TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

CB, I'm really happy that you've found a set of irons you like so much. Sort of bummed I haven't see the mustache though...

Pic has been sent. And I do really like these irons, they are the first set I've ever had that are truly fit for me.

R11 Irons Range Session:

I spent close to an hour this evening hitting balls on the range. This is the second range session I have had with these irons since FL, and I think it was much needed. I hit a lot of balls with the PW, 8i, and 4i. I also had my old 8i from my Tour Burners there to compare.

PW:

There is a practice green on the range with a flag in the center that measured 138 yards. I spent some time hitting full shots at this green with the R11 PW. Most of the balls in the range mix are terrible, so I did get some inconsistent distances, but I stuck a few of the better balls right near the pin. I was seeing a very high ball flight, but they weren't ballooning. I focused on not dropping too far inside on my downswing and was seeing some much straighter shots, which I loved. I did hit a few blocked right and some heavy draws, but the well struck shots felt amazing. I can't get over how nice these clubs feel at impact, but more on that later. The club glides through the turf nicely on well struck shots and I made a nice square on the grass tees. The struggles I had this weekend on the course with pulling and heavy draws straightened up after I stopped dropping so far inside. I even hit a few knockdowns that went straight.

8i:

Since I had my Tour Burner 8i with me I decided to compare the two irons. First off, the R11 iron seemed lighter to me. This is a little strange since the TB shaft is 105gm and the KBS Tour in my R11 is 120gm. Both clubs have the same grip, but the head on the TB must be much heavier. It's not something I noticed during swings, but just holding them it's noticeable. I focused on the same swing from earlier and hit some shots at the 150 yd marker. Both irons seemed to have the same high ballflight. The R11 may have been a touch higher, but it was hard to tell. I did dig out a few of the better balls and hit them beyond the 150 yd marker with both irons. I did it a little more consistently with the R11, with one going well beyond the marker. The R11 feels so much better compared to the TB. In my opinion, the R11 has a softer feel and the TB was a bit harsh at impact. This could have a lot to do with the shaft, but I'm not certain. I'd say the R11 is a few yards longer and feels 100x better. Both ballflights were high and well struck shots were straight or a slight draw.

4i:

First, I never really hit a 4i other than off of the tee until this summer. It wasn't something I enjoyed, since I never really knew what was going to happen. I would hit a lot of thin fades or just duff it all together. I have hit some shots with the 4i on the course over the past few weeks and was fairly impressed. I would pull the ball, but it actually went up in the air and in the general direction of where I aimed.

I must have hit 30+ balls tonight on the range with this iron off of the grass. I did hit a few thin, but most were well struck. I was actually seeing a fairly high ball flight and most were dead straight or a slight push. I think the high ball flight with the longer irons is due to the weight port on the back. TM has managed to keep the center of gravity the same throughout the set, which I think is helping me hit my 4i much higher compared to my old one.

There is another practice green on the range with a stick that measured 189 yard, so that was my aiming point. I hit a couple balls right near the pin, that went high and just sat down after one bounce. I was kind of shocked at how easy it is to hit this iron. I don't think I will have any doubt when I need to pull it from the bag on longer approach shots anymore. Well struck shots felt just like every other R11 iron, and even the thinned ones didn't sting too bad.

Overall:

The ball flight I see with the R11 irons is high, but not ballooning. When I have my swing grooving the shot shape is straight or a very small draw. The turf interaction is great, as these irons seem to glide through the turf leaving a nice divot. TaylorMade packed a lot of technology into these irons and should be on everyone's "I need to give these a try" list. Thanks for reading.

One more thing.... I LOVE these irons!

DD, dude, its a post like that that makes me truly hope I'd get the chance to test these bad boys. I love my 2.0's but you guys have just all sorts of got my interests CRAZY piqued.

Very nice man.

Great update DD and I'm glad you were able to get out there for a long range session and fall in love with these irons all over again.

great write up Dirtydawg. glad to see your gaining some confidence with your 4 iron. i always hit mine to see where my swing is if im hitting that well im usually hitting my other irons well too.

Pic has been sent. And I do really like these irons, they are the first set I've ever had that are truly fit for me.

Where are these pics?

R11 Irons Range Session:

I spent close to an hour this evening hitting balls on the range. This is the second range session I have had with these irons since FL, and I think it was much needed. I hit a lot of balls with the PW, 8i, and 4i. I also had my old 8i from my Tour Burners there to compare.

PW:

There is a practice green on the range with a flag in the center that measured 138 yards. I spent some time hitting full shots at this green with the R11 PW. Most of the balls in the range mix are terrible, so I did get some inconsistent distances, but I stuck a few of the better balls right near the pin. I was seeing a very high ball flight, but they weren't ballooning. I focused on not dropping too far inside on my downswing and was seeing some much straighter shots, which I loved. I did hit a few blocked right and some heavy draws, but the well struck shots felt amazing. I can't get over how nice these clubs feel at impact, but more on that later. The club glides through the turf nicely on well struck shots and I made a nice square on the grass tees. The struggles I had this weekend on the course with pulling and heavy draws straightened up after I stopped dropping so far inside. I even hit a few knockdowns that went straight.

