Odyssey Flip Face Adjustable Putter Preview

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Callaway Golf Company today announced the April 13, 2012 retail availability of the new Odyssey® Flip Face™ line of adjustable putters. The Flip Face Putter features an innovative, patented system that allows golfers to change the face insert of the putter quickly and easily to fine-tune feel and performance. With the introduction of Flip Face, Odyssey, the #1 Putter in Golf®, further extends club customization options to all golfers, and meets an increasing demand for adjustable equipment that dials in a golfer’s game.

By using a screwdriver that doubles as a divot tool, golfers can unscrew a single component in the self-contained putter head to seamlessly rotate the putter face 180 degrees, allowing them to choose between two inserts—the new Metal-X® Insert or the popular White Ice® Insert. The two-sided putter face allows players to adjust their Odyssey putter for feel, speed and roll characteristics based on course and weather conditions.

“Engineering the Flip Face Putter to be a self-contained and conforming piece of adjustable equipment while also performing to the standards of the world’s best players was not a simple task,” said Austie Rollinson, Principal Designer, Odyssey Golf. “But we love a daunting challenge at Odyssey, and we think the Flip Face – with both a Metal-X and White Ice Insert – offers golfers a considerable advantage to dial in their game with a simple adjustment made before the round begins.”

Featuring a satin chrome finish for a clean, premium look, the Flip Face Putter will be available in three popular Odyssey models: the #1, a rounded heel-toe weighted blade putter with a crank-neck hosel and full-shaft offset; the #5, a rounded mallet putter with a single bend shaft and full-shaft offset; and the #9, a toe-weighted, heel-shafted, flanged blade putter with a long hosel and half-shaft offset.

Among the early adopters to Flip Face was PGA Tour Professional Stuart Appleby, who put the #5 model in play early in the 2012 season. “I really like the look of the Flip Face, and it reminds me of the license plates on James Bond’s car that used to flip around,” Appleby said. “I like the Metal-X insert so much; I love that firm feel. But it’s nice having the option to switch to the White Ice insert if you want to.”

“I also think it shows that Odyssey as a brand is always pushing to develop new things and leading the way when it comes to putter innovation,” Appleby said. “It’s a very cool design.”

Each Flip Face Putter comes standard with a Lamkin® 3GEN® Pistol Grip, made of Lamkin’s proprietary 3GEN material, which is their softest synthetic rubber compound and reduces vibration without dulling the feel of the putt. The material allows golfers to keep their forearms relaxed, apply very light grip pressure, and minimize hand tension for smooth, consistent strokes.

The Flip Face putters will be available on April 13 for a new product introduction retail price of $349.

About the Metal-X Insert
With a lightweight aluminum face in front of a urethane backer layer, the Metal-X Insert provides golfers the crisp feedback of a metal striking surface with the benefits of a softer feel for optimal touch. Additionally, the lightweight aluminum outer layer on the Metal-X Insert has a face pattern unlike any other putter in golf, with oval depressions that create a mechanical lock with the ball’s pocked surface at impact. This mechanical lock creates more friction, which delivers a lower launch with optimized topspin for reduced skidding and the truest roll through steady ball deceleration. The urethane inner layer provides soft touch and saves weight to optimize performance. Together, the two layers combine for crisp responsiveness and sound.

About the White Ice Insert
Developed in tandem with Tour Pros and in step with evolving golf ball technology, Odyssey’s multi-layer White Ice Insert has been fine tuned in the Flip Face line of putters to enhance sound, responsiveness and consistency. Already wildly popular on Tour and among amateur golfers, White Ice’s inner core is firmer and stiffer to enhance feel and resiliency, supporting distance control. Additionally, the insert’s face surface has been roughened to increase friction with softer golf balls, promoting a better forward roll and a more appealing sound at impact.

Odyssey is the number one putter across the world’s major professional tours in wins, usage and top-10 finishes.

For more information about the Flip Face line of putters, please visit http://www.odysseygolf.com/flip-face. For more on Odyssey’s complete product lineup, please visit www.odysseygolf.com.

i-dNGRzLg-L.jpg

pretty interesting i saw my first metal x odyssey putter today at golftec didn't get a chance to roll it but def was interesting and looked pretty cool. dunno if id spend $350 on this one but who knows.... Just seems kinda gimmicky to me. Also would you be allowed to change the face during your round or would that be breaking the rules like adjusting the driver.

