TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Its Bear Mountain Golf Resort, The Valley Course, and thank you. They do sound great when they hit the ball, and my distance gaps are great right now. I'm seeing 10 yard gaps between every iron with 8 iron being my 155 carry club. The best part is as I said above is that the dispersion is just so tight that I have confidence taking on pins or shots I normally wouldn't, because I know even if I miss, I will still be in play and ok.

Thanks man, and you're welcome. These have me in serious ponder mode. I have gotten very consistent distance gaps with the VR Pro Combos, and have loved them so far, but I can't help but wonder how my game would be with a little extra forgiveness. Especially if they are accurate as well. I can't wait to read more about these irons. Keep up the good work.

Thanks man, and you're welcome. These have me in serious ponder mode. I have gotten very consistent distance gaps with the VR Pro Combos, and have loved them so far, but I can't help but wonder how my game would be with a little extra forgiveness. Especially if they are accurate as well. I can't wait to read more about these irons. Keep up the good work.

That's a very, very hard thing to give up to me. I love the dispersion of my current irons but I'm looking for the R11's to provide me with two things:

1. More distance
2. More forgiveness

If they can provide that, they'll be in the bag for a while.

That's a very, very hard thing to give up to me. I love the dispersion of my current irons but I'm looking for the R11's to provide me with two things:

1. More distance
2. More forgiveness

If they can provide that, they'll be in the bag for a while.

Exactly! I'm not saying that the VR PCs are not forgiving, because I have actually been surprised by the forgiveness in the 5-PW. That being said, as a mid-capper it is hard to know exactly how much forgiveness I am losing by playing split cavities and blades versus pocket cavities throughout. This is why the R11s are so intriguing to me. Also, they are great looking clubs.

Exactly! I'm not saying that the VR PCs are not forgiving, because I have actually been surprised by the forgiveness in the 5-PW. That being said, as a mid-capper it is hard to know exactly how much forgiveness I am losing by playing split cavities and blades versus pocket cavities throughout. This is why the R11s are so intriguing to me. Also, they are great looking clubs.

There are two things I refuse to give up in an iron and thats distance and forgiveness. Anything else an iron offers me is a bonus, and the R11's offer both in a great package with great dispersion and ball flight. I think you would be surprised at the amount of forgiveness they packed into the small head.

Great job with these reviews so far guys. An all-star line up and it shows in your thoughts. Great testing here!

Tap,Tap,Tap

Great pics OEM Kevin. Those graphite shafts are gorgeous.

Great vids Tadashi! I love the interaction with your son.

TC, i'll be interested to hear how the R11's stack up against your RXT's

Kick ass pic's and thoughts guys. JEEZ these things are good looking IMO.

Also, this is one high-powered testing crew for sure, I love it!

Tadashi you are rocking it so far, keep it up! Kmac, great pics I can't wait to hear how it goes today. CB that video was great, you hit your irons pretty far and it looks like you're really striking it great right now. Oh and gorgeous course!

Great stuff so far guys, keep it up!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Good luck out there today, OEM. The pictures look really good.

I'll be watching closely to see how the graphite works for you. It's something I've been really thinking about lately.

I can't wait to get OEMs thoughts about that shaft. I hit it last Saturday and will wait until he puts his up before I say anything.

Thanks for that epic video, Breeze. Definitely gave some real good info on the forgiveness and distance of the R11's. Beautiful course, dude.

I can't wait to get OEMs thoughts about that shaft. I hit it last Saturday and will wait until he puts his up before I say anything.

Actually, it's a 40gram difference. The KBS Tours in xstiff are 130grams and the KBS 90's are obviously 90grams.

Small correction: you would think that the KBS 90 shafts had to be 90 grams, but they're actually 102 grams in the stiff flex based on the specs on their website: http://www.kbsshafts.com/kbs_tour90.php

Still, a difference of almost 30 grams in a shaft is significant, and these shafts will be closer to the stock shafts in the Burner 2.0 irons that TC loved so much, should be interesting to hear his thoughts on the R11 irons in comparison to the Burner 2.0 irons as well as the RXTs.

I'm headed home from my round but let me say this chunky. Where have these shafts been all my life. I'll do a proper write up later but I have nothing bad to say about the graphite shafts.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

I'm headed home from my round but let me say this chunky. Where have these shafts been all my life. I'll do a proper write up later but I have nothing bad to say about the graphite shafts.

You should work for Sports Center with type of teaser. In the immortal words of Judge Smeals "WEEELLLL we're waiting!!!"

Kongfrontation

Haha nothing like leaving us on edge OEM

Hit some of OEM's R11's today before our round and came away liking them a bit. The shaft is fairly light but lets you feel the weight of the club head throughout your swing. These were long but not as long as the CG16's I had in the bag but the accuracy or dispersion of these were really nice. The shaft gets the ball up in the air nicely and the ball flight is nice and high but not quite ballooning. One thing I noticed about the shafts was that the R11 graphic script acted almost like an alignment aid. If it was running down the center of the shaft the club head was squared. If it was a little to the left then the club head was closed, if it was a little to the right then the club face was open. Not sure if this was intentional or not but it was interesting.

