Have you ever just stop playing?

lindy72

Reaction score
Handicap
I was a regular player, 2-3 times a week and liked the game and people I played with...Golf trip to SW Florida in late May, good time...Played on June 3 and no golf since...Even moved to a golf community in Fl in Sept yet I still haven't played...Can't give a reason, just don't have the urge..I know I'll start up again, just don't know when...I'm retired and have plenty of time..Have you ever just lost the urge to play? Has this happened to anyone?

I was a regular player, 2-3 times a week and liked the game and people I played with...Golf trip to SW Florida in late May, good time...Played on June 3 and no golf since...Even moved to a golf community in Fl in Sept yet I still haven't played...Can't give a reason, just don't have the urge..I know I'll start up again, just don't know when...I'm retired and have plenty of time..Have you ever just lost the urge to play? Has this happened to anyone?

I am in that phase right now. I have so much stuff going on, and while Golf is my life since it's my job, I have lost the urge to actually go out and play. I would rather be working on behind the scenes stuff with THP and other work related things that don't involve me being on the course. I went through this about a year ago too, where I didn't even want to look at a golf course for about 3 months and then it got better. All it takes is one great round (and I don't mean score, just having a good time) and then I want to play all the time again.

Yes. Took almost an entire year off when my first kiddo was born. Golf was the furthest thing from my mind that year.

not me, cant play enough now

when the kids were born, that was a different story

Naw man I would have to mop the kitchen floor more if I didn't play golf four days per week :beat-up:. I probably put in about 200 rounds per year at least and maybe even more :D

This has happened to me on more than one occasion. After the birth of my first child, then after the divorce a couple of years laterI stared playing again. Got married again and was playing on a regular basis along with softball. Yep then the second divorce comes along. Got married again and decided not to play any more an concentrate on my marriage. Two more boys come along and I started playing after a ten yr layoff but between all the sports my kids were involved in not much time to spend on the game. Now I only have one left at home and he is on the golf team I am playing more and having fun. As soon as he graduates at the end of this school year and I get him off to wathever he decides to to, I will work on the game more and see if I can free up my time with the third divorce!! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<kidding

That's me right now. I haven't played in about 3 weeks after being a 2x a week golfer all year. I'm busy with work, hanging out with friends/gf/family, playing xbox and traveling. It's really starting to suck badly. I need to get out this weekend.

When I lived in Houston I would play 2-4 times a week. When we moved to Maryland in '83, I lost interest mostly because I thought the courses here were more like goat tracks. I started up again this summer.

I stopped for 15+ years. College, grad school, life and kids all came first (and took all my $). Really glad to be back at it!

I have had two long stretches where I didn't play. Right out of college I worked at Grand Canyon National Park for a about 3 years and it was just not practical to try to play not to mention I couldn't really afford to play. Then again about 15 years later when my son was born I stopped for about 5 years. Maybe 10 of the past 40 years I haven't been dedicated to playing better. I don't think I ever went more than 6 months without at least getting out to hit some range balls and do some chipping or putting during that time. Played maybe once or twice during both of those stretches. Enough to remember how to do it but not enough to play well.

The only time I stopped playing was when my wife and I moved from the Bay Area to San Diego in 1984. The first year we played but the play was so slow it took 4 1/2-5 hours to play 18. The next year we quit playing golf and took up tennis. Got into a tennis club and played there for 4 years. The next year after that (1990) we retired to Oregon and started playing once again.

Three years of my mid 30's. Worst non-decision decision ever. I used to walk 9 or 18 every weekend, practice once a week or more. Stopped golfing and my health took a nose-dive. Still trying to fight out of it after rekindling my love of golf in May.

I stop sometimes for a full week to a week and a half, then I will be over what ever illness has me down and go go back to playing 3 to 5 times a week :D

I have taken weeks off between tournaments to get my head straight, but that's about it. And it always works. Had my worst tournament of the year where I shot 88, took 9 days off between tourneys and came out and shot 80 at a difficult private club. That's about it for me, aside from winter :(

I don't ever take time off of golf. I love it too much.

Yup, I have had 3 episodes when I quit playing. First time early 80's I was stationed in Maine and there was only 1 course avail to play close by and it was a pain to drive 30 plus miles to a decent course (non goat track) in Auburn. Took up duck hunting and fly fishing because that's what you could buy a LL Beans. 2 years went by and I started up when I got into the golf business, played 4 times a week and practiced daily. Hurt my back on the job and was out for 3 more years. After finally seeing theright doctor I started playing briefly 2-3 times a week but had to hang it up when we moved and I built a new house. 2 more years and now I'm back at it, new equipment at the end of this year and looking forward to the next few, completely retired and just golf and THP, all the kids will be gone next year. Wish my wife would play, but we still trap shoot together so that's not all bad, eh!

Happend to me too, but for different reasons.
First of all I also played tennis and soccer twice a week. It just took too much time to drive to the golf course as well.
Golf can take up a lot of time, with a little bit of bad weather it's not that hard to see that you become inactive once in a while.

I have brief times when Im not playing well when I get frustrated and dont play golf for a few weeks but I always come back.

I usually don't play much, if at all, from Late October through early January. This time of the year finds me spending most of my time in the woods. After all, hunting is the one thing that I spend more money on each year than golf.
This year will probably be different as my game needs some work and the sooner I get started on it, the better.

That's me right now. I haven't picked up a club since September. I play for fun, not super competitive about it at all. I lost my regular 4 some in early September and just stopped. I've had too many bad experiences with playing with strangers because I'm not a serious golfer and have a low skill level. I've only played two years now. Winter has come to Washington so now it will be March until I play again. I may join a club or something to try and find people the same level as me and like to joke around and have fun.

If I were living in FL right now, I'd be out twice a day. I play nearly every day and have for 35+ years. I've never really taken any time off outside of injury or sickness. I'm guessing you will get it back. Time away is good for some.

Only time I took off was when I was in the Military. No money no time , I traveled to great places but No $$ No time.

I took some time off when I got to high school, I really regret that now because I had so much free time that could have been spent golfing. I can't say I appreciated the game as much as I do now though!

Twice actually. During highschool because of other sports, then spent several years fishing heavily. Played hard another 10 years and quit to concentrate more on work.

Just been back to the game almost 3 years.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Back