Miyazaki JDL Shaft Review Thread

Slightly off topic, but I must have missed it somewhere and I am a little confused. Was the B. Asha a two part testing, with the testers chosen for the B. Asha also getting to test this shaft as well?

I thought I missed it as well. Haha. Glad I didn't.

This thing looks sweet. Really like the graphics but not sure I would game this. The flex code is pretty soft and I don't think it would fit my game but maybe that will change once I hear some characteristics of the shaft.

Here's a question I asked Tim Gillis.
"Will the JDL shaft have a stiffer tip then B. Asha?" Mind you I asked him before I received the shaft.
His response was, "The code is 5543 so no it is softer but the butt isn't as stiff so you might get a little lower launch."

Lower launch I thought........my ears perked a little bit. So I can't wait to get this in a head and starting smashing balls.

As far as any other specs go, I don't have any. I will send Mr. Gillis an email right now.
I'm not too familiar with Miyazaki shafts, but doesn't that flex code mean it should be a higher launching shaft? To me it reads like it's a firm butt/mid section and an active tip.

Looks nice, quite subtle but classy looking. Interested to hear more on the profile and performance.

I'm not too familiar with Miyazaki shafts, but doesn't that flex code mean it should be a higher launching shaft? To me it reads like it's a firm butt/mid section and an active tip.

While the tip section plays a large role in the ball flight, the rest of the shaft does as well. Most high launching shafts have stiffer butt ends and soft tips. Lowering the stiffness in the butt section while lowering the tip will reduce the hight as well.

Can't make out the graphics to well but I'm sure they look good. I want to know how it performs. What club will that be placed into?

Can't make out the graphics to well but I'm sure they look good. I want to know how it performs. What club will that be placed into?

I'll try to get some better graphic pics today Freddie. As far as what this is going in, not to sure. I'll most likely put this in my other Cleveland Classic unless my buddy hooks me up with the RAZR fit head.

Last edited:
Very interesting new addition to the Miyazaki stable. Looks like it should be a mid- to mid-high flight. It would be real interesting to compare against the Kusala Blue to see how much of a difference a one digit change makes in the flex code on the tip end.

Very nice! Cant wait for on course review as well as maybe some LM numbers

I'm assuming this will have more than one version/weight. Looking forward to some tech info.

Nice, and i like the Flex code as well, should be interesting to see what kind of ball flight you get out of whatever set up you put together.

You and me both body. I was thinking of pulling the 6m3 from my other Classic head, but I'm really thinking of trying something new and interchangeable and getting tips for all three shafts for an ultimate test. So with that I'm open to suggestions from the forum.

The orig R11 can be picked up for dirt cheap, and is still a great drive. Tips are easy to get your hands on.

The orig R11 can be picked up for dirt cheap, and is still a great drive. Tips are easy to get your hands on.

Yes wake speaks the truth, plus it's an easy driver to get a hold of and if you decide to keep one of the shafts as a primary shaft, you can always install
A tip on the shaft and use the r11

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

This shaft offering brings into question many things for me now:

1. This is the stock shaft offering for the 2013 classic. So that tells me that this shaft was built to match this driver. Was this shaft built for other heads? Amp? R11? Fit? What kind of issues are we going to find if we don't put it in the classic head?

2. Should I put this in the Amp driver as well and compare the 2 shafts side by side? I think this is the only way to go since I started with the Amp, but there is a part of me now that wants to get a classic head and try it in that? I think the Classic and Amp have the high launch angle both going for them so the Amp will probably do just fine as a comparison.

Thoughts?

I think it would be pretty cheap to pick up an adaptor for the AMP, Nate.

Nate that is an interesting question, but I am not sure you should have to look that deeply into it. Being that it will be a standard shaft offering in the new Classic, should not take away from the fact that it is still going to be an aftermarket high quality shaft. So for that, it would be no different than most. Finding one that fits the ball flight you are searching for and going from there.

Its hard to say what comes first, the shaft creation or the head creation, but I think as it pertains to this model, it is not a shaft built for that head, but rather a shaft that works well with that head. Hope this makes sense.

This shaft offering brings into question many things for me now:

1. This is the stock shaft offering for the 2013 classic. So that tells me that this shaft was built to match this driver. Was this shaft built for other heads? Amp? R11? Fit? What kind of issues are we going to find if we don't put it in the classic head?

2. Should I put this in the Amp driver as well and compare the 2 shafts side by side? I think this is the only way to go since I started with the Amp, but there is a part of me now that wants to get a classic head and try it in that? I think the Classic and Amp have the high launch angle both going for them so the Amp will probably do just fine as a comparison.

Thoughts?

My understanding is that they tried to match the spec's with the B.Asha, but its difficult with the Int'l Flex Code....but that's just from what Tim has said. I'll be playing it in the same 11.5 head I play the B.Asha in to see.

Wow, this is a great surprise. Nice loooking shaft and even better that we already have forum testers in place. Well done, looking forward to hearing more.

I think it would be pretty cheap to pick up an adaptor for the AMP, Nate.
For sure, I did it for the B. Asha so that would not be an issue. Just was pondering if I should stick with the Amp (which I love right now) or maybe hunt for a classic head? Just a thought.

Nate that is an interesting question, but I am not sure you should have to look that deeply into it. Being that it will be a standard shaft offering in the new Classic, should not take away from the fact that it is still going to be an aftermarket high quality shaft. So for that, it would be no different than most. Finding one that fits the ball flight you are searching for and going from there.

Its hard to say what comes first, the shaft creation or the head creation, but I think as it pertains to this model, it is not a shaft built for that head, but rather a shaft that works well with that head. Hope this makes sense.
It does. From what's been said already about the shaft and how it might get the ball flight down a bit more than the B. Asha, I think I'm going to try it in the Amp and compare the 2 shafts together in the same club. I think that's the only way for me to tell the differences between the 2 shafts.

My thought would be that seeing the shafts characteristics would be easier with the AMP since you're familar with how it performs with both the Asha and the stock shaft. Just my opinion of course.

Looking forward to hearing more about this shaft. I like the flex code that this one came in.

Very cool.

Since the JDL is replacing the C.Kua as the stock shaft in the Classic, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the JDL and the C.Kua.

Very cool.

Since the JDL is replacing the C.Kua as the stock shaft in the Classic, it would be interesting to see a comparison between the JDL and the C.Kua.

Agreed. As someone who games the Classic now, and is happy with it, I'd love to hear some comparisons against the C.Kua.

Holy, I'm not spending enough time on this forum to keep up with all the new shafts and such! This is getting confusing.

I really like the International Flex Code for that shaft Wess. Before the B. Asha, I was down to either the Kusala Silver or Blue. The specs seem to be very close to the Blue, only 1 point softer in the tip. I'll be interested to see how you feel this shafts compares to the B. Asha.

Here she is.....the 6S

236.jpg

245.jpg

243.jpg

Really like the dark blue/black shaft color which makes the graphics pop out on the shaft. Graphics look to be some sort of car/parts theme which is really different. This is going to look so great mixed in with the 2013 Classic.

Back