Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

As for places having these, I went by Golf Galaxy the other day. They looked at there sheet and said they will have them late this week but are not supposed to start selling until the 25th. I call horse shizz, I will have one this weekend!

Hey guys! Just got done playing 18 with the CG Black so I wanted to write a bit about how it went. It was a nice day but somehow managed to always have the wind in my face when there was any. I am sorry that I have no pictures/video and I couldnt do a comparison with this and my R9 but the course was just too crowded to hit 2 shots off the tee or take pictures/video.

First off I just want to say that I woke up sore/stiff and ended up not swinging 100% because of the pain. Started on the tips and decided to move up a tee after the front 9 to speed things up. First 9 I used a TM Penta

Hole 1 - 364 yards - Took a very light swing because I didnt know what to expect and put a perfect drive dead center fairway 214 yards (wind in face)
Hole 2 - 369 yards - Tried to swing a bit harder and was standing too close to the ball. Hit it off the heel and managed to end up only going 170 yards rolling through rough most of the way (no wind)
Hole 4 - 426 yards - I went back to my "go to" shot off the tee and hit a light fade to get around the dogleg but it got caught up in the rough and finished on the front of the fairway 220 yards (no wind)
Hole 6 - 389 yards - Stayed with the light swing to get used to the driver and hit a beauty 240 yards out dead center of the fairway that was literally right on the 150 stake (no wind)
Hole 7 - 548 yards - Tried to unload on the par 5 and hit the ball a bit high with a stronger then wanted fade 210 yards
Hole 8 - 370 yards - Hit a low draw that caught the rough on the left side and got no roll for a total of 210 yards (that one backfired on me lol)
Hole 9 - 410 yards - Hit a great tee shot but it ended up a bit high and with a fade so it stopped at 230 yards

This is where I switched tees since the back 9 is a heck of a lot longer and we had to wait 20 minutes to hit (after I went and was able to get a sandwich). Overall the front 9 wasn't good from the tee to the green so I decided to clear my head and "start over" on the back. I was afraid to hit the ball because I didnt know what to expect from the ball flight so I wasn't seeing the distance I was hoping to get (This club is still giving me longer drives then my SuperTri was last time I played) Second 9 I used a B300-RX (in pink :p)

Hole 10 - 360 yards - 80% swing to start and ended up pulling my drive a bit left and it was caught on the left fairway rough but ended up 220 yards.
Hole 11 - 377 yards - Hit the ball perfectly and my friend looked at me and said "I like that ball flight for you" ball ended up hitting a hill I was trying to carry and stopping at 240 yards in the fairway (should have been 260)
Hole 13 - 513 yards - Another great drive but it landed in a fairway grass bunker and stopped at 240 with no roll but dead on where I was aiming (slight wind in my face)
Hole 14 - 348 yards - A hole that is narrow with water right and the people with us decided not to hit driver. I chose to hit it and blasted one dead center of the fairway 266 yards (slight wind in my face)
Hole 16 - 547 yards - A really tough par 5 that forces a fade around trees to avoid bunkers. I hit a great fade that ended up going 255 yards exactly where I wanted it
Hole 17 - 397 yards - It was getting dark so we were kind of rushing. I hit a light shot with a strong fade (very close to a slice :S) and put one in the fairway only 200 yards out.
Hole 18 - 436 yards (Back Tee) - It was very dark at this point so I decided to take my time and just try to hit a good shot. Hit an unknown Top Flight ball dead center 240 yards (it was getting colder and it was a top flight so I assume that is where the distance was lost because the shot felt amazing)

Overall I really wasn't able to hit the ball hard today being that sore and so I was just trying to get a feel for it but on the few holes I did go after it I found great results. The weighing of this club is just perfect and after I adjusted my feet I never even realized that I was playing a longer driver then I normally do. The shaft seems a bit flexible but during the swing it holds up well and is easy to load. My buddy commented a few times that he really liked the ball flight I was getting compared to what he usually sees with my R9 and said the driver sounded amazing. The thing is so easy to swing because of the weight but it doesn't get out of control like other light/long drivers I have used. When I swung hard and made good contact I had it going almost 270 (I haven't been able to get my R9 that far ever) Accuracy was still there and there were only a few shots where it didnt go where I wanted it to. Still impressed after only my second time hitting balls with it (first on the course having to deal with nerves and needing to place a ball somewhere)

I am excited to take this thing out next week since I plan on playing a lot and I feel like I still haven't unlocked my potential distance with it.

