Air installed Lamkin REL 3Gen grips

sharkwrestler

One bad arse Dude
Reaction score
Handicap
Here's a short video to watch that will show you how easy it is to install a Grip using compressed air to slip the grip onto the club shaft.

Reactions: J4U
lmao!!!!!!!!! shark, man i can't believe that grip blew up on you how big did it get? like a balloon?

i never even heard of using painters tape before either. Good Video though. i think i'll stick with my old school method of mineral oil and some muscle.

I'm glad you shared this Shark, thanks! I did the solvent/tape method tonight on the same grips tonight, and it looks like your process is much easier! I would have personal concerns with non-taped grips and them somehow flinging off the club during a swing, despite how unrealistic that is.

I was getting ready to ask whether you've had any grips blow up and you showed the Titleist grip haha, awesome!

lmao!!!!!!!!! shark, man i can't believe that grip blew up on you how big did it get? like a balloon?

i never even heard of using painters tape before either. Good Video though. i think i'll stick with my old school method of mineral oil and some muscle.

I air everything with the pure gun. Can do a full set in about 10 minutes tops. Never had an issue thank goodness. The gun helps a lot.

Great video man. That looks super easy, I should really invest in an air compressor.

Oh, I made something for you quick.

Great video man. That looks super easy, I should really invest in an air compressor.

That still makes me crack up.

I air everything with the pure gun. Can do a full set in about 10 minutes tops. Never had an issue thank goodness. The gun helps a lot.

can you still use double sided tape? or shouldn't you with the air gun?

Very cool thanks for posting that. Going to have to give that a try next time.

Nice video quality. What did you shoot it with?

A few suggestions if you don't mind....

Use a needle that is used to inflate basketballs in the end of the air gun. It will help regulate the air pressure.

Place just a touch of mineral spirits on the very butt end of the tape. It will help start the grip and it will slide on much easier.

Clamp the shaft closer to the end of the butt. It will make it much more stable and easier to slide the grip on. I clamp mine just slightly above the end of the grip.

hackin

Jim, thanks for the video buddy. You
Look like you've smoked many a butt in that tshirt

Question,

The tape was dry correct and not lubed? You basically just used air and slid the grip over the dry tape?

Wow thanks for posting that Shark. That looks too easy. I should get an air compressor one of these days.

Jake you are awesome I'm glad your voice has recovered. hehe
I wish I could make it out for the Tour Van Stop in your area Bro.
Lot's of fun hanging with you and the group of Morgan Cup Star's.

That did look easy shark. What type of needle is that? Could you post a picture of it. Or the exact name so I can try this. What were you using to hold the club in the grip? It looked rubber. How do you know that the club is lined up where it should be to have he grip on right? I have the compressor and that air tool you had. But not the needle.

Great vid! That looks super easy

Question,

The tape was dry correct and not lubed? You basically just used air and slid the grip over the dry tape?

Def dry tape I used 3M painters tape. I messed with the double sided it's a no go for me. It was impossible to slip over I think I may have mentioned that the audio isn't always the best on a flip camera

Jim, thanks for the video buddy. You
Look like you've smoked many a butt in that tshirt

yo Bro it was hotter than...you know what I mean I don't have AC in the shop right now.hehe

I unknowing tried the double sided Buck it doesn't let the grip slide on at least not for me. Masking tape or like I used the 3M painters tape works great.

To get the end to start to slip a little spit or a dash of H2O will get the grip to start sliding on it's way.

Thanks to Cool breeze for letting me check out his rad. Lamkin REL 3gen grips at the Morgan cup these grips work great.
Tonight's round I had no problems with grippage during my round a nice even score was carded.

That's an awesome little video Shark! But damn that other video cracked me up!! I just ordered some new grips so I'll deff do the same thing as you thanks for the tips

Need to get me a compressor and a puregrip gun....wasnt aware that air could be used for any grips....guess I thought there was something special about the pure grips that allowed that to work.

Jake, that still makes me laugh and everytime I see Jim post I hear you in my head...LOL

Nice job Shark! I have always just used the PURE gun but great to see the needle as I have one of those also. Thanks for posting that.

I got the Pure grips and I'm going to put on a grip Sat. I would love it if I could use regular grip with the air set-up.
JB, do you put any tape on the shaft when you do regular grips that aren't the Pure grips?

Shark I really like the air compressor method! the grip blowing up seems a bit scary haha

That did look easy shark. What type of needle is that? Could you post a picture of it. Or the exact name so I can try this. What were you using to hold the club in the grip? It looked rubber. How do you know that the club is lined up where it should be to have he grip on right? I have the compressor and that air tool you had. But not the needle.

Hey BF I'll take a picture this evening and post it in the thread.
As far as lining the club up it's more or less what you prefer to see on the grip and it's real easy to adjust with the shaft secured in the vise just apply the air in the end and twist the grip to what suits your eye.

Also for everyone that's removing old grips it's safest to just cut them off.

I was experimenting with the air gun to see how hard it was to take off the Old grips with air.
As you may have been able to see in the video it can get dangerous if their stuck on well.

You can use double sided tape, you just need a little bit of spirits and you'll be good to go. However this almost means you'll need to cut the grip off or get that removal tool instead of just blowing it off.

It depends on the grip though if you need double sided or not. For example, Pure grips are made so that you don't need tape to make the grip not slip so you can use Painters tape or any other 1 sided tape you'd like to build up the grip. You can do this same thing with any other grip, but it may not "stick" to the shaft as well, allowing the grip to slip side to side or up and down possibly. All depends on how the grip is made.

What did you have your compressor set to for output psi?

Back