Atlanta, GA - 2013 THP Invitational Sponsored By Sligo

a tree in the middle of the fairway only affects golf balls driven in the middle of the fairway.

I'm good.

HeHe. It's a very tall Georgia pine tree and is pretty much dead center. It's actually not a bad target, for the reasons you implied. :act-up:

Why oh why must one of my main misses be hard right?!?! No bueno on this course it sounds like. On the other hand, I will probably top most of drives anyway so maybe I won't lose to many balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Here's the one pic I took out on the course today. Lefty78 hit a perfect drive down the middle and ends up in the rough, because this tree is in the MIDDLE of the fairway!

degu9aqy.jpg

Which hole is that? I don't remember a tree being in the middle of the fairway.

Which hole is that? I don't remember a tree being in the middle of the fairway.

Too much shandy during the round? :) It's the 10th hole. Par 5.

ATL hits the ball so far he was probably focused on the trap in the distance and didn't even notice the tree!

Too much shandy during the round? :) It's the 10th hole. Par 5.

I was on the left side of the fairway and had about 230 out. Tree must be more towards the right side.

I was on the left side of the fairway and had about 230 out. Tree must be more towards the right side.

I think it was pretty much dead center. I don't remember distance from the green but guessing 240-250.

I think that is where the seniors should play (6000) yards. Any more would make it a bit uncomfortable. Lefty78 is long off the tee and he may prefer the 6400 mixed tees however personally, I think it would be a bit unfair IMO.

That is probably fair, the blues still have some long par 4s.

Also Bill, the course is not friendly to "old knees." Lots of the knobs and slopes are stupid steep and some of the tee boxes require a stupid steep climb. Lots of the seniors today had blue flags on their carts however, it would have been unsafe to take carts in many of those places. Knee pain made it difficult to take a stance on some of those slopes.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking about maybe taking next Friday afternoon off (Aug 2nd) and getting a practice round in at the Trophy Club. The rates drop at 2pm so that sounds like a good time to try to play. Anybody want to do that?

Also Bill, the course is not friendly to "old knees." Lots of the knobs and slopes are stupid steep and some of the tee boxes require a stupid steep climb. Lots of the seniors today had blue flags on their carts however, it would have been unsafe to take carts in many of those places. Knee pain made it difficult to take a stance on some of those slopes.

Thanks buddy for the scouting report. Maybe I should just come as a cheer leader/photographer type person. :sad:

Ouch, the course is too long for my game and then being unable to take a good stance, I feel sorry for whoever gets paired with me. :sad:

Ouch, the course is too long for my game and then being unable to take a good stance, I feel sorry for whoever gets paired with me. :sad:

This is what I'm talking about buddy. If we play mixed tees from 6400 yards, it no doubt would kick my arse to the curb. Maybe a scramble format from that yardage but that's not in the equation.

DD and OG, If memory serves at the first Atlanta Invitation weren't we able to pick our own yardage? That may be the case here, don't think its been stated either way, but you may well be able to play the 6,000 yards tees which seemed pretty comparable to the yardage you two play at Monroe Country Club to me.

Also, for anyone thinking about booking a room at the $57 rate at the Residence Inn by Marriott the room block expires after tomorrow. Last two days to grab a room at that great price. I booked for Fri and Sat night as the course is well over an hour from my house.

Thanks buddy for the scouting report. Maybe I should just come as a cheer leader/photographer type person. :sad:

I didn't mean to discourage, the fairways are pretty flat. Just be careful if you get on one of those slopes. There is not a par 4 on the course that plays as long as that #4 at your place. (I think it's #4 but you know the one I'm talking about.)

I think you will be fine, especially since you are in the fairway most of the time. No problem with dangerous stances there. I certainly would NOT be sorry to be paired with you and I expect the rest of the field would be honored as well.

Im glad you guys enjoyed the course. I love getting out there bc it's only 10 minutes away from my house. It's definitely one of the toughest driving courses I've ever played. But it's always awesome.

Geez, according to my countdown ticker in my sig, we're three weeks away from epicness!

Geez, according to my countdown ticker in my sig, we're three weeks away from epicness!
I
Them count down tickers don't lie.looking forward to this one.

I didn't mean to discourage, the fairways are pretty flat. Just be careful if you get on one of those slopes. There is not a par 4 on the course that plays as long as the one at your place. (I think it's #5 but you know the one I'm talking about.)

Not taken that way buddy. I'll be ready to kick some arse and take folks to the woodshed :deadhorse:

Not taken that way buddy. I'll be ready to kick some arse and take folks to the woodshed :deadhorse:

I hear ya, us geezers will find a way to take care of business.

I hear ya, us geezers will find a way to take care of business.

I've got my back lubricated with steroids so I'm ready too! Geezers for the win! LOL

I've got my back lubricated with steroids so I'm ready too! Geezers for the win! LOL

I like both, the steroids and Geezers for the win! Way to go!

Sound like we may need some blood testing for PEDs in the ATL.

I am so looking foward to this, however you guys have got me worried with all the talk about such tight fairways. I think it might be smart for me to leave the driver at home for a few rounds and see if I can dial in my 3 wood for this outing.

Back