Last edited:
Concept, that is a great writeup. I like how you talked about not getting out of control with the driver, especially with the difference you are experiencing in weighting.

Quick question, even with the driver being significantly lighter than what you are used to, is it something you notice during your swing?

Concept, that is a great writeup. I like how you talked about not getting out of control with the driver, especially with the difference you are experiencing in weighting.

Quick question, even with the driver being significantly lighter than what you are used to, is it something you notice during your swing?

I noticed that I don't feel like I have to rush through the swing once I get to the top if that makes sense. I have a tendency to "jump" on a swing and so far this club is helping me slow things down. I definitely feel more control with this from the take away and its helped build a bit of confidence I lost off the tee.

Very good results considering the cirumstances, c0ncept! I'll be watching your thoughts closely since we both played the same driver. The comment your friend made about liking the ballflight has me all ears dude. I'm so interested in this right now that I can't stand it.

Another good write up Concept. I'm really interested in all your findings, as I'm still loving the SL290 and this driver may be a good fit for me.

Nice writeup cOncept! I want to hit this driver so bad.

I noticed that I don't feel like I have to rush through the swing once I get to the top if that makes sense. I have a tendency to "jump" on a swing and so far this club is helping me slow things down. I definitely feel more control with this from the take away and its helped build a bit of confidence I lost off the tee.
It does make sense. Seems that it has helped you have a bit smoother tempo during your swing, and has made your transition at the top smooth out some.

Great write up c0ncept! Really great to hear that you are getting results so soon after putting it in play. I hope it keeps improving next time out!

Thanks guys! Next time I go out I am going to try to step on it more and see how much distance I can actually squeeze out of this thing and hopefully hit it side by side with my R9.

Nice writeup c0ncept! This driver keeps sounding better and better! Thanks for the great info!

DD, I'm 6'4" built like a down lineman ... well, a retired down lineman. (working on that) This is the first longer shaft that I have really taken a liking to. My good swing-barely miss tends to be less than a half inch towards the heel. Honestly, what started as a half inch on Friday turned into a quarter inch today. I think putting down the R7 (an inch shorter shaft) and committing to the CG Black Driver will be fine. Remember, I've only had two sessions hitting the Black - range Friday and on-course today - certainly not a statistically relavant sample. Missing the center, I think, can be attributed to needing a small stance adjustment I haven't made part of my routine. I would not want to mess with the shaft dynamics on the Miyazaki shaft. In my limited experience with longer and lighter drivers, this Miyazaki is something special.

I will follow you very closely in this review, I am 6-4 also so I am very interested in your findings.

First impression time!! So a little brown box showed up today at the office, it was ultralight and packed with technology. All giddy to try out this new club I rushed off to the driving range as soon as the day ended to get to know this new addition to my bag.

Went the outdoor range closest to me but after about 6 swings I realized that even in November the humidity can be oppressive. Off to pga superstore and some sweet air conditioning.

As we've all seen already the black is an extremely good looking driver. The black frames the ball incredibly well at address and makes the clubhead look even sleeker. The C. Kua shaft is a thing of beauty, a visually appealing yet not distracting paint scheme. The grip is very good feeling for a stock grip, surprisingly good feel. I didn't notice it to be lacking in anyway today.

Before I move onto performance I want to share a little about my game. It's no secret that I have fits with the driver, sometimes its great and I can draw or fade with no issues, other times I literally have no clue where the ball is going to go. Not a great feeling when standing over a ball. I typically play for a fade, some days that fade can be a little stronger. I typically average around 100 mph swing speed, topping out at 106 when I go all out.

Took a few swings with a 58* to loosen up then dove into the black testing.

