Burgers - how do you like them cooked?

RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
I've been reading a lot of http://aht.seriouseats.com/ lately, and I've noticed that they eat A LOT of rare/medium rare patties... this is something that is completely foreign to me. How is this safe?
Here in Canada you would never see anything like this for health reasons.
I also think the texture of uncooked ground beef is pretty awful...

A little pink is ok by me but I definitely like mine at least medium well. I see people eat rare burgers all the time, some of them VERY rare, and I find it disgusting. I agree, the texture of uncooked ground beef is gross.

I've been reading a lot of http://aht.seriouseats.com/ lately, and I've noticed that they eat A LOT of rare/medium rare patties... this is something that is completely foreign to me. How is this safe?
Here in Canada you would never see anything like this for health reasons.
I also think the texture of uncooked ground beef is pretty awful...

Medium. I want it cooked but juicy. You gotta cook ground beef all the way through.

I eat mine med-rare, I'm not dead! Its the same as eating a steak med-rare. I've seen people just eat ground beef raw lol, thats kinda weird, but not really all that dangerous.

I like my burgers medium but medium-rare for steaks

Nothing but Medium for me.

Medium Well in Burgers, but Medium Rare in Steaks, want my steaks mooing

I eat mine med-rare, I'm not dead! Its the same as eating a steak med-rare. I've seen people just eat ground beef raw lol, thats kinda weird, but not really all that dangerous.
I disagree with this. It's not at all the same as eating a medium rare steak.

I like my burgers medium, but it seems most chains always take it one step further than you want, so I normally order them medium rare.

I disagree with this. It's not at all the same as eating a medium rare steak.

I'll check that thread out when I'm on my laptop tomorrow.
But I agree with you. Burgers are not the same as steaks. Don't think I am a boot-leather eating ruined of quality slabs of steak! I like a pink and bloody steak as much as the next guy, but burgers just don't do it for me when they're not bordering on well done (they can still be juicy if cooked properly).

Could someone post a picture of what is a "properly" cooked burger in their mind?

(yes I realise this thread could turn into a potential drool fest and morning burger craving instigator haha)

Medium Well in Burgers, but Medium Rare in Steaks, want my steaks mooing

That aint mooing! You should try Blue rare, it's soo delicious. It's a once a year thing for me though.

I like it rare as can be, absolutely dripping, same with my steaks!

You know, it all depends on the quality of beef the burger is made with. At a place with really good beef, like a Kobe beef burger, it would be a shame to go anything higher than halfway between medium and medium-well. For me, I always get my Kobe beef burgers medium-rare like a steak. If it is a lean cut of meat like Bison or Ostrich, even a low fat beef cut, I never go above medium. I like a lots of juicy in my burgers and the more well done they are, the less juicy they are to me. And some meat like Lamb I wouldn't trust if it was anything less than medium and wouldn't eat if it was well done.

I've been reviewing burger joints for my local patch.com website, so I've thought long and hard about this particular question.

As for the black and blue burgers ... I just can't do it. Having that outside char and then biting into a luke warm center just doesn't work for me from a textural or temperature standpoint. With a steak, I can be talked into it, but not for a whole piece of meat.

Medium rare for me. As has been said before, it usually ends up more toward medium anyway.

I don't know if it's part of the question but I love avocado, bacon, and Guinness cheddar cheese for toppings!

Tempo, timing, tapping.

Medium rare, I love'm juicy.

Medium well for me. No blood is good!

Medium rare is the way to go.

over here it is certainly not allowed in the catering industry.we have to cook our burgers in the restaurant to 75 degree's or above which is cooked all the way through and no trace of pink at all.

medium well kinda guy

I eat mine slightly rare, but not a full mid-rare. A little bit of pink, but not raw. Steaks-- mid-rare.

And no, they are not the same. Bacteria in steak exists primarily on the surface, and searing the surface is sufficient to be safe. In ground chuck, the bacteria is throughout the meat.

over here it is certainly not allowed in the catering industry.we have to cook our burgers in the restaurant to 75 degree's or above which is cooked all the way through and no trace of pink at all.

That's why British food gets a bad rap

Rare for me. It's all about knowing your butcher and buying quality meat.

Medium well. Rare burgers creep me out.

John Deere Tappin...

Back