds the whole house. Then a feed to the loft with 1 tv & the modem. A feed for the bedroom and a feed for the living room. Once I get the basement completed again Ill likely add a splitter in the loft and pull one of 2 feeds to handle the basement.

Our first floor living room system is all 12ga too, rear speakers cable pulled through the basement ceiling and back up through some old radiator water line holes in the floor.

47 Inch LG LCD Internet Connected TV in the living room
32 Inch LG LCD TV in the bedroom
22 Inch Vizio LCD TV in the kids room
37 Inch Vizio and Mitsubishi HD Projector and 102" Electronic Drop down screen in the cave

I have a friend with a 3d TV. My fiance has contacts/glasses, she had her contacts in and we watched a movie over there one night after the 4 of us went out to dinner and after about 30minutes she had a killer headache from the glasses.

I have this problem myself, but I think it does come down to a lot of different things mostly the glasses. Brightness in the room and settings of the screen are big factors too.

Yeah that's huge, I agree completely with JB in the thought that some are just interested in seeing things "pop out" at them and others in the true "depth of field" that 3D can bring.

Having owned a Samsung it was great. Very durable (with the exception of the toy launched at it!) and we didn't notice any decline in brightness or other issues after almost 4 years. Now with our Vizio, I'm thoroughly impressed though its been a rather short time. But for the price thus far Vizio has definitely blown me away.

Having owned a Samsung it was great. Very durable (with the exception of the toy launched at it!) and we didn't notice any decline in brightness or other issues after almost 4 years. Now with our Vizio, I'm thoroughly impressed though its been a rather short time. But for the price thus far Vizio has definitely blown me away.

Good to know! My friends have the last generation of Samsung projection TVs, and they are great. Definitely high on my list

One of the best analog tv's for the money back in the day, IMO. I used to sell the hell out of that TV back in the day and honestly all I had to do was demo the TV and it basically sold itself.
We do love the sound quality. Unfortunately, due to the aspect ratio and such, it makes playing xbox a pain since you can't really fit everything on the screen, and it appears very small.
How are the new thin TVs for sound? As in: If I were to buy a nice big TV, would I also have to buy a nice big sound system right away to enjoy it? [obviously a wicked thumping sound system would be in the cards since more I want my surround sound golf!]

Got a 50" Panasonic Viera plasma last year for the basement living room and that is where I watch golf. It was a tough choice but ultimately I went with the plasma because I also watch lots of movies and just couldn't settle for how LCD's and LED's looked on movies with the conversion rate creating the "soap opera effect". I think LCD/LED w/ 120hz or higher might have a slight edge on plasmas for sports due to the brightness, but it wasn't close on movies.

BTW-fellow TV buff after starting my career with Circuit City. Caught the bug and never lost it.

If I'm layin' on the couch, a 42" Vizio LED/LCD (great picture). If I'm smokin' cigars, a 40" Samsung (also a great picture). Just wish The Golf Channel would broadcast in 1080.

How would this TV make golf tournaments look?
Panasonic 58” Plasma 3D TV ( PACKAGE!!!!) ALL BRAND NEW STILL IN THE BOX: Panasonic Package includes: 58’ Plasma TV, 1080p, 3D, VieraCast, 3D audio, 600 Hz, 2 Pairs of 3D Glasses, 3D Blue-Ray Player, 3 Movies in 3D Avatar, 3D (not yet released), Coraline and Ice Age 3 in 3D, ! Cash only, Pick up only, E mail if interested $2800

I'm assuming it is this one:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=85476a7273ac86c38404f8e877a320d3en02

How are the new thin TVs for sound? As in: If I were to buy a nice big TV, would I also have to buy a nice big sound system right away to enjoy it? [obviously a wicked thumping sound system would be in the cards since more I want my surround sound golf!]

In a phrase... not that great. You don't have to go balls out for great sound. Many of the HTIB's (Home theater in a box) out there are sufficient and can give you that surround sound experience. Can you get carried away? Absolutely. But if you are price conscious and know what you want then sky is the limit for home audio.

Also for those posting in this thread looking for deals, wait until Memorial Day and July 4th for the price reductions. Do your research now, and see what's out there around your price point. There can be deals to be had now (mostly last year's models and open box). But retailers now are gearing up for those two days.

Also for those posting in this thread looking for deals, wait until Memorial Day and July 4th for the price reductions. Do your research now, and see what's out there around your price point. There can be deals to be had now (mostly last year's models and open box). But retailers now are gearing up for those two days.

That was our plan too, but keep in mind with CES ending and many new models hitting store floors over the last 2 weeks, there are tons of closeouts to be had. Our deal was incredible because of that.

58 inch Samsung Plasma 2010 model, and in the man cave it is a 42 inch Panasonic Vierra Plasma that has been calibrated. Both are 1080P

46" Insignia (best Buy house brand) LED 1080p. Love the picture, it's basically the same thing as the samsung model, just rebadged. In the bedroom I have a 32" Insignia LCD 720p. When the wife and I finally get around to selling this place, after I find a way to make up the hole I'm in for the value, I'm getting a minimum of 60" for the family room and will move the 46 to the bedroom, while the 32 goes in the office. HD box on the big one, no box on the smaller, but can still get in the main channels in HD so i can watch my CBS or NBC broadcast in HD when the kids and wife commandeer the big tv.

46" Insignia (best Buy house brand) LED 1080p. Love the picture, it's basically the same thing as the samsung model, just rebadged.

I was under the impression that Insignia was a brand that was made of a combo of components from Sharp and Proview (Polaroid).

I was under the impression that Insignia was a brand that was made of a combo of components from Sharp and Proview (Polaroid).

Who really knows. I've heard a lot about Samsung making them, Sharp, and LG. Who knows who really does, its all conjecture from what I've seen so far. But the rumors seem to most strongly point to Sharp.

Back