Would you play Chambers Bay?

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
I guess most of us watched the pros play the Open on the Chambers Bay course. I also think most would agree that it is a rather difficult track. I think it should have a sign much like Bethpage Black. "If you aren't that good, don't even try". Based on its published rates, based on residence, time of year and advanced booking, the rates could be $150 to $300 before local taxes. Let's assume as an out of state resident, the fee would be $250. Would you pay and play. Personally, I don't want to pay to run such a gauntlet, it just don't think it would be any fun, even though it hosted an Open.

I have and enjoyed it.
I would not want to play with those green conditions, but they were nicer for me.
I paid nowhere near $300 either.

If I was in the area I would.

I wouldnt make a trip out there to just play that 1 and then come back

Without a doubt I would play it.

Would love to get out there and give it a go!

If I were a better player, and I mean a 5 or lower handicap, I would consider it. It's a tough question, simply because of the difficulty combined with the price. As the HH I am, no way.

Yep, I'd play it, and if I broke 100, I'd feel really good about myself.

~Rock

White tees son. I'd play it any day.

sure ... what the heck

same answer... unless its for a THP event

White tees son. I'd play it any day.

I'll have to play red, driver distance is supposed to be 200-225 for whites

Unless I get that Tour roll!

I would play it under normal conditions. Under US Open conditions, nope. I will save my frustrations.

I would not pay $250 to play there. That being said, I don't have anything against the course, there are very few courses I would pay that much to play and this is not one of them.

If all goes right with my plan, I will be playing it next year in July. Can't wait to see this layout first hand.

Yes. Playing Chambers with greens that were under control, looks to me like it would be a lot of fun.

I guess most of us watched the pros play the Open on the Chambers Bay course. I also think most would agree that it is a rather difficult track. I think it should have a sign much like Bethpage Black. "If you aren't that good, don't even try". Based on its published rates, based on residence, time of year and advanced booking, the rates could be $150 to $300 before local taxes. Let's assume as an out of state resident, the fee would be $250. Would you pay and play. Personally, I don't want to pay to run such a gauntlet, it just don't think it would be any fun, even though it hosted an Open.

I would play in a heartbeat, of course I'll wait for the greens to heal before I drop that kind of coin on it.

But I have never thought it was on overly hard course in its normal day to day setup. I'd be interested to heard THPers who have played its thoughts on its difficulty.

According to the USGA, Bethpage Black is a much harder course per rating and slope.

For free? Sure. More than $80? Nah.

Not for $250. I'll play anywhere for free.

I have played it twice and paid just over $100 on both instances. And I'd do it again. It is a really fun course and a breathtakingly gorgeous place to play golf. Yes it is difficult, but played from the right tees it is actually very approachable as there are few forced carries - I believe the front set of tees takes them all out of play except for shorter ones on the par 3's. Especially once they get the greens back in normal shape, it's definitely a fun day of golf.

However, I would absolutely not pay anywhere near $300 or even $200. Crazy talk IMO.

Lots of other great tracks in the area, problem solved! :D

Heck yes I would play it. As a matter of fact, I had it on a list of places to play a couple of years ago. I was planning a trip up through that area but something called the Bridgestone Championship took away that trip:D. I actually flew into Spokane last week just to play one of my bucket list courses.

easy, make it one hell of a trip, Chambers bay and then the 6 hour drive to Bandon.

Nope. I'd take the extra time and go enjoy other courses in the area .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back