USGA King For A Day Thoughts?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a very interesting conversation today with someone that we work with and we were talking about all the equipment regulations that are in place from the USGA. We were not discussing whether or not they are good rules or bad rules, just the regulations as a whole. We started discussing ideas of "If you were King for a Day" what would you get rid of. So here are the thoughts.

You were made in charge of all equipment regulations at the USGA for 24 hours.
You can change or get rid of one rule and one only.

What do you change? It could be anything from COR, to anchoring, but you can change one thing. What are your thoughts?

Equipment related - rangefinders should be legal

All rules - sand/seed filled divot is not considered Ground Under Repair. HATE that rule.

Last edited:
I would like to see rangefinders w/ slope be allowed.

I would like to see rangefinders w/ slope be allowed.

Agreed.

I would do anything to speed up play. The pace on tour has become so ridiculous it's almost as bad as NASCAR.

If I was in charge of equipment at the USGA, and since the USGA can tell independent companies what they can produce apparently, I would create a USGA approved shaft standardization.

I had to think about this one a little.

At this point, going back on the groove rule would be equally wasteful and unneccesary.14 club rule could be dropped since it's sort of irrelevant anyway, but no real point to mess with it.

I'd make it legal to change adjustable clubs during a round. Not so much for face angle, but it would be fun to have a club like the AMP Cell that you could use as anything from a lower lofted driving club to a 5 wood.

Agreed.

I would do anything to speed up play. The pace on tour has become so ridiculous it's almost as bad as NASCAR.

YES!!!! Pace of play is effing EMBARRASSING.

Grooves! I would repeal the stupid Groove rule, it served no purpose and had very little usage effect. I want my old Hogans back and I want them to conform lol.

Agreed.

Not to take this off topic...but it doesn't have very much to do with getting the yardage to the pin regarding slope. It's the yardages to other things and the wind factor coupled with many players having very long and slow routines.

Clubs. I wouldn't change anything.

Rules. I'd allow practice swings from bunkers. Made things so much easier at True Blue to be able to swing and ground in a waste bunker, should have it all over

Agreed.

hmmm. I hear about a THP event taking 5 & 1/2 hours. and this was allowed.

Allow rocks to be removed from bunkers. I know that this can be set as a local rule, but I would have it apply everywhere.

Ball in divot, GUR

OB ball is no longer stroke and distance, but a drop from the nearest point of relief and a 2 stroke penalty.

Signing of an incorrect scorecard will not result in disqualification. Scorecards will be compared to electronic ones maintained by the tournament committee during tournament play for both major professional tournaments as well as the elite amateur.

In the event the tournament lacks digital scoreboards or the ability to track the field's scores, rounds will be compared after conclusion of play. Any incorrect score will be adjusted, and the player will receive a 1 shot penalty.

Oh, and the groove rule was stupid. Roll it back.

Relief from divot rule would be changed.

Equipment - no anchoring.

Everything else - the MUD BALL. If your ball is not in a hazard and it's got a giant slab of mud on it, you should be able to clean it.

Interesting people wanting rangefinders to be legal on tour. I've caddied in a couple of USGA events where they are not legal at all. If you are playing on a course with good yardages on all their sprinkler heads and you have a proper pin placement chart for the greens, you almost don't need a range finder. Having said that, I LOVE mine. :)

I agree with pretty much every post here. Divots, mud, ball moving rule. I think I would institute a few events with different formats. It might be cool to see them in a 4 man scramble and have them pick their own teams. Something like that would be fun to see.

Hadnt thought about the ball in the divot. That would be a welcomed change.

I am little bit shocked more people don't have equipment related issues they would like addressed.

First thing I would change would be relief from a divot in the fairway....that's just a stupid rule.

OOB, would be drop from the nearest point of relief with a stroke penalty

roll back the groove rule, it was stupid to begin with.

Well, since you said ONE rule only...

Divot in fairway should be GUR....free drop.

The next US Open EVERYONE would have to use a belly putter. :bulgy-eyes:

The next US Open EVERYONE would have to use a belly putter. :bulgy-eyes:

That's hilarious. I'd be careful. You might have some USGA goons showing up at your door before long.

Divot rule and the groove rule

Back