How did you become a fan?

This is a great topic! Unfortunately there are too many on my list. I'll give a few though.
I think I like Tiger more now that everyone else has just about written him off. I remember being in the Bahamas in 2000 on senior week and for most of the time I was glued to the TV watching him desimate not only the field but Pebble Beach as well. I think it was then that I realized what greatness I was watching. Aside from all of his off the course struggles I think many people have forgot what he has done for the game! He trancended the sport. If people remember when he was tearing up the TOUR, everyone was so worried about how they could "Tigerproof" the course. He expanded the spectrum of not only spectators but also who is playing the game as well.

I like Steve Stricker because his game is simple. His swing is artistic to me. I could watch him hit a million golf balls! He goes about his business and lets his game do the talking! He is humble. He still gets emotional after every win, showing me that he has a deep APPRECIATION for the game and what it takes to win. He is money with a putter! Other that TW in his hayday I don't know if there is anyone more reliable with the flat stick. He is a class act and good for the game of golf!

Angel Cabrera is also someone I like. Don't know why but there is just something I like about him. He is soft spoken and seems to be well liked on tour. I have heard stories about him from close friends and they all say the same thing. He is a good guy.

Miguel Angel Jimenez- The man just exudes Charisma, who else on tour goes to a press conference smoking a cigar and sipping from a goblet of red wine?

Darrin Clarke- Just seems like a great guy, down to earth, easy going. Perfect guy to go to the pub with, have a few pints and throw some darts.

Luke Donald- Guy is just an all around class act, and I love his swing

I love watching Jiminez. He is rough and tumble, and plays like a dream.

Tiger then Phil and then Rickie/Bubba.

I know I got into golf after watching Tiger just run through people in the early 2000s and then I loved Phil cause of the lefty. But then once I got to middle school and high school baseball took over my life and I lost my love for the tour and even golf but I would play whenever we went down to Florida or just out whenever. But then seeing Rickie and Bubba(him being lefty brought me back) and Rickie being a young guy and stylish they both brought me back to wanting to watch the tour as much as possible. Tiger got me interested and Rickie/Bubba got me back into it ever since then I have wanted to get better and become a professional.

I've admired and been a fan of many over the years, but if I were to pick three right now it would be:

Feddie Couples - love to watch his effortless swing and enjoy the way he carries himself.

Phil Mickelson - because of the way he treats and interacts wit the fans. I wondered at first if it was genuine, but he has proven it over the years. I also love that he tries bonehead shots now and then, and that he likes the odd wager on the side with his peers in practice rounds. He's also chooses family over all else, which I like.

Ton Lehman - there's a shocker. It's because I played in a pro-am with him once at the Buick Open and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

I'm still warming up to some of the younger guns.

I have to admit to liking Lehman as well. He was probably my original favorite golfer as I remember rooting for him back when I first started getting into golf. Back then he was a Cobra staffer and I think that's one of the reasons (along with my fondness for my old 440sz) that I'm still a bit of a Cobra fan.

1. Tiger Woods, he made golf cool for my generation and made golf a option for athletes.

2. Sergio Garcia, I like the way he plays and seems like a guy I'd love to have a beer with. If he could putt, he would have been one of the greats.

3. Hard to pick a 3rd, a lot of guys that are easy to root for, Steve Stricker, GMac, Jason Day, Phil for example

Phil, Tigger, and Bubba

Phil because he is a lefty and just has always been my idol.

Tigger because he's so darn good sometimes and I love watching him play.

Bubba because he's so outgoing and also a lefty.

If I was being realistic, I would have said Phil, Phil, and Phil. :D

Mine are Tiger and Mike Weir. Weir got a lot of coverage in Canada when I was younger and made golf seem cool. It just kinda stuck with me.

My three PGA golfer faves are:

All time fave is Davis Love III: Became a fan of his a few years ago while watching a practice round at a tournament with my father in law, who was a teaching pro at a country club in TN. He saw my father in law standing near the ropes and came over and shook his hand and chatted with him for a while. He had done a demo day/day with a pro at the club and remembered my FIL. Pure gentleman of the game all the way. He shakes the hands of every person on the first tee and introduces himself to everyone and thanks them for their work. He's a pretty natty dresser thanks to Polo. He still hits it a mile with that long swing of his, and is super approachable. Pretty funny guy too, secret practical joker in the locker room from what I hear. Watched him at a charity tournament in RI a few years ago. A woman fell on the cart path and cut herself while he was waiting on tee box. He walked over to her, helped her up, made sure she was OK, got her bottle of water from the player's cooler, and had his caddy give her a bandaid out of his bag. Good man.

