Hello Web.com Tour

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The former Nationwide Tour will now be called the Web.com Tour and they have agreed to a 10 year sponsorship.

In the press release.

The PGA TOUR and Web.com (Nasdaq:WWWW), the leading provider of internet services
and online marketing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses
(SMBs), today announced a 10-year agreement whereby the company becomes
the umbrella sponsor of the newly named Web.com Tour.

Formerly known as the Nationwide Tour, the Web.com Tour will continue
to identify and transition players who are ready to compete and win on
the PGA TOUR. It currently awards PGA TOUR membership to the 25 leading
money winners at the end of the season. Beginning in 2013, however, the
importance of the Web.com Tour will further increase when the new
qualifying structure for the PGA TOUR expands that number to 50.

The Web.com umbrella sponsorship takes effect immediately with this
week's United Leasing Championship at Victoria National Golf Club near
Evansville, Ind., and extends through 2021. In addition to the umbrella
sponsorship, Web.com will also become an Official Marketing Partner of
the PGA TOUR, Web.com Tour and Champions Tour.

The announcements were made jointly by PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim
Finchem; David L. Brown, Web.com's Chairman, President and CEO; and
Bill Calfee, President of the Web.com Tour.

Interesting, I had no idea that Nationwide's sponsorship was expiring.

They could probably come up with a lamer name.

(no they couldn't!)

I can not stand that name. Drop the ".com" and it's alittle better but otherwise man that's just a mouthful to say compared to "nationwide"

Interesting, like others I had no clue that the Nationwide terms were expiring.

I've never heard of web.com

Interesting, like others I had no clue that the Nationwide terms were expiring.

This^^^. JB, do you know if Nationwide was interested in continuing their sponsorship and were outbid, or were they planning on walking away at the end of their contract no matter what?

"Nationwide - No longer on your side"

I guess this is great for the guys trying to make it big. It's nice to know they have an avenue to pursue their dreams.

I love the 10 year commitment!

I remember when the Nationwide Tour was called the Ben Hogan Tour, then the Buy.com tour. We actually had a stop near my hometown and I caddied for it a few years. Caddied for Tom Lehman when he was there and Chris DiMarco played along with another pro I had caddied with another year. Pretty cool stuff actually.

That is interesting.

Reminds me of how much buzz NASCAR got when it switched to the Sprint Cup but now no one even notices it. Will create some buzz but only for a year at most.

I glad they got a new sponsor, but I'm not sure I like the name "web.com" but it is what it is.

I thought I had heard rumblings that this was Nationwide's last year to sponsor that tour, never heard of web.com before but a 10 year commitment is very nice.

That is interesting.

Reminds me of how much buzz NASCAR got when it switched to the Nationwide Series but now no one even notices it. Will create some buzz but only for a year at most.

That's because it was the old Busch series. If it had been the Winston Cup (then Nextel, now Sprint) it would have been a bigger deal.

Add me to the list of those who never heard of Web.com.

I can not stand that name. Drop the ".com" and it's alittle better but otherwise man that's just a mouthful to say compared to "nationwide"

Ironically the same number of syllables.

This^^^. JB, do you know if Nationwide was interested in continuing their sponsorship and were outbid, or were they planning on walking away at the end of their contract no matter what?

I dont think they were planning on renewing.

10 year commitment is a pretty big deal. I'm not going to lie, I know very very little about Web.com. They would not have been a guess by me for the new title sponsor of the tour. However with the new for one to obtain a PGA Tour Card, I think this should be a good investment by them.

I love the 10 year commitment!

I remember when the Nationwide Tour was called the Ben Hogan Tour, then the Buy.com tour. We actually had a stop near my hometown and I caddied for it a few years. Caddied for Tom Lehman when he was there and Chris DiMarco played along with another pro I had caddied with another year. Pretty cool stuff actually.

FWIW, Nationwide did something similar.

Ben Hogan Tour (1990-93)
Nike Tour (93-99)
Buy. com (2000-02)
Nationwide (03-12)
Web. com (12-21)

10 year commitment is good stability for the tour. I wouldn't be bothered about the name at all, it's the continuation of the opportunity for pro golfers that matters at that level, I'd think.

I don't really like the new name much. But it's around for another 10 years, so I'll have to get used to it.

Going to be weird to say Web instead of Nationwide for awhile.

What was the Hooters Tour when it was around....a mini mini Tour?

Very interesting. For me this comes out of left field because I had no idea Nationwides sponsorship was expiring, pretty cool though...wonder how long it will take me to remember not to call it the Nationwide Tour :beat-up:

It could be much worse (or better?)... Just imagine the "GoDaddy" tour?

I'll get used to the Web.com Tour eventually

Good for them to get a 10 year deal out of web.com. Hard to remember the name after so many years of Nationwide.

Back