TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Has anyone compared the R11 irons to the MC? I imagine it's been done but I'm not having good luck with the search.

Has anyone compared the R11 irons to the MC? I imagine it's been done but I'm not having good luck with the search.

IMO the R11s fit in between the MCs and the CBs except with more distance and a lighter/better felling stock shaft. TaylorMade has discontinued the CB line and I can understand why. I love the way both the MCs and the R11s feel. I think the MCs are more of a traditional players iron, whereas the R11s are like players irons on steroids! Both are very accurate and the R11s offer more distance and forgiveness. If I was in the market for a set of irons and I was deciding between the MCs and the R11s I would go with the R11s. And that is coming from someone who plays the MCs and is super happy with them.

IMO the R11s fit in between the MCs and the CBs except with more distance and a lighter/better felling stock shaft. TaylorMade has discontinued the CB line and I can understand why. I love the way both the MCs and the R11s feel. I think the MCs are more of a traditional players iron, whereas the R11s are like players irons on steroids! Both are very accurate and the R11s offer more distance and forgiveness. If I was in the market for a set of irons and I was deciding between the MCs and the R11s I would go with the R11s. And that is coming from someone who plays the MCs and is super happy with them.

That's the thing! Haha. I play the MC as well and I'm ok with them but sometimes I wonder if I could benefit from a more forgiving iron. I went from the R7 to the MC and am now wondering if I should try to trade for the R11 if anyone out there was interested.

Cleaning out a trench for some utilities to my garage this afternoon and received a call from GG. Yes the R-11's have arrived.Tools immediately returned to the shed and I headed down the Pike to GG. Had them sole tape a couple out of the set to check on the board everything looks good so far. Night has found me so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to outside range test these babies.

Cleaning out a trench for some utilities to my garage this afternoon and received a call from GG. Yes the R-11's have arrived.Tools immediately returned to the shed and I headed down the Pike to GG. Had them sole tape a couple out of the set to check on the board everything looks good so far. Night has found me so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to outside range test these babies.

Congrats on the new sticks Shark.

That's the thing! Haha. I play the MC as well and I'm ok with them but sometimes I wonder if I could benefit from a more forgiving iron. I went from the R7 to the MC and am now wondering if I should try to trade for the R11 if anyone out there was interested.

A solid strike is a solid strike, agreed? Ask yourself, how many shots does one poor swing cost you with the MCs? The forgiveness of the R11 will save you shots when you miss

I have compared the 11 an MC, I have both. The r11 is longer and definitely more forgiving. The MC launch lower (shaft may play a part) and to me are a tad more accurate, and MAYBE a touch softer on pure shots. Overall head size is very similar with the MC being smaller. These, IMO, are two different sets in terms I what is being achieved for the various differences that translate into function. The forgiveness, explosiveness, distance, feel, and lastly accuracy are stellar with the R11. I am happy for now till they get course tested. These are both solo irons, but I feel like more of a DR superstar with the R11.

That's fantastic bud. Go enjoy them like the rest of us.

Got to give them a test at the range HOWEVER I'll be waiting for a right handed AW. That's right a big boo boo on Taylormade. I've always hit right handed somehow they sent a left handed Aw. Everything else as far as I can tell will be ok. Waiting to see how everything unfolds tomorrow when the left coast wakes up. The order was placed correctly by GG BTW
Not very happy right now...

I wanted to update this thread as I have had a couple of milestones lately. I was able to play golf Friday, yesterday, and today, all on different course, in different climates, and with different grasses and the one thing that remained a constant, was just how darn good these irons are performing for me. Friday, I busted out a personal best round of 70. The ball was on a string for me and 15/18 GIRs is proof of that. For me, one of the best ball striking days I can ever recall. The conditions were perfect and if the putter would've been remotely warm, the round could've been special for me.

Yesterday I played in frigid temps and it showed for the first couple of holes. I was hitting the ball well, just seeing some pretty poor bounces and breaks initially. Those types of breaks tend to effect me negatively. I get kind of down on myself and it's hard to hit positive shots after that. I was 5 over thru the first 7 holes and bounced back nicely on the 8th and 9th, birdie'ing both of them to go out in 39. My back 9 was a totally different story. I lit it up, managing 8/9 GIR's with 1 birdie and a bogey to shoot a 36 for a 75. Again, it was nice to see the R11s stick with me, even when I was in a negative funk.