Stewart Cink: Some of the same reasons, I like DLIII. He is always a gentleman and takes time to thank people at the events. Signs autographs until he's done. Seems to have a smile on his face all the time. He is funny on and off the course. I like how he was stunned when he won The Open and was humble about it. He's a big supporter of children's charities in the GA and Alabama region. I know he struggled with his game since but I have a feeling he's going to have a good year.

Bill Haas: Crafty player. Long but controlled (most of the time). Has his dad's creativity when he needs to get out of tough places. Again, like DLIII and Cink, seems to be a gentleman and respect the game's traditions while bringing some new flair to the game. Deceptively good scrambler.

If we were talking European tour, hands down would be Miguel Angel Jiminez. He has incredible game and is just such a cool guy. LPGA, Stacy Lewis. Has a fire that burns all the way through her and you can see it.

I have been fortunate, being an owner of THP, that I have had the chance to meet a lot of the pros both on and off the course and my 'fandom' stems directly from my interactions with the players or through word of mouth in the industry of what kind of people they are. I also select my favorites on how they treat their fans and the public. If they give back to the people who support them, then I will be a fan of theirs.

I'm not doubting his golf talent and what he brings to the table, he just needs to lose the "everyone is against me" attitude which makes him not likeable. Again, don't want to bash but I think it's fairly documented what he needs to work on, and it's not his golf game! I wanted nothing more than to have Rory step up and become one of Tiger's rivals a couple of years ago. Would of been great for the game.

I think all of the greats have been perceived as selfish people at one time in their career. Jack was disliked by arnie fans. TW was disliked, prior to two years ago, because of his selfishness. Phil was disliked because of his approach to golf on course, seve because of his selfish gamesmanship in Ryder cup. Rory is brash and at times a little off puting but I think, IMO, that is trait that runs through the greatest in the game. I don't want to turn this into a Rory debate and do agree with you. But the reasons you dislike are the reasons I think he will be great. If you have any issue with it we can settle in Feb on the golf course....:alien2:

I would have to separate top 3 into 2 categories. Top 3 all time and current top 3

All Time
Payne Stewart- I just idolized him growing up! I can still remember his win at the US Open and I remember crying when I found out he died. Payne Stewart was a great man and a fantastic role model for me as a young man.
Trevino- I just always loved the perspective Trevino has had on life. He had a hard life growing up, but he never let it get him down. I remember going to the Bob Hope Classic every year as a kid and he was the guy I wanted to see.
Freddie Couples- Again, I just love his attitude and perspective. You never really see Freddie lose his cool and he was the first guy that I remember watching in person and thinking "I wish I had his swing." and then think "Holy moly! He hits the ball a mile!"

Current PGA
Phil Mickelson- I have always liked Phil. If he is ever in contention I am rooting for him. I love that he is a die hard family man and I love the way he plays the game. He has no fear.
Steve Stricker- I think the thing I like the best about Stricker is what people dislike the most about him, his lack of flare. I just love that here is a guy who silently goes about his business and just gets it done. I love that about him.
Bubba Watson- What a stand up guy. The more I see this guy and find out about him, the more I like him. He is goofy, has a goofy walk, a goofy swing, and is just a goof, but that all comes together to make a really guy and golfer.

I'm a big fan of the Irish lads for obvious reasons, Harrington opened the door for alot of great young players to shine. Likes of Rory, Graeme and Lowry have done great work promoting golf to youth here in Ireland for this reason I would be big fans of there's.

When it comes to the PGA it is tiger bubba and Fowler for me

I have been fortunate, being an owner of THP, that I have had the chance to meet a lot of the pros both on and off the course and my 'fandom' stems directly from my interactions with the players or through word of mouth in the industry of what kind of people they are. I also select my favorites on how they treat their fans and the public. If they give back to the people who support them, then I will be a fan of theirs.

Also, these are great side excuses to the real reason you love Alvaro Quiros. :beauty:

Also, these are great side excuses to the real reason you love Alvaro Quiros. :beauty:

Haha, very true. But he really is a good, guy the guys at Callaway love him. Every time I have seen him he is smiling and laughing and having a great time. Like a taller, younger, better looking Miguel Angel Jimenz.

haha, very true. But he really is a good, guy the guys at callaway love him. Every time i have seen him he is smiling and laughing and having a great time. like a taller, younger, better looking miguel angel jimenz.

impossible!

