Bridgestone J40 Dual Pocket Cavity Iron Review Thread

Call me a wannabe but I would like to try j40 wood and hybrids. I am impressed with my limited time with the irons and the overall positive feedback on the entire line.

Check out the hybrids for sure. I love mine. Lots of info in that thread. Would link it for you but I am not sure how to on tapatalk.

Thanks Cookie!

I had these on the range but today was the maiden voyage. I order mine +2 strong 1/2* flat with three wraps under a standard grip with KBS tour shafts.

I was not to sure of my distances so I trusted the lofts and the swing. I am going say the yardages are longer than my Srixons and a few yards shorter than my R11s.
The same holds true for feel. These are right in between the two sets. There was a harsher feel with the Srixons and sometimes no feel on the R11s on flush hits. The DPC have that melting into the face feel I think we all look for in our irons. I also can feel the shaft load and unload at impact.
The look of these clubs is sick in terms of physical makeup. The nickel chrome and diamond textured back are really sharp. The head shape is a bit of a departure from tradition in the right direction. I had no trepidation standing over any of the shots I hit today and was actually really surprised by the ball flight of the 5i. Those that have played with me know I have a mid ball flight with my long irons. Well today that was not the case, this combo is a portable launching pad. The Morgan clippers has to be loving these in the bag, it's starting that way for me.

Freddie how was your dispersion and turf interaction compared to the other two sets? Also and maybe I missed it but why two degrees stronger?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Freddie: sorta like my experience. I went a degree strong and found them about as long as my old r9s, but perhaps slightly shorter. I did notice higher flight patterns, like you.

Freddie: sorta like my experience. I went a degree strong and found them about as long as my old r9s, but perhaps slightly shorter. I did notice higher flight patterns, like you.

Same here. 1 degree strong. Mine go wayyyyyyyyy up in the air!

Turf inter action was great, nice, shallow and even across the the enitre divot. My dispersion, yesterday, was very tight. In an attempt to get more familar with the clubs I dropped a second ball a few times and I was within a few feet twice and 10'15' feet on the others. This was due to the fact that I figued out I could take a more aggressive line.

I went 2* strong so that my lofts were consistent with my R11s and my old Srixons. I have played 2* over standard lofts for over 10 years.
Freddie how was your dispersion and turf interaction compared to the other two sets? Also and maybe I missed it but why two degrees stronger?

Same here. 1 degree strong. Mine go wayyyyyyyyy up in the air!

I was really pretty surprised how high I was hitting the short irons and the distance I was still seeing. I think I actually may hit them higher than the R11s...hard to believe. So far I am liking the KBS tours.

I was really pretty surprised how high I was hitting the short irons and the distance I was still seeing. I think I actually may hit them higher than the R11s...hard to believe. So far I am liking the KBS tours.

I like them too Freddie. I think once I have more chances to figure out the exact distance I will like them even more.

Turf inter action was great, nice, shallow and even across the the enitre divot. My dispersion, yesterday, was very tight. In an attempt to get more familar with the clubs I dropped a second ball a few times and I was within a few feet twice and 10'15' feet on the others. This was due to the fact that I figued out I could take a more aggressive line.

I went 2* strong so that my lofts were consistent with my R11s and my old Srixons. I have played 2* over standard lofts for over 10 years.

Thanks for the good info on these and looking forward to hear more.

Had these on the course over the weekend and continued to hit them well which was nice. Saturday became a struggle at times during the rain. Those Lamkin grips are just horrible when it comes to playing in wet conditions. I had procrastinated on re-gripping them but now it just has to happen. Still played well on Saturday with them, but the wet conditions and those grips definitely cost me some shots.

On Sunday these things worked very well for me. As I mentioned in the what did you shoot thread I mentioned I had a pretty good round going yesterday. I just looked over some final numbers from that round. With irons in hand I hit 11/15 greens(3 other shots were hybrids). I really was able to get a lot of performance out them which was nice. Even had some misses that worked out just fine on the course. Coming out of the rough they really cut through the grass with no issues. Somewhere in the last couple of weeks I've picked up some distance with these. I'm thinking it's more the swing that I've been working on, but the combination of the irons, shafts, swing has been working out very well for me. I even had a few guys take some swings with them on the range yesterday morning and they were surprised at how much they liked these irons. Now I just need to convince them to buy a set.

My Bridgestone box was at the door when I got home from work. It took me about 20 minutes before I had them on the range! I even went back tonight and hit another bucket (demoing a J40 4 hybrid project x 95 stiff along with a 4 fairway same set-up, thanks to Bridgestone). I lasered the flags twice today and it looks like I'm hitting these J40s about 4-6 yards further than my G20s. The biggest difference, crazy as it may seem, was I found them much more consistent and forgiving than the G20s! It's not even close! So, since our three little ones are at Grandma's house until Sunday, I'll be hitting the links twice this weekend to see how they do "in play". I can't wait.