As others have mentioned in this thread and others a good tempo brings out the power in this club. Keeping this in mind I started off with some light swings, just getting the feel of the club. The weight honestly isn't noticeable after just a few swings, the balance is just that good. I never found myself loosing track of the club throughout the swing or feeling like it was too light.

Steadily picking up confidence and swing speed I began to see the launch monitor numbers reflect what I was feeling in my hands.*note the swing speed measurement was acting up tonight, not consistently registering*

Once I was feeling confident to start tracking numbers to share here I took a 10 shot average.

aefca982-e949-2acf.jpg

aefca982-ee78-fab5.jpg

A little shorter than normal, but its ok since this was really my first time with this club. As you can see the dispersion was side to side pretty evenly. That was a reassuring thing as I worried a little about the lightness of the shaft creating a fade bias. Those shots were not different swings, I tried my best to make identical swings each time to remove as much variance as possible.

How does the shaft and head combo relate to shot height? Some mentioned concerns with ballooning. I looked for that as well.

aefca982-ea9c-aa80.jpg

I'll take that ball flight everyday. It's a touch higher than what I'm used to but wasn't falling out of the sky either. I liked the rise I was seeing, of course I will confirm that later this week with some outdoor practice and play.

I did notice the backspin numbers were a little high, up in the low 4000's so that is a little concerning. I checked my swing on video and didn't notice a severely descending blow. These monitors can get a little off so I will pay close attention in the coming days to see how the ball reacts after hitting the fairway.

I did notice that I can not go after a swing with this club from the top. No matter how slow my tempo gets or how I pause at the top, a hard swing from the top down resulted in a huge fade everytime. Of course swinging hard from the top isn't always a good thing, but its just something I noticed an wanted to share. Found that a slight set at the top followed by a controlled acceleration created much better results. Swinging easier with this driver was giving me more distance and most importantly more accuracy than I'm used to.

There were some questions asked earlier in this thread, tomorrow I will go back and try to answer those with the information I have so far. If there is something in particular you want to know or wish me to focus on more please ask.

So I woke up this morning and found a nice big Cleveland/Sxrixon package outside my front door. My testing has officially begun. Yeah I’m sort of excited! Ripped open the box and the first thought that jumped into my head:

Wow that is a nice headcover! Yeah I know kind of a crazy first thought but I’m just trying to be honest. It’s a really cool headcover. They’ve got a suede/faux leather type look going on that is very cool. The strap to take it off has BLACK written on it and the hand easily gets inside to pull it off. This headcover is possibly the easiest to take off of a driver that I’ve ever used. Very easy to pull off and to put back on. I love it!

The grip. It’s pretty nice. Feels like a textured tour velvet. One thing that I really like about the grip is that it has 2 arrows that point downward. This makes it easy for me to take my grip and know that the club head is in the proper position. Really like that.

The shaft is beautiful. A nice black color with the Miyazaki logo in white with some lightning bolt like graphic. There is a little bit of blue as well. Looks really cool. It’s a Limited Edition 39S(stiff) shaft with a .350 tip and weighs 47 grams. Looking down toward the bottom and I see the International Flex Code is 4212. Reading the website and I see that the normal C Kua 39S has an IFC of 6424. In fact I read the great PDF that Ary posted a few days ago and the only shaft that comes close in terms of IFC is the regular C Kua in regular flex which is 5212. My favorite shaft I’ve ever played is a 70 gram Daimana Kai’li which is a 5545. What does all that mean? No clue. This is what Cleveland has to say:

Golf’s Most Precise Shaft Fitting
Our patent pending measurement and analysis process determines the local bending and torsional flex at all points along the shaft and then summarizes the stiffness relative to traditional measurements by assigning a 4 digit code to each shaft for both bending and torsional stiffness
1[SUP]st[/SUP]#= Butt stiffness
2[SUP]nd[/SUP]#= Mid-Butt stiffness
3[SUP]rd[/SUP]#= Mid-Tip stiffness
4[SUP]th[/SUP]#= Tip Stiffness

Finally we reach the head. The crown is a nice deep black which is what a driver should be. Looking closely at it I can see some speckles in the paint. Really just a nice color that my eyes find pleasing. At address the driver sits neutral to maybe slightly closed. When fiddling with adjustable drivers I always put the driver at slightly closed so the Cleveland Black is perfect to me at address. The face is also black which I also like. I don’t like when the crown and face are 2 separate colors. I find that distracting. The sole is pretty cool. Almost has a slight V shape toward the back of it. Cool CG logo in silver and the rest of the lettering is blacked out with the 265 in white. The weight insert in the back is different. Can’t tell you how they get that weight in or out as there is no discernable head to screw into.