8i:

Since I had my Tour Burner 8i with me I decided to compare the two irons. First off, the R11 iron seemed lighter to me. This is a little strange since the TB shaft is 105gm and the KBS Tour in my R11 is 120gm. Both clubs have the same grip, but the head on the TB must be much heavier. It's not something I noticed during swings, but just holding them it's noticeable. I focused on the same swing from earlier and hit some shots at the 150 yd marker. Both irons seemed to have the same high ballflight. The R11 may have been a touch higher, but it was hard to tell. I did dig out a few of the better balls and hit them beyond the 150 yd marker with both irons. I did it a little more consistently with the R11, with one going well beyond the marker. The R11 feels so much better compared to the TB. In my opinion, the R11 has a softer feel and the TB was a bit harsh at impact. This could have a lot to do with the shaft, but I'm not certain. I'd say the R11 is a few yards longer and feels 100x better. Both ballflights were high and well struck shots were straight or a slight draw.

4i:

First, I never really hit a 4i other than off of the tee until this summer. It wasn't something I enjoyed, since I never really knew what was going to happen. I would hit a lot of thin fades or just duff it all together. I have hit some shots with the 4i on the course over the past few weeks and was fairly impressed. I would pull the ball, but it actually went up in the air and in the general direction of where I aimed.

I must have hit 30+ balls tonight on the range with this iron off of the grass. I did hit a few thin, but most were well struck. I was actually seeing a fairly high ball flight and most were dead straight or a slight push. I think the high ball flight with the longer irons is due to the weight port on the back. TM has managed to keep the center of gravity the same throughout the set, which I think is helping me hit my 4i much higher compared to my old one.

There is another practice green on the range with a stick that measured 189 yard, so that was my aiming point. I hit a couple balls right near the pin, that went high and just sat down after one bounce. I was kind of shocked at how easy it is to hit this iron. I don't think I will have any doubt when I need to pull it from the bag on longer approach shots anymore. Well struck shots felt just like every other R11 iron, and even the thinned ones didn't sting too bad.

Overall:

The ball flight I see with the R11 irons is high, but not ballooning. When I have my swing grooving the shot shape is straight or a very small draw. The turf interaction is great, as these irons seem to glide through the turf leaving a nice divot. TaylorMade packed a lot of technology into these irons and should be on everyone's "I need to give these a try" list. Thanks for reading.

One more thing.... I LOVE these irons!

DD outstanding update man!

Great update DJ. I spent some time at GG with the R11 6 iron again tonight and once again really enjoyed it. For comparison I hit the R11, the TM MB and the Mizuno MP-59. The R11 was so much easier to hit and IMO felt just as good.

Thanks guys!

OEM, the feel is amazing in these irons. I want to hit some with different shafts to see how the feel compares with the KBS. I also would like to hit one with the c-taper to compare feel/ball flight.

I wonder how much better the real DJ would be if he put these in his bag?

Nice write up DD! Quit with the knock downs bro.

I wonder how much better the real DJ would be if he put these in his bag?

Nice write up DD! Quit with the knock downs bro.

He'd be way better. He wouldn't have to swing so hard and fast for his distance.

Great write up DD!!!! That was fantastic! I liked the comparison to the Tour Burners. They were at one time on my almost buy list.

Thanks guys!

OEM, the feel is amazing in these irons. I want to hit some with different shafts to see how the feel compares with the KBS. I also would like to hit one with the c-taper to compare feel/ball flight.

That would be really cool and interesting. While these irons are no doubt fantastic regardless, I'd love to see what a different shaft does to them.

DD and CB I really enjoyed your thoughts! I think these irons sound awesome and they sound like they have so much to offer players of various skill levels!

Great reviews guys...really making me want to sign up for testing now lol

Wow Great review DD! The comparison to the Tour Burners is awesome!

Quick update, the irons are reallys tarting to click for me. I am striking the ball much better and seeing great results. I am playing again tomorrow, I will provide a full update after that.

Quick update, the irons are reallys tarting to click for me. I am striking the ball much better and seeing great results. I am playing again tomorrow, I will provide a full update after that.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the detailed update, DD. If you had a choice, would you like to see the ball flight go down a bit?

What's changed for you? Just getting comfortable with the club?

Great write up DD !
I am just salivating at the chance of testing these beauties out!!!

Wake- what kind of shafts do you have in the irons?

Looking forward to it, there are some great reviews in this thread. Even the thought of having the chance to test these get me all tingly inside lol.

Looking forward to it, there are some great reviews in this thread. Even the thought of having the chance to test these get me all tingly inside lol.

+1 Haha.

Hi CB, I called Taylormade directly today and told them about my loss of distance of 1 club compared to the Burner 2.0's that I was using. They said that they were not surprised by this. They told me that If I gad gone from the R9 to the R11, I would not lose a full club. They said going from the 2.0 technology to the R11 irons it is possible the the distance loss could happen.
WOW, then I'm stumped my friend. TMPL are great at what they do, so if they fit you for those shafts then they are the best for you. Still weird that you have lost a full club of distance.

Back