How Would You Play With a Caddy?

How Would You Play With a Caddy?

• I play worse with a caddy

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • I play better with a caddy

Votes: 39 79.6%

• Total voters
I disagree. A good caddie will figure out your game in 2 or 3 holes, and would be very beneficial regardless on a course you are not familiar with. A great caddie will be able to help you read greens, tell you where not to hit it, and will act as a sounding board when going thru your preshot thought process. Of course, much of the interaction should depend on you and how much advice you ask for. When I was a caddie, I usually made it known before we got to the first tee that I was a decent golfer and new the course very well (Good questions to ALWAYS ask - do you play golf? of so what's your handicap? How long have you been a caddie?). I always gave certain advice (yardage, wind, distance to play, where not to miss) but would only suggest clubs or read greens when asked since I found that to be a personal preference. That doesn't mean if I thought my guy pulled the wrong club I wouldn't reiterate something like "you don't want to go long" if I thought he had too much club.

I have some found memories of being a looper. In the semifinals of the club championship my guy was 4 down after 5. He blocks his tee shot way right on #6 (Par 4). His competitor knocks his drive down the middle. Up until that point we didn't have much interaction (1st time I carried for him - his regular guy couldn't work that day and asked me to fill in). I suggested he play down the 15th hole which ran parallel, and figured out he need to hit a 160 yd shot to have a clear 3rd to the green. Hits the shot where I tell him. Knocks the next one to 12 feet and asks me to read the putt. He drained the putt and the other guy fails to get up and down. From that point on we just clicked and won the match on #15. Other great memory was in a qualifier for the Associations open tournament. Caddied for a club pro who shot a 67 and was the medalists. I would tell him where to hit it and he hit it exactly where I said. Easily the best round of golf I have ever been on the bag for. He hooked me up with a nice tip (not to mention I drove a cart all day) and plus offered me a round at his course.

I agree to a point dankil, Having a caddie for 18 holes at a random course would not help my game to much. Course management ok there would be help , but the mental part noway at least with me. I belive a caddie should no his player like the back of his hand and get along very well , But for a looper that is hard to do unless your getting the same guys asking for you each week. Plus there are some loopers that just carry the bag and can care less

Played with one once - didn't know him before the round. After 5 holes he was serious help, especially with club selection as I was playing a course I'd never played before with serious elevation changes and wind. Probably saved me 5 strokes or so. Was an odd feeling though. I'd like to try it again and especially with someone I know.

it all depends
especially on what you would term a "caddy"
i have 2 brothers...
one is just horrendous with "help" because he "thinks" he knows your game and it just grinds your gears
the other brother is a tremendous caddy and asks the right questions gives info thats needed and doesnt say "dude you cant get there from here... lay up"
more along the lines of "if you have more confidence with that shot go for it but remember the water comes out about 20yrds from the green... etc"

as far as professional caddies
the guy we had for our group was great
he was hilarious
he knew every inch of the course... dude didnt even use a gps/laser
he wouldnt overload you with info and would answer every question
didnt presume to know our game
and man he had eagle eyes and knew exactly where every single ball ended up even if it was in deep rough

I had my first caddy experience last week at a club up north. He definitely helped. It was nice to walk the course and not have to worry about my bag. This guy had also worked on tour so there were some good stories. Overall, it was very relaxing. He didn't try to club me. On approach shots, he would just say something like "125 true. Playing 140." On the green, he'd say, "Right edge with some speed" or "Two cups". I was playing in an event that day and we (2 person team) ended up winning by one shot. And, I won a closest-to-the-pin. So, it was a great day. I'd say that a knowledgable caddy, who's got some personality, on a nice course, would be a golfers bucket list item.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Something I'd like to do one of these days.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Something I'd like to do one of these days.