So the total package is awesome. No complaints from a pure aesthetic standpoint. The head is everything I like in a driver. The shaft looks great and the grip which is usually the first thing someone will rip is actually very nice. This club just screams murder golf balls.

Pictures will be taken tomorrow morning when I have some natural light and added to this post

First impression time!! So a little brown box showed up today at the office, it was ultralight and packed with technology. All giddy to try out this new club I rushed off to the driving range as soon as the day ended to get to know this new addition to my bag.

Went the outdoor range closest to me but after about 6 swings I realized that even in November the humidity can be oppressive. Off to pga superstore and some sweet air conditioning.

As we've all seen already the black is an extremely good looking driver. The black frames the ball incredibly well at address and makes the clubhead look even sleeker. The C. Kua shaft is a thing of beauty, a visually appealing yet not distracting paint scheme. The grip is very good feeling for a stock grip, surprisingly good feel. I didn't notice it to be lacking in anyway today.

Before I move onto performance I want to share a little about my game. It's no secret that I have fits with the driver, sometimes its great and I can draw or fade with no issues, other times I literally have no clue where the ball is going to go. Not a great feeling when standing over a ball. I typically play for a fade, some days that fade can be a little stronger. I typically average around 100 mph swing speed, topping out at 106 when I go all out.

Took a few swings with a 58* to loosen up then dove into the black testing.

As others have mentioned in this thread and others a good tempo brings out the power in this club. Keeping this in mind I started off with some light swings, just getting the feel of the club. The weight honestly isn't noticeable after just a few swings, the balance is just that good. I never found myself loosing track of the club throughout the swing or feeling like it was too light.

Steadily picking up confidence and swing speed I began to see the launch monitor numbers reflect what I was feeling in my hands.*note the swing speed measurement was acting up tonight, not consistently registering*

Once I was feeling confident to start tracking numbers to share here I took a 10 shot average.

aefca982-e949-2acf.jpg

aefca982-ee78-fab5.jpg

A little shorter than normal, but its ok since this was really my first time with this club. As you can see the dispersion was side to side pretty evenly. That was a reassuring thing as I worried a little about the lightness of the shaft creating a fade bias. Those shots were not different swings, I tried my best to make identical swings each time to remove as much variance as possible.

How does the shaft and head combo relate to shot height? Some mentioned concerns with ballooning. I looked for that as well.

aefca982-ea9c-aa80.jpg

I'll take that ball flight everyday. It's a touch higher than what I'm used to but wasn't falling out of the sky either. I liked the rise I was seeing, of course I will confirm that later this week with some outdoor practice and play.

I did notice the backspin numbers were a little high, up in the low 4000's so that is a little concerning. I checked my swing on video and didn't notice a severely descending blow. These monitors can get a little off so I will pay close attention in the coming days to see how the ball reacts after hitting the fairway.

I did notice that I can not go after a swing with this club from the top. No matter how slow my tempo gets or how I pause at the top, a hard swing from the top down resulted in a huge fade everytime. Of course swinging hard from the top isn't always a good thing, but its just something I noticed an wanted to share. Found that a slight set at the top followed by a controlled acceleration created much better results. Swinging easier with this driver was giving me more distance and most importantly more accuracy than I'm used to.

There were some questions asked earlier in this thread, tomorrow I will go back and try to answer those with the information I have so far. If there is something in particular you want to know or wish me to focus on more please ask.

None of your pics are showing up SW

None of your pics are showing up SW

Hmm they're on my end. Do you have the dreaded red X or what? I'll check it the morning from the pc.