Thanks again to the guys at Bridgestone for sending me my demos! Because of their top-notch customer service, I've been able to demo EVERYTHING in the J40 line. Unreal! Looks like the hybrid will be my next purchase!!! Bridgestone is the best!!!

Pkielwa: great initial feedback on the irons! Very cool that they sent you stuff to demo.

Looking forward to hearing how the rounds go.

One thing I've noticed with these is how fast the ball gets up and how easy it cuts through the turf. I mean small dollar bill size divots that are very deep at all. Hopefully today I'll get some solid swing feedback since my last round was a bit weak after the 5th hole.

One thing I've noticed with these is how fast the ball gets up and how easy it cuts through the turf. I mean small dollar bill size divots that are very deep at all. Hopefully today I'll get some solid swing feedback since my last round was a bit weak after the 5th hole.

No doubt man, the turf interaction is the first thing I noticed with the Pay it Forward review. Nothing better than what should be a chunky 100 yard 6 iron turning into a 150 yard 6 iron. Could not believe how well the leading edge skimmed the top of the turf rather than digging a crater.

Had these on the course over the weekend and continued to hit them well which was nice. Saturday became a struggle at times during the rain. Those Lamkin grips are just horrible when it comes to playing in wet conditions. I had procrastinated on re-gripping them but now it just has to happen. Still played well on Saturday with them, but the wet conditions and those grips definitely cost me some shots.

On Sunday these things worked very well for me. As I mentioned in the what did you shoot thread I mentioned I had a pretty good round going yesterday. I just looked over some final numbers from that round. With irons in hand I hit 11/15 greens(3 other shots were hybrids). I really was able to get a lot of performance out them which was nice. Even had some misses that worked out just fine on the course. Coming out of the rough they really cut through the grass with no issues. Somewhere in the last couple of weeks I've picked up some distance with these. I'm thinking it's more the swing that I've been working on, but the combination of the irons, shafts, swing has been working out very well for me. I even had a few guys take some swings with them on the range yesterday morning and they were surprised at how much they liked these irons. Now I just need to convince them to buy a set.

Skim alert, which LAmkins do you have? I was gonna try the REL 3 GEN but this might turn me off.

Skim alert, which LAmkins do you have? I was gonna try the REL 3 GEN but this might turn me off.

I had the crosslines on them. Great in dry weather. But they get very slick when it's wet out or very humid.

I had the crosslines on them. Great in dry weather. But they get very slick when it's wet out or very humid.
Had? What did you regrip them with?

Had? What did you regrip them with?

Put new ones on last night to see how I liked them. UST Mamiya Comp SC. I had one on my mashie last year that I liked. So we shall see. If I don't like them I'll just get something else.

43f84be8-94d7-fd41.jpg

Put new ones on last night to see how I liked them. UST Mamiya Comp SC. I had one on my mashie last year that I liked. So we shall see. If I don't like them I'll just get something else.

43f84be8-94d7-fd41.jpg
looks good. I am a fan of those grips. I have the white/blues out in the garage.

Thanks. I have some of the blue ones around too. I'm not sure how much or if they will be better but since I had them around they were worth a shot. They'll get their first round in about 2 hours.

I just got a set of the J40 CB's on a whimsical impulse buy and absolutely love them! I only got 5-PW, so I'm thinking of the 4 in the DPC. Heck, I may just order a set of the DPC's if they are all that! I've just been loving the CB's. I want to try the drivers, fairways, etc..., but there is no dealer near me. :confused2:

I'm really impressed with the Bridgestones. They kicked i20's and 712 AP2's to the corner of the garage. I want to try the rest of their products for sure. GREAT stuff and, in my opinion, a truly under-appreciated brand. The guys I play with are smitten with the looks and the feel of them, as am I! :banana:

I just got a set of the J40 CB's on a whimsical impulse buy and absolutely love them! I only got 5-PW, so I'm thinking of the 4 in the DPC. Heck, I may just order a set of the DPC's if they are all that! I've just been loving the CB's. I want to try the drivers, fairways, etc..., but there is no dealer near me. :confused2:

I'm really impressed with the Bridgestones. They kicked i20's and 712 AP2's to the corner of the garage. I want to try the rest of their products for sure. GREAT stuff and, in my opinion, a truly under-appreciated brand. The guys I play with are smitten with the looks and the feel of them, as am I! :banana:

The entire J40 line is pretty good of you ask me. The hybrids are my favorite followed closely by the DPC's. I have been looking to pick up some CB's myself. Would love to have a combo set.

Glad the CB's are are your cup of tea cocheese! The CB's and the DPC's are both top performers. I was thinking about the 4 iron as well, but I may just opt for a hybrid. I know I have gaps to fill, so I need to get moving on acquiring more 'stones.

Man you made a wise purchase!!!!! Howzat, you're on the right track! We have a thread for the CB's whenever you wanna throw your feedback in :)

Back