Agreed, I would love to have a caddy for a day. Great job on the win Staticline!

havent tried a caddie yet. Im going to Vegas in Feb, is a caddie the same thing as a par-mate?:angel:

I had my first caddy experience last week at a club up north. He definitely helped. It was nice to walk the course and not have to worry about my bag. This guy had also worked on tour so there were some good stories. Overall, it was very relaxing. He didn't try to club me. On approach shots, he would just say something like "125 true. Playing 140." On the green, he'd say, "Right edge with some speed" or "Two cups". I was playing in an event that day and we (2 person team) ended up winning by one shot. And, I won a closest-to-the-pin. So, it was a great day. I'd say that a knowledgable caddy, who's got some personality, on a nice course, would be a golfers bucket list item.

Sounds like a great time, congrats on the round.

Played in an outing this summer at the country club I caddied at 40 years ago. First hole, I was the last to tee off. First 3 golfers totally duffed their drives. I got up there and smacked a 320 yard drive right down the middle. After that, I had a few bad drives with the driver and a great drive with my 3 wood. After that my caddy refused to hand me my driver which produced a lot of laughs and I would up playing well enough to win our foursome. Good caddies will tell you the truth if you let them. My caddy is a scratch golfer at U of Illinois. So, I listened.

Also had a caddy for the first time last year when I got to play in the Celeb AM at Cog Hill, BMW Open. Being a former caddy it was hard to let the caddies do for me. I got used to it, however, I told my caddy never to call me Mr. Or sir.

The BMW Open is for the Chick Evans Scholarship fund. All the caddies there were Evans scholars. It was a humbling privilege to be part of it.

Agreed, I would love to have a caddy for a day. Great job on the win Staticline!

Sounds like a great time, congrats on the round.

Thanks. It's always funner when you win.

havent tried a caddie yet. Im going to Vegas in Feb, is a caddie the same thing as a par-mate?

I've never heard of par-mate.

Played in an outing this summer at the country club I caddied at 40 years ago. First hole, I was the last to tee off. First 3 golfers totally duffed their drives. I got up there and smacked a 320 yard drive right down the middle. After that, I had a few bad drives with the driver and a great drive with my 3 wood. After that my caddy refused to hand me my driver which produced a lot of laughs and I would up playing well enough to win our foursome. Good caddies will tell you the truth if you let them. My caddy is a scratch golfer at U of Illinois. So, I listened.

Also had a caddy for the first time last year when I got to play in the Celeb AM at Cog Hill, BMW Open. Being a former caddy it was hard to let the caddies do for me. I got used to it, however, I told my caddy never to call me Mr. Or sir.

The BMW Open is for the Chick Evans Scholarship fund. All the caddies there were Evans scholars. It was a humbling privilege to be part of it.

It does help if the caddy has some game. The 2 in our group did. My caddies low round on the course we played was 67. When I asked both of them who the best player was among all the caddies at this club, the other caddie IMMEDIATELY replied, "Probably me". I hassled him about that. "You sure? Do you want to take some time to think about it?" After that, he took a bite of humble pie and mentioned that "my guy was pretty good". LOL!

But, the other caddy was no help to his two players. He was getting yardage off the sprinkler heads and my caddy (who had his own range finder). Plus, the other caddy was just giving pure yardage...no wind, eleveation or temp factored into how it was playing. I don't recall him reading any greens either. But, I may have just not been paying attention to that.

The best caddies are the ones that really know the course well. I have not had a caddy carry my bag, however I have had a forecaddy and he was great! Found my balls, showed me where to aim, and told me how far to the trees and stuff like that. Shout out to Zeke at Lost Dunes GC!!!

I always condone caddy because I work as one. For people who don't play with a caddy much, I suggest forecaddying. For those that do or for a caddy that knows the course very well, I'd say let them carry your bag.

I've played with a caddie on numerous occasions. I have good, bad and indifferent encounters. For the most part it's been all good. I love walking and love the knowledge a good caddie can pass along. But a poor caddie can kill it for you

I play fantastic with a caddy. All I use him for are STRAIGHT lines off the tee and yardages, and putts. No draws/fades, none of that crap.