Ok First off I want to Thank THP and Taylormade again for this amazing opportunity to test out the R11 irons. I personally have been very interested in getting feedback on them from the MC'ers and was looking forward to getting more reviews from whoever got to test these bad boys out. Its an honor to be picked especially with the caliber of other testers that have been picked to test these out. I have been very very excited to get my hands on these and hope that I can help everyone on THP as much as they have helped me.

A little bit about myself- I'm 29 years old I have been playing golf since I was 14 years old. I started playing right before high school and joined the golf team my freshman year and I have never looked back. I am currently a 8-9 handicap and finally broke 80 and became a single digit handicap this year for the first time in my life. A lot of this has to do with me finally taking my first professional lessons from Golftec. (from the great things i've heard from this site) And playing A LOT of golf and putting in a good amount of practice time each week. I currently am playing Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and before that I was using the Taymormade R7xd. I got the 2.0s early this year and I was fitted for them. I ended up with Standard length,lie and lofts. With stiff steel shafts. I have said it before but I also tried the CBs because I felt my game had improved enough to change to more of a Players Iron instead of a Game improvement but after hitting both at golf galaxy I didn't hit the CB anywhere near as well as the 2.0s. So I was a little disappointed but went with the 2.0s because of that fact I hit them better and hoping that maybe in a year or 2 my game would be good enough to switch up. Also I thought the transition between my R7xd and the 2.0 would be easier which ended up being very seamless. At the time I had even said to the guy who fitted me at the store I wished they had something in between a GI and a Players iron. And months later Taylormade comes out with what I am hoping is the “bridge” between the two!

That being said I wanted to do a quick unboxing video and hit the range quick before it gets to dark or it starts raining. So heres my unboxing video. Ill post more pics and thoughts after I get home from the range im just running short on time to get there tonight.

Great stuff in here so far guys!

Tadashi - finally got caught up on your videos and they were outstanding. I know you are very knowledgeable about your swing and how things work for you so interested in following how these work for lower handicappers like you and TC.

OEM - nice photos and looking forward to reading what your tease is all about. You have a ton of experience with various irons so I know you will be able to highlight what is special about these and perhaps what does not work as well as you need.

If these end up being a true combination of GE and GI irons then TM will have a major winner on their hands....something like that would fit me perfectly I believe.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Tadashi great videos and thoughts about the clubs so far. I'm really interested in your thoughts about the lighter clubs. I myself love heavy clubs and have lead tape on my current irons. My Mizunos that are on the way have a heavier shaft in them so i won't have to use lead tape. Between you and TC ill really be following how the weight is helping/hurting your results.

KMac those pictures look really nice. A few of my golf buddies just switched to graphite shafts and they have enjoyed and experienced great things. Granted these buddies are older than you are but it's all about swing speed and your results are going to be interesting as some really don't like going to graphite shafts as they seem to think it is more of a Senior person shaft.

TC can't wait for your reviews as i'm also very interested in how the weight will help/hurt you.

BuckJob based on your initial right up I have all the faith in you that you will do an amazing job

Very good stuff so far everyone! Lots of information already and the video's are great. This is going to be a great review to follow.

Ok First off I want to Thank THP and Taylormade again for this amazing opportunity to test out the R11 irons. I personally have been very interested in getting feedback on them from the MC'ers and was looking forward to getting more reviews from whoever got to test these bad boys out. Its an honor to be picked especially with the caliber of other testers that have been picked to test these out. I have been very very excited to get my hands on these and hope that I can help everyone on THP as much as they have helped me.

A little bit about myself- I'm 29 years old I have been playing golf since I was 14 years old. I started playing right before high school and joined the golf team my freshman year and I have never looked back. I am currently a 8-9 handicap and finally broke 80 and became a single digit handicap this year for the first time in my life. A lot of this has to do with me finally taking my first professional lessons from Golftec. (from the great things i've heard from this site) And playing A LOT of golf and putting in a good amount of practice time each week. I currently am playing Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons and before that I was using the Taymormade R7xd. I got the 2.0s early this year and I was fitted for them. I ended up with Standard length,lie and lofts. With stiff steel shafts. I have said it before but I also tried the CBs because I felt my game had improved enough to change to more of a Players Iron instead of a Game improvement but after hitting both at golf galaxy I didn't hit the CB anywhere near as well as the 2.0s. So I was a little disappointed but went with the 2.0s because of that fact I hit them better and hoping that maybe in a year or 2 my game would be good enough to switch up. Also I thought the transition between my R7xd and the 2.0 would be easier which ended up being very seamless. At the time I had even said to the guy who fitted me at the store I wished they had something in between a GI and a Players iron. And months later Taylormade comes out with what I am hoping is the “bridge” between the two!

That being said I wanted to do a quick unboxing video and hit the range quick before it gets to dark or it starts raining. So heres my unboxing video. Ill post more pics and thoughts after I get home from the range im just running short on time to get there tonight.

I have to say even though I have these clubs in the bag, watching your video was like seeing them again for the first time. Nice unboxing my man, glad you got them today!

Kongfrontation

excellent initial thoughts Bucky!

Back