Then today came, and it eerily started like yesterday, opening up with bogeys. It wasn't really a result of the R11s mind you but not a great start but then I got into a groove. I ended up going out in 36 with 3 birdies and 3 bogey on the 9 so it was a good fight back. Then the unexplainable happened, I birdie holes 10-12 and man, I was getting excited. Throw another birdie and a bogey in the back 9 for a score of 33, and a new personal career low round of 69!!!!!!

I didn't hit every green in regulation but man, these irons just keep you relevant and in the hunt. When I miss, I just miss. In fact, today it seemed like I was just a club shot on most approaches. I had tons of balls in the fringe, which are fairly easy to get up and down. It seemed when my distance was right, I was putting the ball close enough to hole the birdie putts.

I can't speak highly enough of these irons. I've shot my career low rounds with them in the span of 5 days and I expect more of the same. On a side note, my brother and I were comparing the shape/size of the R11s to his Bridgestone J38 DPCs and they are very similar shape and size. I believe that Taylormade has really done something special with these irons and seeing how it's the Holiday Season, perhaps it's the right time to treat yourself to them if they're on your list!

Holy freaking awesome update TC. That is some really good stuff dude congrats on the round today dude.

Great update TC. Those irons are really rockin for you man, making me want some baddddddd. Might have to be a birthday present in February.

That is freaking amazing TC! Congrats bro, impressive rounds!

Congrats on the 60's! That's quite a milestone, TC. Way to go!

Holy freaking awesome update TC. That is some really good stuff dude congrats on the round today dude.

Thanks Kmac! R11s for me have been such a blessing. I don't even care how far I hit them. I hit them so consistently solid and straight that it's almost not fair.

Bravo TC, bravo. What were you hitting into the greens, was it a mixed bag or mid and short irons? You were making putts but what was your proximity to the whole? Again that is awesome my man, I'm happy for you. Nothing like breaking par but shooting in the 60s is something entirely different.

Interesting to hear about a direct comparison to the J38's. I would have expected the R11's to be a bit bigger.

Interesting to hear about a direct comparison to the J38's. I would have expected the R11's to be a bit bigger.

they are a bit bigger than the J40's. Was able to compare them on the range a couple weeks ago.

I just picked up my 3 iron at GG. I hope to get out to the range this week to try it out.

Nice write up TC. I hope we tee it up soon. I can't wait to see how you are hitting these clubs now! I am jealous!

Bravo TC, bravo. What were you hitting into the greens, was it a mixed bag or mid and short irons? You were making putts but what was your proximity to the whole? Again that is awesome my man, I'm happy for you. Nothing like breaking par but shooting in the 60s is something entirely different.

Mostly mid to short irons to be honest. It isn't a terribly long course as much as it's a "you better hit it here" type of course. I couldn't believe how many putts I made for birdie but they weren't really tough ones either. The 4 bogeys sucked, that's for sure. I just played well off the tee and that sets up scoring opportunities.

From heel to toe and from sole to the topline they are identical in size. In fact, I think the R11 soles are a tad thinner but the J38s offered a slightly thinner topline. If the R11s are bigger, it's minuscule.

wow TC im stoked for you bro! i really can't wait to hit the links again... hoping to get out monday for a round with Hanks.

From heel to toe and from sole to the topline they are identical in size. In fact, I think the R11 soles are a tad thinner but the J38s offered a slightly thinner topline. If the R11s are bigger, it's minuscule.

The other day when I was carrying one of SethO's MC irons next to one of my R11s. I noticed that they have a very similar sole shape too. I think if they didn't have the ATV on the bottom, it would be hard to tell a difference.

That's incredibly awesome to hear TC! I really thought maybe you'd hit a small plateau with all the big success you've had recently, but apparently you've got more in you my friend!

Wow TC! Awesome!!!
At the range today these were perfoing nicely with my wedges. I have to say that I am really happy with these wedges and cannot wait to see if the grooves get the ball to bite on greens. The covers of the frozen range balls are nicely painted on my clubfaces. A nice smooth swing and these fly high and deep.

The rest of the irons today were just swings as the balls were so cold an accurate gauge of distance was not there. Still flew out there. I can really see why the testors are so happy. These are great irons. I have been the only person who I have noticed splaying these cannons and I kind of don't want my friends to know how good they are!

Wow TC what a heck of a round, congrats on 2 personal best and shooting in the 60's. I would say the R11's are working amazing for you.

Back