Traveling to THP Events

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I thought since THP has two huge events coming up in 2012 that most will have to travel to in one way or another. It would be nice to have a thread exclusively devoted to getting to and from these events.
Whether you are driving or flying we can share ideas, favorite routes and pit stops. We can also post airline deals and hotel/condo deals. This way we can keep our various Outing and MC threads clear of travel chatter.

Cool idea Tadashi. Thanks for thinking of this!

Good idea. I'm doing so early looking right now for both events. I lost my direct flight from here to Orlando, so I'm finding the need to get creative!

There's a bunch of direct flights from Newark to MB last I checked for relatively cheap. All the flights to Orlando are pretty expensive. Good thread idea Tad.

I'm driving to both. I love road trips

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Great thread idea Freddie! I will be driving to both events. I am wondering what kind of deals will be worked out for lodging for TMC.

Great idea.. Still too early to book for the outing

Good idea Freddie. The search engine is failing me right now, but MaryC has a post floating around somewhere on this site that has a amazing amount of information about traveling with golf bags and other details. I know that she's busy with her move, so perhaps someone that is better with the search engine could find it and post it in this thread as well?

Driving down to Orlando the day before the outing starts and staying at a house my sister owns, going to head back over to the house on Sunday afternoon after playing golf and spending the night(s) before heading back. We may do some sightseeing for a few days before coming back home.

Great idea.. Still too early to book for the outing

Not so sure I agree. We already had a flight increase across the board by most airlines 2 weeks ago and according to most analysts, they expect another in the next 30 days or so.

Not so sure I agree. We already had a flight increase across the board by most airlines 2 weeks ago and according to most analysts, they expect another in the next 30 days or so.

US Airways tried to push through a fare increase last week, but Delta was the only other airline that went along with them, so it was quickly pulled back.

Some people may wait on spring sales, although Orlando is a place that tends to have their tourists there all year long, so the sales to and from Orlando may not be great. I can guarantee you that it will be more expensive to fly into Myrtle Beach for the Morgan Cup as it will be in the summertime and the airport is much smaller than Orlando.

US Airways tried to push through a fare increase last week, but Delta was the only other airline that went along with them, so it was quickly pulled back.

Some people may wait on spring sales, although Orlando is a place that tends to have their tourists there all year long, so the sales to and from Orlando may not be great. I can guarantee you that it will be more expensive to fly into Myrtle Beach for the Morgan Cup as it will be in the summertime and the airport is much smaller than Orlando.

The Spring time sales to Orlando are getting harder and harder to come by. The airport is just filled non-stop. Ironically just 10 seconds ago watching the news they were speaking of rate increases across the board they expect coming very soon. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Speaking with Captain Golf today, he believes that longer waits will bring higher prices for the Orlando guests from most areas. He said (speaking about his flights), that that time of year the Orlando flights are always filled.

I-75 is boring, but it connects me to Orlando (via the Turnpike)...after three trips in the last 19 months and another next May, I've found myself stopping at the same exits repeatedly.

Bag fees are free in the back of the car.

I seriously thought about driving to Myrtle Beach, but it doesn't look like it would save me much at all.

Good idea. I'm doing so early looking right now for both events. I lost my direct flight from here to Orlando, so I'm finding the need to get creative!

Have you looked at Allegiant out of Moline? Fedex your gear and walk on.

Allegiant is a tricky one for a couple reasons. They only fly to Tampa and they have a sparse schedule. You are sort of stuck with what they offer. A drive to Chicago opens up much more in terms of variety and cheap fares, but then you have parking/driving, etc.

I have really looked a lot at Allegiant and hope I can make it work with them.

Allegiant is a tricky one for a couple reasons. They only fly to Tampa and they have a sparse schedule. You are sort of stuck with what they offer. A drive to Chicago opens up much more in terms of variety and cheap fares, but then you have parking/driving, etc.

I have really looked a lot at Allegiant and hope I can make it work with them.

They go into Orlando/Sanford now from Cedar Rapids, Moline and Rockford. I always try them if I can make the days work, but you're right the schedule can be a headache.

Might not hurt some people to fly into Tampa and rent a car over to Grand Cypress. It's gonna depend on what airline and where you're flying from, but just as an example: Taking a flight tomorrow on Delta from O'Hare to Orlando, it's 361 one way before fees. O'Hare to Tampa is 246 before fees.

I think that the NC Crew is going to be caravaning down to Florida this May. There will be much merriment and drinks will definitely be in order after a 10 hour ride.

I will be driving to both events next year with the wife.

Wonder if the True Blue resort will be doing any special packages for those participating or if the participants will book on their own just through whatever website they choose, etc? Thinking that info will probably be shared with the participants once they are selected and announced.

I have to fly to THP events. Currently flights from Halifax to Orlando are aboot ;) $600 a person round trip, plus bag fees. We will more than likely drive to Bangor, as Allegiant has a direct flight to Orlando- Sanford. The schedule for that point in May isn't out yet, and I look for it every day. Price for flying from Bangor looks to be half of what it is flying from Halifax.

I can guarantee you that it will be more expensive to fly into Myrtle Beach for the Morgan Cup as it will be in the summertime and the airport is much smaller than Orlando.

You're not kidding me. Now I know that flying from Canada adds cost (I also checked out of Seattle) the cost to get to MB is pretty much double that of Orlando. I think if anyone comes across a great price to fly there they should grab it while they can no matter how far out it is.

I don't know US flight routes very well either but I find it interesting that when going from Vancouver/Seattle you go all the way across to either Newark or JFK and then down to MB instead of say going to O'Hare and then down. Everytime I've gone to Raliegh it's been through Chicago or direct from Toronto.

let me check around with my aunt, but the 3-4 condos we get each year can sleep 4 easily (1 master with 1 bed, a 2nd room with 2 beds and a sofa couch).

If memory serves me correctly, we only pay $400+ per condo for 7 days. Its right on the intercoastal waterway on a 27 hole golf course

http://www.riveroaksgolfplantation.com/

Has a few swimming pools, fitnesss area, all that other crap too

Back