Andy Griffith passes on

SW

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
It seems we've lost an icon today

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/SHERIFF__EMS_Called_To_Andy_Griffiths_Home_161201175.html

Former UNC President Bill Friday says Andy Griffith died this morning in Dare County. Friday, who is a close friend of the actor, confirmed that to WITN News. Friday tells us the 86-year-old actor died at his Dare County home around 7:00 a.m. this morning.

Griffith attended UNC Chapel Hill where he earned a degree in Music. According to IMDb.com, Griffith was a regular on the Ed Sullivan show in the 1950's.

His legacy role, which earned him the title of "America's Favorite Sheriff"on "The Andy Griffith" show, set in fictional Mayberry, put North Carolina on the map in the entertainment industry. The show ran from 1960-1968, propelling a handful of spin-off programs. Griffith also produced and starred in the television series "Matlock."

Griffith received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005 from President George W. Bush.
Griffith was born in Mount Airy, North Carolina.

Just saw this on Yahoo as well. RIP Andy!!! The Andy Griffin show remains one of my favorites even today.

RIP Matlock!

Is it bad that I thought he was already gone? RIP Andy

RIP Andy. I remember watching this show on a daily basis, growing up.

That's to bad.. Watched the Andy Griffith show everyday when I was a kid.

Loved Andy Griffith and everything he was in. I have the whole Andy Griffith Show series on DVD and regularly watch episodes. RIP

RIP Andy. I watch his shows all the time and it reminds me of the good old days.

That is too bad, we were just joking around about the Andy Griffith show on Sunday morning during an event. Some great classic characters within that show, it's very sad. He will be missed.

Andy was a huge part of my childhood. Sad day in my household.

Tapin for bird

RIP Andy....you will be missed.

RIP Andy. I watch his shows all the time and it reminds me of the good old days.
I watch it and it reminds me of Jones County! LOL

Seriously, RIP Andy, greatest show on TV.

R.I.P. Andy. He influenced an entire generation. He was also a helluva guitar player.

Tough loss for an icon. RIP

RIP Andy.

I still watch Andy & the crew on the Andy Griffith Show almost every day. I saw him on Broadway in Destry Rides Again before his television career began. RIP Andy.

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

That's to bad R.I.P.

He's worth 14 points.

Sad day for NC. RIP Andy.

R.I.P. Andy. Like everyone here I grew up with the Andy Griffith show. I even remember when it started from the Danny Thomas show!! WOW am I getting old!!!

A sad day. Like everybody else, I grew up with Andy Griffin. I lost my dad when I was 7, and after that, I always wanted Andy to be my dad.

Still love that show. RIP Andeeeeeee

TapAhoy!

Very sad day,...I grew up watching that show. Okay everybody whistle along.....<whitles theme song>

Back