I could list a ton of players on Tour as guys that I root for, but keeping with most other people in this thread, I'll list 3.

1) Tiger Woods: Simply put, watching him dominate the Masters in 1997 is what got me interested in golf. I was in my late teens at the time, and watching him made golf "cool" for me. Also, there's no easy way for me to write this without it sounding a little odd, but I'll put it out there: seeing him out there as a minority made it easier for me to see myself playing the game and being accepted.

2) Jonathan Byrd: I actually played soccer with him on some teams when we were really young before he shifted to playing golf full-time. We also went to the same high school. He wouldn't know me at all if I ran into him on the street someplace, but I support him because he's from my hometown.

3) Geoff Ogilvy: First of all, I love his swing and tempo, never seems like he's changing his swing based on the type of shot that he's hitting. Also, I respect that he went from having a reputation as a hothead early in his career to toning that down and playing better recently; I used to get really angry on the golf course, so he's a good model for me to follow. Finally, he's probably the most articulate guy on tour when he talks about golf architecture as well as issues in the game, he just doesn't give canned answers in his interviews and press conferences.

Great Thread Tadashi!

I honestly am a fan of a bunch of tour pros - but I will attempt to limit it to 3 since that seems to be the theme.

1 - Tiger... I was 14/15 ish in 1996/1997 when he was finishing up his amateur days and turning pro. Just starting to get into golf and still remember where I was when he was crushing it at August in 97. He is what got me really got me crazy about the sport. Never forget your first golf love, right?? haha

2 - Freddie... One of my best friend's fathers is very good friends with LaCava - and has played numerous times with Joey and 'Pro' (as Joey refers to Freddie... you can't catch up to that drive pro... hey pro, bet you'll miss that putt, etc etc). All his stories of Freddie are just awesome. He is a genuine guy who is a cool as they come. I liked him even before I met my buddy - purely because of his swing. I actually have a swing thought during a round when I know I am getting too quick and rushing my transition. It simply is, right before I hit the ball.. I say to myself ...Freddie Couples... and then I swing, haha.

3 - Graeme McDowell... Most recently I have really become a big fan of his. Loved his special on Golf Channel. The pics of him after the Open in the private jet getting hammered with his pops and brother(i think?) were classic... Just seems like an awesome guy to grab a few pints with - and is an absolute grinder on the course. Takes care of his family (think he bought his parents a new house after a win on the European tour some years ago).. Just seems like he gets it..

Tough to pick that last spot since I do like so many golfers, but the top two won't change - thats for sure...

My three are in no particular order..

Padraig Harrington - Maybe it was my love for Wilson Staff. But I love the fact that they guy is just real even-keeled and any guy who does the "Happy" is good by me.

Ben Crane - The guys a talent even though there is that whole "issue". He simply seems to like to have fun and reminds me of someone who I know really well. Me.

Fred Couples - Well.. how could I not? That swing is like watching an artist at work. Smooth, elegant and class.

Alex

All time favorite players:
Severiano Ballesteros. Amazing on and off the course.
Payne Stewart, gentleman and a great player.
Too bad that both their lives ended prematurely...

Favorites among current players: G-mac, Rors and Lee. All laidback persons who cares about their fans. I tend to like players who really take their time to care about the kids that cheer for them and wants their autographs. To me that is more important than how they perform on the course.
Just my 0.02 SEK.

My favorites:

1. Rickie Fowler: If you haven't heard the reasons I like him, Send me a message.

2. Rory McIlroy: The kid is full of talent. He's a good guy and his golf swing is about as perfect as I've ever seen.

3. Jason Dufner: This one might be weird but I have reasons. He's a southern kid like myself. He's laid back, never over-reacts and is a very hard worker. The kind of player I want to be.

My favorites:

1. Rickie Fowler: If you haven't heard the reasons I like him, Send me a message.

2. Rory McIlroy: The kid is full of talent. He's a good guy and his golf swing is about as perfect as I've ever seen.

3. Jason Dufner: This one might be weird but I have reasons. He's a southern kid like myself. He's laid back, never over-reacts and is a very hard worker. The kind of player I want to be.

Big fan of Dufner, I like that waggle and the way he goes about his business on the course.
Nice Picks!

Back