--
tapatalk

Are there any women testing out this driver? This seems to address the issues I had with the 270 and 290.

Hmm they're on my end. Do you have the dreaded red X or what? I'll check it the morning from the pc.

Working for me! Great post. I wish I had a launch monitor. I need to get my speed checked.

Are there any women testing out this driver? This seems to address the issues I had with the 270 and 290.

I don't think there are any women testers. What were your issues with the 270/290?

Looking down toward the bottom and I see the International Flex Code is 4212. Reading the website and I see that the normal C Kua 39S has an IFC of 6424. In fact I read the great PDF that Ary posted a few days ago and the only shaft that comes close in terms of IFC is the regular C Kua in regular flex which is 5212. My favorite shaft I’ve ever played is a 70 gram Daimana Kai’li which is a 5545. What does all that mean? No clue. This is what Cleveland has to say:

Golf’s Most Precise Shaft Fitting
Our patent pending measurement and analysis process determines the local bending and torsional flex at all points along the shaft and then summarizes the stiffness relative to traditional measurements by assigning a 4 digit code to each shaft for both bending and torsional stiffness
1[SUP]st[/SUP]#= Butt stiffness
2[SUP]nd[/SUP]#= Mid-Butt stiffness
3[SUP]rd[/SUP]#= Mid-Tip stiffness
4[SUP]th[/SUP]#= Tip Stiffness

Great CL! Glad you got the club to test! Isn't a sexy thang when you open that box? Just all black top to bottom looking sweet and mean, ready to do some damage! Do you think you could link to that PDF/thread with the IFC info?

Working for me! Great post. I wish I had a launch monitor. I need to get my speed checked.

I don't think there are any women testers. What were your issues with the 270/290?

Great CL! Glad you got the club to test! Isn't a sexy thang when you open that box? Just all black top to bottom looking sweet and mean, ready to do some damage! Do you think you could link to that PDF/thread with the IFC info?

Sure thing. Miyazaki compared a bunch of shafts and gave them IFC.
http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/Cleveland_Golf_Srixon_Custom_Catalog_Spring_2011.pdf

So I did get out last night and hit some balls with this driver. I have never gotten a club and not hit balls with it that day. I don't want to post anything substantial until I can get this out in the daylight which is hopefully today. I will say that I did something last night that I have never done before. This driver has me very interested in a long term relationship

So I did get out last night and hit some balls with this driver. I have never gotten a club and not hit balls with it that day. I don't want to post anything substantial until I can get this out in the daylight which is hopefully today. I will say that I did something last night that I have never done before. This driver has me very interested in a long term relationship

Don't be a tease! Seriously though, this seems to be working quite well for everyone thus far and it sounds like the results that JB and war.eagle were seeing are carrying over to the official testers.

Really quite astonishing that some are seeing 15 yard gains AND tighter dispersion/better accuracy. Really hoping this is available for me to hit today.

If this becomes a pattern more than a trend then this driver will be in a lot of people's bags very soon

Don't be a tease! Seriously though, this seems to be working quite well for everyone thus far and it sounds like the results that JB and war.eagle were seeing are carrying over to the official testers.

Really quite astonishing that some are seeing 15 yard gains AND tighter dispersion/better accuracy. Really hoping this is available for me to hit today.

Finally got one past the ladies tees? hehe I kid. Look forward to your thoughts sir chunk. I have one of these in my cart on Clevelands website waiting approval.

Finally got one past the ladies tees? hehe I kid. Look forward to your thoughts sir chunk. I have one of these in my cart on Clevelands website waiting approval.

OEM it. I promise you

I don't want to say something I will regret later as I was hitting in the dark and a lot of times didn't see the ball land. Toward the end of the session the lights went on at the end of the range. It was a 1 ball showdown between the Razr Hawk and the Cleveland Black. I saw, on this one shot mind you, a lot more than 15 yards. That is why I am waiting to hit the ball in daylight before I start gushing. I can say that I couldn't overpower this thing. It reacted well to me trying to kill it

Back