Scratch Golf Announces New Putter Line

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a press release

Scratch Golf is proud to introduce Scratch Golf by James Ingles handmade putters. These putters are one-of-a-kind works of art, handmade by the fine craftsmen at the Charles Hellis and Sons Firearm Company in London, England. Established in 1884, Hellis and Sons is a custom firearm company that manufactures high-end, handmade shotguns and rifles, starting at $50,000. (www.hellis.com).

James Ingles' family are the owners of Hellis and Sons. James grew up working at the family business, and has parlayed his knowledge and passion for custom manufacturing into the game of golf. The talented craftsmen responsible for making these putters have been trained to employ old world techniques to hand shape, hand engrave and hand finish each head - making no two the same.

Scratch Golf by James Ingles putters are truly like nothing the golf industry has seen before. As you will note on the photo attached, there is no paint fill in the putter. Instead, all the markings are filled with precious metals like 24k gold, sterling silver and copper. All of the engraving, including the incredibly intricate scroll work and the Scratch logo, are done by hand. Even the ferrules and screws are handmade.

Scratch Golf began taking orders on February 1, 2013. The base price is $999.

2087422.jpg

Umm, woah? That is quite the price for a Scratch putter. Sounds more of a Collectors Item than a gamer.

Agreed WE but Im intrigued.

TapAhoy!

precious metals and a $1K price tag, no thanks

While its not my cup of tea, I can see some people buying these. Just another collectors item for some, or way to show off for their buddies for others.

Nice putters but that's a lot of scratch! Hellis makes some of the finest handmade firearms in the world, these putters I suspect would be made with the same care and integrity.

Nice entry level price.

Wowzers.

I was trying to think of something witty. But I can't. These seem stupid.

We know there are sneaker heads that buy crazy prices sneakers. I'm sure the same holds true for putters. This should attract some serious collectors

If I had tons of dough I'd buy one. Why not?

Ingles does incredible work, truly.

But yes, thats a heck of a price point, oof. I wonder if this relationship will last longer than all of their previous putter relationships...

at least come up with a new putter design for $1k. I won't give these another look.

For reference sake though, the etchings on the putters he makes are the same they do on the shotguns, they are unbelievably intricate and gorgeous. I've stared at pictures of JI's putters for a long time now.

Still, oof.

Somewhere Gene Nead is laughing his butt off. That price point is utterly ridiculous. Half the putters I have seen do not look polished and finished. I wouldn't pay $200 for one.

Somewhere Gene Nead is laughing his butt off. That price point is utterly ridiculous. Half the putters I have seen do not look polished and finished. I wouldn't pay $200 for one.

I'm in no way defending the price, its crazy. But Chunky, FWIW, if you're talking about all the pic's we've seen prior to this one they weren't Ingles', I agree that most of those looked extremely rough.

I'm in no way defending the price, its crazy. But Chunky, FWIW, if you're talking about all the pic's we've seen prior to this one they weren't Ingles', I agree that most of those looked extremely rough.

Pretty sure the pics that I have seen are all of this line. I know that Ingles was not the only guy that made putters for Scratch. But I've seen pics of this line specifically. I would say half of them look half done to my eye. A few had an insert that was not even close to centered. These are awful. Heck I'd get a Circle T over these any day of the week. I would certainly get a Bettinardi. For half the price Byron Morgan will craft a putter that is a work of art. Ari is out of his mind at this price point. He can go hob nob with the rich morons that will pay for these

I wonder if this relationship will last longer than all of their previous putter relationships...

This was my first thought.

Price is no worse than some Bettinardis I've seen. I wouldn't pay that much for either, but whatever floats your boat.

For reference sake though, the etchings on the putters he makes are the same they do on the shotguns, they are unbelievably intricate and gorgeous. I've stared at pictures of JI's putters for a long time now.

Still, oof.
I'll take the shotgun, how much does that cost?

Pretty sure the pics that I have seen are all of this line. I know that Ingles was not the only guy that made putters for Scratch. But I've seen pics of this line specifically. I would say half of them look half done to my eye. A few had an insert that was not even close to centered. These are awful. Heck I'd get a Circle T over these any day of the week. I would certainly get a Bettinardi. For half the price Byron Morgan will craft a putter that is a work of art. Ari is out of his mind at this price point. He can go hob nob with the rich morons that will pay for these

Chunky, you also gave to realize its a full custom, go price out some of the betti full customs.

I do think they look better than Gene's, those never did anything for me at all.

This is like the 4th putter maker they've including trying to do it all in house. When will it stop?

I will at least give him credit for his etchings. They are quite stunning. Ari's personal irons have etchings on them that are very cool. I should just leave this thread as my blood pressure is going up. $1K!!

I'll take the shotgun, how much does that cost?

I think you and I could pool our resources and get half of one. They're handmade.

Back