Very interesting... it's not for me though. I always that a putter that had a rotating face to add loft to use as a green side chipper would be great for me.

Interesting, but I'm very skeptical. I think I'd rather stick to the same feel all the time so I know what results to expect.

Having seen more than a few pictures of this putter I think this is about the prettiest it gets. In my opinion, for all the time they spent working on it you would think they would have made it look a little prettier on the side you look at all the time.

pretty interesting i saw my first metal x odyssey putter today at golftec didn't get a chance to roll it but def was interesting and looked pretty cool. dunno if id spend $350 on this one but who knows.... Just seems kinda gimmicky to me. Also would you be allowed to change the face during your round or would that be breaking the rules like adjusting the driver.

I would say that no, you could not change it in the middle of a round.

Honestly? I think its ugly as sin.

Add to that 350.00 is a redonkulous chunk of change for it IMO. For that price I'll take a fully custom putter every single time.

That said I know some will love it, rock it, and roll the piss out of the ball with it, good on them. It just doesn't suit me or my eye though.

Interesting, but I'm very skeptical. I think I'd rather stick to the same feel all the time so I know what results to expect.

Yeah I'm just not really seeing what the benefit would be to being able to switch it. You'd think that changing it all the time would make it harder to really get a sense of how your putter reacts

I guess it could be a good idea, I just see grass or loose dirt getting caught in the flip

I rolled it a few months ago. The white ice side felt fine, but the Metal X felt off to me, didn't feel like the standard Metal X putter. I wouldn't drop the cash on it.

Why not offer one side with an insert and one side just milled? It seems to me that it would be more versatile that way...

Sounds like we need to have a THPer review this bad boy and give us some insight to the questions that are popping up already. I really want to see more pics of this putter.

Sounds like we need to have a THPer review this bad boy and give us some insight to the questions that are popping up already. I really want to see more pics of this putter.

be cool to see one in person at the outing.

I guess it could be a good idea, I just see grass or loose dirt getting caught in the flip

That's what I thought too...especially on those early morning rounds with dew and grass clippings on the green...I don't know if I like it or not.

Seems like there are several better options out there for $350.

Now that is cool.

Odyssey tweeted a pic of this a few weeks ago and I thought it was interesting at the time and still think its interesting. I'd love to see one in person before I decided.

I am hoping they have the Metal X putters out at GolfSmith or GolfGalaxy tommorrow so I can roll a few!

VERY interesting. I love this idea.

Odyssey tweeted a pic of this a few weeks ago and I thought it was interesting at the time and still think its interesting. I'd love to see one in person before I decided.

Agreed on the interesting but after using it I don't think it's really practical. The CPC guy echoed that and figured it was one of those clubs for the 0.05% that like to collect.
Odd feeling and one best not use it on sandy or rough greens. Scratch the bottom of that puppy and when you flip it over, that's where your looking while aiming.

Neat, but I wish they brought the whie damascus #9 over instead. That thing is hawt.

Agreed on the interesting but after using it I don't think it's really practical. The CPC guy echoed that and figured it was one of those clubs for the 0.05% that like to collect.
Odd feeling and one best not use it on sandy or rough greens. Scratch the bottom of that puppy and when you flip it over, that's where your looking while aiming.

Neat, but I wish they brought the whie damascus #9 over instead. That thing is hawt.

Is it less practical than that of adjustable drivers or any other aspect of adjustability? I personally don't think so.

I can see some merit to this and have to think this could not have come about on a whim. Odyssey had to of spent a small fortune in its development, my guess is that it will work well as advertised.

I can't say its for me but will keep an open mind for the time being.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I absolutely think its less practical. Moving weights and face angles and lie angles are far more adjustable than one flip of the putter face. One is about fitting, the other is about preference... Big difference to me.
Is it less practical than that of adjustable drivers or any other aspect of adjustability? I personally don't think so.

Kind of gimmicky but I like it. I wonder how different it feels when you flip the face over.

Back