I toted a lot of bags as a kid, but never had mine toted until last Summer at Erin Hills. Awesome experience. Showed me I don't read greens worth a crap. And after a hole or two when he figured out how I hit the ball, he pointed to where I should hit it, and that's what I did. It was great. But the course was an incredibly long walk.

Kevin

Another tally for the "never used one" camp. I think I'd probably do better, as long as the caddy and I had good chemistry.

Played with one earlier in the summer. Didn't make a difference to me but it was nice to have someone telling where to hit, give yardages, and then locate my ball for me.

Thanks. It's always funner when you win.

I've never heard of par-mate.

It does help if the caddy has some game. The 2 in our group did. My caddies low round on the course we played was 67. When I asked both of them who the best player was among all the caddies at this club, the other caddie IMMEDIATELY replied, "Probably me". I hassled him about that. "You sure? Do you want to take some time to think about it?" After that, he took a bite of humble pie and mentioned that "my guy was pretty good". LOL!

But, the other caddy was no help to his two players. He was getting yardage off the sprinkler heads and my caddy (who had his own range finder). Plus, the other caddy was just giving pure yardage...no wind, eleveation or temp factored into how it was playing. I don't recall him reading any greens either. But, I may have just not been paying attention to that.

google it

Here in Northern Ontario, if the wildlife could tell you where to hit your drive, approach shot, aim your putt. We'd probably have better scores, but (hehe) life's not like that. Not much in the way of caddies up here.
In our annual NFN charity tourney (about 10 yrs ago), my buddy Pete caddied me. I'd say it was helpful, but he helped to comfirm my green reading and giving me encouragement. (Tourney's held at our home course) And to add, not carrying my bag made things less tiring coming to the end of the round.
If I was to encounter a course that offered a caddie. I'd take the opportunity to use him/her. It's their job, right? Hopefully, they're a very knowledgeable one.
L8R

i think i need me a par mate for every round

A good caddie enhances the round. I will use a caddie any time I get the chance.

With all this talk about the Morgan cup and pressure. I am curious as to how you guys think you would play if you had a caddy? Could be tournament or regular play but how would you play? Worse? Better?

Caddies for the MC would be aweome, I'd volunteer for that gig lol.

i only had a caddie once and that was during the junior club championship back in 1999 when i was 13.i was playing against a guy who was off 2 or 3(i can't remember) and i was off 7 at the time.i won 2 up after 36 holes and played the best golf of my life over the 2 rnds.i reckon i was roughly +4 for the 36 holes!!!

i haven't had one since....

In Asia I have a caddy for every round.....for the most part all are knowledgeable of the greens which is the most important to me.....the 19th hole isn't bad either.:wink:

I've only played 5 rounds with a caddy so I have limited experience. None were a tournament just regular rounds. Twice with a caddie carrying my bag and the other three rounds in a cart with a four caddy. Courses were:

1.The Ocean Course at Kiawah - this was a walking round with a caddy and also my first ever round with a caddy. I was very nervous the first couple of holes but the caddy quickly put me at ease. It was great going around that course with him and i'm sure I'd have shot worse without him.

2. Bay Hill - two rounds here with a fourcaddy. He was also extremely helpful and his green reading gave me a nice birdie on the 10th hole. Asked for the same caddy for the next day.

3. TPC Sawgrass - Here a fourcaddy. This was my only "bad" experience with a caddy. He seemed kind of dis-interested and didn't really give much help with reading greens. He'd look at it and say "looks kind of straight to me" which it rarely played that way.

4. East Lake - Here a walking round with individual caddy. Very good caddy whom talked a lot about the history of the course throughout the round and pointed out things to make sure and see in the club house. Gave some real good help with green reading too.

My favorite thing about the two walking rounds with caddies is the feeling you get after an approach shot lands on the green. Your still 150 yards or more to walk and your caddy hands your putter to you! Man that's a great feeling! :D

Back